• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Age of Worms- Side quest ideas?

Bryan898

First Post
I'm going to be running the excellent Age of Worms adventure path soon, and was curious what type of side quests people have used to fill out the campaign. Any ideas are welcome, even ones that utilize other pre-written adventures. This will be my first adventure path, I skipped on the Shackled City since the last campaign was devil-heavy, and am definitely looking forward to not writing my own adventures for awhile! :D

frankthedm

First Post
What levels need the padding? Knowing the expected XP gaps make picking the adventure easier.

I had a real Nasty idea actually. Depends how much "DM fiat" you are comfortable using, there could be a free agent trying to turn this statue into a Stone Collossus.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapofweek/ST87678g.jpg
ST87678g.jpg

Last edited:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
My own campaign is just about to start "The Hall of Harsh Reflections," having just finished the third of twelve modules. So far they have stayed pretty much on track, but I have had to add several encounters to fill things out and provide context. Diamond Lake has become the town everyone loves to hate, and players are starting to have "favorite" bit part NPCs.

I have an unusually large party (8 players, in fact), which means I must beef up most of the encounters and add additional encounters in order to keep my players "on track" with the assumed advancement of the Adventure Path.

During the course of the Whispering Cairn, you can get a lot of mileage out of the trio of adventurers from Greyhawk whose appearance triggers the entire campaign in the first place. These are natural rivals, and since they are from the Free City you can use them to foreshadow events in future modules that take place there. Khellek is a Seeker, which plays into a very minor subplot in the first adventure. The PCs will get the Seeker ring from Ulavant's corpse and one of them will probably wear it, which makes a nice encounter with Khellek. Auric is there to foreshadow "The Champion's Belt," where he reappears. Tirra is a good "neutral party" and natural interlocutor with the party, particularly with any elves or rougish characters. I worked her into my game by having her play against the characters at a game of "daggers" (darts with thrown knives, essentially) at the Feral Dog. My party has betrayed these guys once, and is afraid of them. That equals fun for everybody, but especially fun for me.

Because my players did a fair amount of Diamond Lake exploration, I was able to work in Balabar Smenk's gang before they appeared as part of the Filge subplot. This lent weight to their later appearance, so I'd strongly recommend putting them in a Feral Dog encounter fairly early in the campaign. My party ended up beheading Kullen right outside the bar, but the other gang members escaped. I made one of them, the bald wizard Merovinn Bask, a real thorn in the party's side. He used a band of hired goblins to invade the PCs' lair in the abandoned mining office, and murdered Ragnolin Dourstone (from "The Three Faces of Evil") right in front of their faces to cover up Smenk's complicity in the cult activity there.

If you can let one of these guys escape the big fight with Smenk's gang, you've got an NPC in your pocket that can spice up the campaign whenever things get slow and boring. A utility player, if you will.

"The Three Faces of Evil" required a great deal of expansion to flesh out the Faceless One/Smenk/Filge connections and to explain Ragnolin Dourstone's backstory and purpose. He is one of the few major campaign NPCs that wasn't detailed in the outline, and as a result I had to do a little more work to incorporate him into the story.

The main part of "Encounter at Blackwall Keep" is playable in two or three sessions, which is way faster than the first two (at least in my campaign). In order to maintain the pace and to make sure that my players absolutely _hated_ the Mistmarsh and considered it a sweltering deathtrap, I really played up the multi-day journey from Blackwall Keep to the Twisted Branch lair. I made extensive use of random encounters (really planned encounters based on the random encounter chart), relying heavily on giant crocodiles and a covey of green hags. I also threw in a semi-humorous encounter with a wandering bullywug named Groak and his giant toad Chlub-Chlub.

The PCs' fight against the lizardfolk outside Diamond Lake went absurdly well for the PCs. Disappointingly so, from my perspective, but I think the players enjoyed the opportunity to cut loose a little. Using some incredibly sweet terrain we have in the office, I designed a new encounter with lizardfolk in a ruined, half-submerged temple on the way to the Twisted Branch lair. I populated it with a druid (using Hishka's stats but with a different name and personality) and lots of warriors, plus two giant snakes and several poison dusk lizardfolk archers. The fight killed two PCs, but it's one everyone will remember for a long time.

After the PCs defeated the Twisted Branch lair (a cakewalk), the PCs learned that their two new companions, who they met lost in the swamp, had been with an ill-fated adventuring group that was raiding for treasure in a bullywug lair deeper in the swamp. The leader of the enclave? Prince Groak, of course.

The Twisted Branch behind them, the party continued north in hopes of finding warm beds in Blackwall Keep. Taking a cue from a great idea posted on the Paizo boards, I told the players to put away their characters and had them build first-level human warriors using the standard array. I gave each character a longsword, a torch, a crossbow, and some chainmail armor. I had them roll between one and three times on the random NPC personality trait table in the DMG, and made them guards in Blackwall Keep, a dead-end assignment for n'aer-do-wells and losers.

Then I had them investigate the spawn of Kyuss in the basement. These guys can't even take a single hit from a spawn of Kyuss and live (so I weakened the spawns' Strength bonus, just for the sake of a better game), so having the spawn mow through the "normal" characters allowed me to foreshadow the gross worm effects of the spawn of Kyuss in a truly horrifying way. It was a grotesque horror movie, and it was a nice departure from weeks of slogging through the Mistmarsh.

And that brings us to the session that ended a couple of hours ago. By fleshing out the minor characters and using Diamond Lake as an integral "character" in the campaign storyline, I've been able to work in lots of extra fights organically, rather than grafting another pre-packaged adventure onto the beast.

It's certainly more work, but work is half the fun of being the DM.

--Erik

RodneyThompson

First Post
I've actually added two new adventures to the path in order to get some characters caught up on XP. Having 6 players, the party mows through encounters designed for their level, but then they start to lag behind a bit since the XP is divided six ways instead of four, and so they'll reach an adventure and actually not be able to overcome the challenges since they're behind in level. I've inserted two adventures in to provide some extra XP.

The first one was between Encounter at Blackwall Keep and Hall of Harsh Reflections. My players were eager to get back to Diamond Lake without taking time to stop and smell the scenery. So I inserted an adventure (one that I had written for The Game Mechanics, forthcoming) that would help them get more acclimated to the Free City, encouraging them to take in the sights and enjoy the unique flavor of the city. They liked Diamond Lake a lot (hey, three of us are big Deadwood fans) but I wanted them to like the Free City just as much. The party got tangled up in a coup d'etat within the local Thieves' Guild, and spent about three sessions trying to get themselves un-involved. Fortunately, by the end of that adventure, one of my players commented that he loved the city and its flavor, so from that point on I just ran HoHR and TCB as intended.

My players are currently about to finish up A Gathering of Winds, I suspect next session, and rather than have them dash off again on another adventure I want to give them a little bit more time to see the devastation of Ilthane's attack and give them a homecoming to Diamond Lake. I've written a short adventure for them that should keep them occupied, and that I'll also be using to tie up some loose ends from the first three adventures. You see, my players didn't give Ilthane's worm-ridden egg a second thought in the Twisted Branch lair, so in the adventure the town will be attacked by a bunch of lizardfolk Spawn of Kyuss. The party is going to have to rally the town to their side--a difficult task, given the cowardly nature of manu of its inhabitants--and fight off a horde of Spawn of Kyuss being directed by Loris Raknian, who has become a Death Knight after being transformed by Dragotha. During the adventure, the town's defenses will be sabotaged by Ebon Triad cultists living in secret within Diamond Lake (something I hinted at in Three Faces of Evil) and the party will not only have to defend against Spawn of Kyuss invasions but also root out traitors and deal with a vengeful Death Knight. Basically, I want to use a lot of the NPCs that I had to kind of skip over during the first three adventures (Ellival Moonmeadow will feature in prominently as an ambiguous protagonist/antagonist and possible red herring) and give them a chance to confront old enemies and allies (like Filge, whom they let live).

I'm trying to keep my sidequests as close to the plot as possible, using them to reinforce certain themes (Ebon Triad bad! Spawn of Kyuss bad! Diamond Lake destroyed!) so that later in the campaign I can be sure the players didn't miss integral clues.

Bryan898

First Post
Erik Mona said:
I have an unusually large party (8 players, in fact), which means I must beef up most of the encounters and add additional encounters in order to keep my players "on track" with the assumed advancement of the Adventure Path.

How much work have you had to do with a party that large? My own party will be a nice large party of 8. Keeping the encounters challenging shouldn't be too hard, but is keeping them on track with the assumed advancement an easy task?

The Twisted Branch behind them, the party continued north in hopes of finding warm beds in Blackwall Keep. Taking a cue from a great idea posted on the Paizo boards, I told the players to put away their characters and had them build first-level human warriors using the standard array. I gave each character a longsword, a torch, a crossbow, and some chainmail armor. I had them roll between one and three times on the random NPC personality trait table in the DMG, and made them guards in Blackwall Keep, a dead-end assignment for n'aer-do-wells and losers.

Then I had them investigate the spawn of Kyuss in the basement. These guys can't even take a single hit from a spawn of Kyuss and live (so I weakened the spawns' Strength bonus, just for the sake of a better game), so having the spawn mow through the "normal" characters allowed me to foreshadow the gross worm effects of the spawn of Kyuss in a truly horrifying way. It was a grotesque horror movie, and it was a nice departure from weeks of slogging through the Mistmarsh.

You had a lot of good ideas, but this one definitely takes the cake. That's just an awesome way to foreshadow an encounter with the spawn. Way too cool!

It's certainly more work, but work is half the fun of being the DM.

True, but come Fall I'll be back in school. Full time college and full time work doesn't leave much time for working on D&D stuff :\ . Fortunately the good people at Paizo supply these wonderful adventure paths ;).

Remove ads