Against the Slavers, Part 1

Manzanita

First Post
Rowena

To Norbac. "I have fought the forces of Turrosh Mak. I have slain many. And now we are just getting started..."

Rowena wears a tunic, revealing her muscular arms but covering the more private parts.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Fealnne appears on deck in sailor's garb, it would almost be convincing were it not for the hawk perched on his shoulder.

"Morning all," he says with a half-smile, "Learning to look like we know what we're doing while we stumble about the ship eh?"

He takes off any unnecessary articles of clothing but isn't pleased about stripping down, and is quite adamant about not losing his trousers.

maddmic

Explorer
The grey hair of the wolf is seen slightly before his companions head as they both rise to the deck. The halfling ambles towards the gathering of the troupe along with his long time and faithful friend. "Greetings from the forrest friends. This here is Kiya and she has decided that she will assist us in any way that she can. I have taken the liberty of stowing my gear in my quarters with the exception of my spear. So, I take it we're going to learn how to sail this ship?"

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Whistling a happy tune, Gwystyl twirls daggerson his fingertip awaiting whatever tasks the Captain wanted to assign. Obviously ancey, the Elf seemed as if he wanted to get to the destruction of the Slavers.

Li Shenron

Legend
Snipehunt said:
"Not sea-sick, I hope? Good. Becasue we'll be teaching you how to be a real sailor today. Or at least look like one. Strip down to your barest, then come meet me on the aft castle," and he points aft, to the rear, near the rudder, "And I'll show you the ropes."

He turns to walk away, then stops and turns back.

"And tonight, if you favor, I'd like to host a card game in my cabin." He turns and begins to walk away.

Cards? I hope not a crap bluffing game, I am just terrible at that...

Mäelström has just come out of the rooms, and spots a clumsily worn wet towel on his head, which is supposed to provide a slight refreshment from the sun and the heat. He has left almost all his weaponry inside (spear, crossbow and armor) as well as his cloak, since it seems quite hot under the sun, and wears his comfortable rogueish shirt and trousers, but keeps his beloved gloves and sickle at his belt.

Trying to look charming and somehow distractingly having a look at the seascape, but actually dropping a look at the other adventurers on the deck (thoughts in italic): Well, let's see... a pleasant woman of athletic build and fierce gaze, a half-orc who actually sounds very motivated to fight against evil, two elves and a halfling with a wolf... an unlikely team but I think it's gonna be working... or at least it's gonna be entertaining...

Last edited:

Snipehunt

First Post
Fitzman continually takes measurements, orders minor course corrections, and orders sailors about in seemingly random ways, all the while keeping one eye on the adventurers as they slowly gather on the deck. His expression grows more and more dour as each PC joins the others, suddenly turning beet red and appearing to choke when Bribben appears with the large wolf. After a fit of hacking and coughing, Fitzman slowly shakes his head and stares at the sky, as if asking why he has been given this impossible task.

Once Rowena, Norbac, Gwystyl, Fealnne, Bribben, amd Maelstrom are gathered on the deck, Fitzman summons a tall half-orc named Droab and addresses the group. Even more grease and muck spots his clothes than before, almost as if it his coat was a living thing growing filth as fur.

"Well. King Skotti himself asked me for help in this, and I agreed, given only a seasoned crew. They promised me that the recruits would be sailors, able to help crew a prize ship. I get you. Including a noble with his hawk, for birding, I guess, and a dog."

He sighs, but continues without giving any a chance to interrupt.

"Well, Droab here will run you through your paces. You'll be sailors by the end of the day. I suggest you keep your . . . pets down below. Learn well. Droab will send you to me when you're done."

Fitzman turns on his heel and returns to the rudder. Droab, who favors his orcish ancestry, is heavily-muscled, with calloused hands and split yellowish fingernails. His head is shaved bald, although a course stubble showing a receding hairline now coats it, and a large hoop earing dangles from the tattered remnant of his left ear.

"Don' worry 'bout de Captain," Droab says in a high-pitched, squeaky voice. "He talk rough to scare you. He worried 'bout sailing a ship without Droab. You watch me, and you be all right."

With that, he waits for the wolf and hawk to be stowed, or otherwise cared for (OOC - please post what you do. Droab is happy with any reasonable accomodation i.e. out of the way), and begins to teach you the rudiments of sailing - things such as how to walk in a pitching see, how to tie knots and lift sail, how to judge when the booms will swing over the deck (and to duck them to avoid being swept into the sea), and a host of other things. By the end of the day, you begin to feel comfortable aboard a ship, and are pretty sure you at least won't strangle yourself in the rigging.

OOC - there's isn't any skill for "sailing" nowadays, but on board ships your PC's don't need to make balance. climb or rope use checks for "normal" nautical things (like climbing rigging, tying down ropes, or even jumping from booms to the deck in combat to kill pirates). Please don't spend a lot of time roleplaying being offended by Fitzman's disparagement of your companions - it's just flavor. :) And it just occured to me Rowena has a horse. Let's discuss in the OOC.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC:It would be Profession:Sailor. Thanks for making me yellow, tis my fave color.

IC: Gwystyl sets about seeing if he can help in the rigging, as climbing is something that he does well enough. As well, he will use a Mending on any tears in the sails as he spots them, in view of the crew, should any scoff at his help (thus showing himself to be useful).

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Rowena

"Thank you very much, Droab. I feel like a sailer already!" Rowena says.

OOC: Check out the 3.5 Paladin warhorse rules. It seems it now functions more like a special 'summon monster' spell. Her horse just appears when she wants it, fully equipped. It doesn't need any accomodation on board until she calls it. Let me know if this isn't your interpretation.

maddmic

Explorer
Bribben watches the rude captain strut back to the rear of the ship. After the half-orc has once again brought up the animals, Bribben turns to Kiya. In a low, soothing, halfling voice, he whispers in her ear. "Kiya, guard, bed." With that he turns and begins to train with the others, exchanging pleasantries with them as necessary.

Someone

Adventurer
Norbac takes any opportunity to execise his strenght almost as a sacred duty, so he works as hard as he can until he starts becoming bored of the routine. Though, he´s able to make it (but grunting and yawning) till the end of the day

Remove ads