• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Sail or Medieval Ship miniatures.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Hello Gang,

So, my homebrew is not really a full on nautical themed world. More like... a failing Rome, an Empire beset by forces on every boarder, and with enemies even within. There is though, a substantial amount of water. Several key locations and landmasses are larger islands or island chains.

What is more, a couple of my players want to start up their own fishing and perhaps mercantile fleet. I love ideas like this, because it means investment in the world, and options for more role-playing hooks.

This could of course all lead to naval encounters/battles. And I would like to have some miniatures to go along with that. (will be using the UA naval information)

They wouldn't need to be expensive per say. Just representative of ships with sails, of various types, or sizes.

So far, I have found a ton of like WWII era miniatures, and only a few places that at least used to sell age of sail type ships.

I am hoping you fine folk would be able to point me to some corners of the Internet that I may have missed.

Edit: Hmm this is my 666th post, I hope that doesn't doom this. :p

ccs

41st lv DM
Blood & Plunder (by Firelock Games) - it's a 28mm (IE; D&D minis scale) historical pirate themed miniature war game.
They have quite a # of factions (British, French, Spanish, etc etc etc) for the minis.
Most importantly they make a variety of resin boats & ships in scale.
Game plays pretty well too.:)

You could also look into Sail Power - another historical age of sail game. It's 99% pure boat focused & available in two scales (15mm & 10mm if I recall - so way smaller than D&D figs)

Ares Games makes (or made?) Sails of Glory.
Age of sail navel combat game with a very similar mechanic to X-Wing or Wings of Glory if your familiar with those.
Ships are about 2" long & are all combat vessels

jasper

Rotten DM
I help kickstarter Age of Glory. But since I could not find local players I quit going to their forums. But I remember discussions of using the movement card for trimere and other bank of rowers battles. I suggest you go see if the forums are still active and asking for minis there.

We use miniature ships from the game Pirates of the Spanish Main. They are small ships made of bits of plastic, that you can easily snap together.

51adP2U3kXL.jpg

They come in randomized packs, so you're never quite sure which ships you'll get. But they are the perfect scale and also include islands, reefs and fortifications.

Remove ads