Against the Slavers reprint

jaycrockett

Explorer
I'm not sure which is more 'iconic' but I absolutely loved running my running my players through the A series. We ran GDQ after, and that was fun too. But I love that mid level range.

The S modules are all great, but they are not really connected, just a series of high level 'killer' dungeons.

To be honest though, I'm lukewarm about all these reprints. The book form just doesn't do it for me. If the cover is attached it just doesn't feel right. A weird fetish I know, but as long as Wizards is into fan service these days, I'll put that out there.

Crothian

First Post
Well, Slavers IS getting reprinted, this June. But I think the Desert of Desolation is even more of a non-classic than Slavers is; I'd reprint Ravenloft or Tamoachan or Dwellers of the Forbidden City or Secret of Bone Hill first, myself.

He might have been referring to Slavers, the 2e module that Pramas and Reynolds wrote for Greyhawk that was a sequel in sorts to the original A modules.

While Deserts is less Iconic it is also large enough to warrant a hard cover reprint especially if they include the extra bits from the Dessert of Deselation book that combined all those modules.

Stormonu

Legend
I think the big thing is that this A series will start at first level. GDQ starts at 8th level, and from the poll I did a bit back, that's about the level people start ENDING their campaign. They probably didn't do the U series because it dead-ends after U3. Not sure why they didn't choose T1-4 other than perhaps it's been redone too recently in 3E.

Besides, if they reprint the A series, they can follow it up with GDQ at a later date to expand the campaign story.

One thing to consider is that TSR has been disbanded and these modules haven't been printed in close to 30 years (and Gygax has passed away). Some sort of copyright/trademark might be close to expiring, and these reprints may be nothing more than WotC protecting IP rights. Now that I think about it, the giant series was redone in 4th and Temple of Elemental Evil is surely covered under 2001's Return version. I'm not saying it would be the only reason, but it might be a pretty powerful one, especially those with Gygax's name on the cover.

Mallus

Legend
I think it's a fine choice, though I might be biased since I recently ran my AD&D group through a portion of A2.

I also think it's a good example of classic D&D's oddball charm. The modules name promises fighting no-good slavers, but what do you find as soon as you descend into the dungeon part? Bug men. Lots of bug me, their larvae, and their pet giant ants. This just screams --chitters?-- D&D to me!

Celestian

Explorer
Am I the only one who finds this sort of a weird choice to reprint? While the S series is incredibly iconic, the A series, while it was also created during the heyday of 1E, doesn't seem to have the same cachet to me.

For 1E, the Saltmarsh series is also iconic -- moreso than the L series, as much fun as L1 was -- and T1-4 also seems like a no-brainer.

I am not complaining about the A1-4 but yes I agree, T1-4 seems like a much better first choice or even Desert of Desolation as a 2nd.

Riley

Legend
Does anyone know if this will be a reprint of of the original A1 through A4 adventures, or a reprint of the A1-4 supermodule?

I just received my copy of the S1-4 reprint, and I was surprised to discover that it was a reprint of the original 4 adventures, not the S1-4 supermodule.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Does anyone know if this will be a reprint of of the original A1 through A4 adventures, or a reprint of the A1-4 supermodule?

I just received my copy of the S1-4 reprint, and I was surprised to discover that it was a reprint of the original 4 adventures, not the S1-4 supermodule.
The ad copy suggests it's the original four, along with the new prequel adventure.

Riley

Legend
Thanks Whiz.

Looking more closely, I see that the titles of the new A1-4 & S1-4 reprints are different than the names of the supermodules. Didn't notice that before.

I probably would've skipped S1-4 if I'd noticed that earlier. Oh well.

Seeing that, A0 will need to be good to justify the $40 price tag. I already have the originals.

Last edited:

Remove ads