Age of Worms Storyhour [Updated December 26, 2006]

Spatterlight

First Post
Age of Worms: Background

The information below provides some context for the setting of the adventure. It will be updated as time goes on and more of the town is interacted with.

[size=+1]General Background[/size]

Diamond Lake is a mining town with over one thousand citizens. The population is primarily humans, but a number of halflings and gnomes make their home here as well. Most of the people in town are workers from the mines. The lake the town is named for is set between three hills and the town is on the shores of the lake itself. Many years ago, the town was known for its fishing trade. However, pollution from mining has killed most of the fish in the lake and the trade has all but disappeared.

People

Ragnolin Dourstone (Male Dwarf): Ill-regarded and cruel mine owner.

Chaum Gansworth (Male Human): A younger mine owner and the proprietor of the "The Rusty Bucket", a local restaurant.

Allustan Neff (Male Human): Brother of the mayor. This friendly wizard is rumored to be the smartest man in town.

Balabar Smenk (Male Human): An older, wealthy, and ambitious mine manager. As of late, he has been aggressively buying out mining claims from bankrupt competitors. He is known for his ruthlessness, love of excess, and gaudy tastes.

Locations

The Emporium: A gambling hall, brothel, and sideshow. Run by Zalamandra, a female human, and staffed by a number of freaks and former workers from a traveling sideshow.

The Feral Dog: A dive noted for cheap ale, brawls, and dog fights.

Jalek's Flophouse: A former fish warehouse converted into a flophouse when the lake was polluted by the mines.

The Rusty Bucket: A restaurant that long ago specialized in fish, but now offers more conventional fare. Considered neutral ground between the mine owners.

[size=+1]Locations Near Diamond Lake[/size]

The Cairn Hills: The crags surrounding the city of Greyhawk that have many ancient burial complexes of long-dead civilizations. The majority of them have long been looted by treasure hunters out of Greyhawk and the surrounding area.

Last edited:

Spatterlight

First Post
Age of Worms: Characters

Current Characters
  • Aiyda (Female Human, Bard): A young songstress just setting out into the world.
  • Cypress (Male Elf, Druid): A servant of nature sent to right the wrongs committed against the environment.
  • Doctor Voo (Male Human, Cleric of Wee Jas): A prophet of the Stern Lady recently roused from a quiet life.
  • Max (Male Halfling, Rogue): A talent scout and opportunist ready to twist any situation to his advantage.
  • Natasha (Female Human, Ranger): An idealist with visions of solving the world's problems.
  • Scorch (Male Human, Fighter): A washed-up gladiator seeking a second chance at fame and glory.
  • Sergi (Male Human, Sorcerer): A vain sorcerer-artist escaping the tyranny of his father.
Inactive Characters
  • Cypress (Male Elf, Druid): A servant of nature sent to right the wrongs committed against the environment.

Below is a description of each character's history, appearance, and a link to the character's current miniature. History and appearance were provided by each player.

[size=+1]Aiyda[/size]
Female Human, Bard

Background: Aiyda has spent her entire life in Diamond Lake. The daughter of a prostitute employed at the Emporium, she is Doctor Voo's half-sister. Growing up in the Emporium she has witnessed many terrible things. She has also heard all manner of stories of riches and fame that can be found on the road from the former sideshow performers and freaks of the Emporium. Fearful she will be dragged into her mother's occupation, Aiyda has set out to explore some of the area around Diamond Lake.

Appearance: Aiyda stands 5'7" and is 16 years old. She has a rather boyish figure, but she has started to fill out and become more womanly. Aiyda has light caramel skin, arresting apple green eyes, and long, loosely curled sun-streaked brown hair. She has gently curved lips, high cheek bones, and a rather pert nose. Her slightly almond-shaped eyes are surrounded and framed by thick lashes and delicately arched eyebrows. She generally fancies blouses and a style of pants/skirt that was all the rage in Greyhawk several years ago.

Miniature: Link

[size=+1]Cypress Teak[/size]
Male Elf, Druid

Background: Cypress and his companion wolf, Root, have been drawn to Diamond Lake by the destruction of nature's balance by the mining activities. Caring little for the laws of man, Cypress considers himself to be an extension of nature's hand, returning things to their rightful state. He believes that just as animals find a balance within their environments, so should humanoids, by force if necessary. Cypress has befriended Natasha, who shares his love of nature and the hated of her father, Balabar Smenk.

Appearance: Cypress stands 4'9", weighs 89 pounds, and is of an indeterminate age. He has a lean figure, pale skin, and shoulder length dark brown hair. His eyes are a steel gray and his face is usually hidden in shadows from the hood of his dark gray cloak. In the rare times his face can be viewed clearly, a long scar running lengthwise along the left side of face can be seen. His clothing is of fine elven make and he favors earthen colors such as deep browns, subtle earthy greens, and dark crimsons.

Cypress' Miniature: Link
Square Root's Miniature: Link

Note: Root was killed in Session 2 by a swarm of beetles. In Session 3, a new wolf named Square Root was brought into play. We are all hoping Cypress doesn't have to go out and find Cube Root. :)

[size=+1]Doctor Voo[/size]
Male Human, Cleric of Wee Jas

Background: Doctor Voo has long been a denizen of Diamond Lake and owns a small shop. Here he creates all manner of strange brews, unguents, and powders for sale to the townsfolk. For the faithful of Wee Jas, or for those with no one to bury them, Doctor Voo presides over many burials and funerals. He also spends time with his younger half-sister, Aiyda. As the story begins, Doctor Voo has recently been pulled from his quiet life by visions and dreams sent by his dark goddess. It seems he has been quested to seek out a rare artifact and the Whispering Cairns is calling to him.

Appearance: Doctor Voo stands 6'2", weighs 190 pounds, and is 35 years old. He has a slim build and dark black skin. His long dark hair is kept in dreadlocks and his eyes are murky and weird. Doctor Voo has a jagged scar from an improperly stitched wound over his right eye. He customarily wears black robes and bares a staff topped with a human skull. Hung around his neck are a string of skeletal remains and a holy symbol of Wee Jas.

[size=+1]Maximilian Shecklestein (AKA "Max Sheckles")[/size]
Male Halfling, Rogue

Background: As slick as they come, Max is a smooth-talking conniver and expert showman. For years now, he has been setting himself up as manager and agent for all manner of artists and talent. He has hit a bit of rough patch lately, with Scorch his only remaining client. Recently, he has discovered Aiyda in Diamond Lake and is sure she is the next big thing. Always ready to seize any opportunity, Max is delighted to hear of an ancient tomb known as the Whispering Cairn that yet may still be filled with treasures. He immediately begins forming a crew to plunder it.

Appearance: Max stands 2'11" and weighs 33 pounds. Svelte and suave, Max has lightly tanned skin and black hair, slicked back and combed to perfection. He has almond colored eyes and usually has a cigar clamped in his mouth. His clothing is a little shabby, but he keeps what he has neat and clean. He also wears a rather dashing cloak.

[size=+1]Natasha Smenk[/size]
Female Human, Ranger

Background: Natasha is the daughter of Balabar Smenk, a powerful and ambitious mine manager in Diamond Lake, and younger sister of Sergi Smenk. Like her brother, Balabar has plans for his daughter to help the family business. In this case, he is planning to marry her off to another mine owner's son in an attempt to expand his holdings. However, Natasha despises her father for all the misery and destruction his scrambling for power causes. She feels that the drive for consolidation of power is the root of much evil and has begun espousing a philosophy of equality for all people. The one thing she does share with her father is a love of gladiator matches. When Scorch wandered into town, she immediately took notice of him.

Appearance: Natasha stands about 5'5" and is 18 years old. She has an athletic build, dark black hair that is cut short, and blue eyes. Despite much time spent outdoors, her skin is fairly pale. She generally wears dark clothing, favoring pants and tops that show off her abs, and a bright red cloak. Natasha usually does not wear jewelry, finding it impractical, but does have a choker she wears everywhere.

[size=+1]Scorch[/size]
Male Human, Fighter

Background: Scorch was once at the top of his game and was one of the premier gladiators of his day. However, after a humiliating defeat at the hands of B'Tok the Brute, a merrow (aquatic ogre) of tremendous strength and ferocity, he left the games behind in defeat. Ten years have passed since then, all of them squandered in bitterness and regret. As the story begins, Scorch has been in Diamond Lake for about six months, slowly drinking his life away.

Appearance: Scorch stands 6'3", weighs about 200 pounds, and is a little over 30 years old. He has red hair, which is showing the first signs of retreat about his temples, and piercing green eyes. He is routinely unshaven and is usually pretty dirty. When not in armor, Scorch generally wears only a loose pair of trousers and his boots. His fists are habitually wrapped in strips of cloth and he never wears a shirt unless forced to. His skin is tanned and his body is covered with tattoos and scars. The most noticeable tattoos are the word SCORCH written over his stomach in huge letters and the flames which cover his hands and forearms. Many of the other tattoos are in recognition of fights and gladiator matches he won long ago. He is also missing the pinky and part of his ring finger on his left hand.

[size=+1]Sergi Alixander Smenk [/size]
Male Human, Sorcerer

Background: Sergi is the son of Balabar Smenk, a powerful and ambitious mine manager in Diamond Lake, and older brother of Natasha Smenk. Balabar has put his son to work in the family business, despite his complete hatred for it. An artist at heart, Sergi has no love for the backwater town of Diamond Lake, which he finds to be depressing and completely lacking in any form of culture. As the story begins, Sergi has begun to look for a way to escape the small town. He is also trying to protect his sister, Natasha, from her infatuation with Scorch.

Appearance: Sergi stands 5'11" and is 25 years old. Sergi has a lean build and pale skin. His black hair is shoulder length and he has dark eyes. Fastidious and clean shaven, Sergi always takes the time to look his best and closely follows the fashion trends of Greyhawk. Currently, he favors tight clothing of light colors.

Miniature (Center Blue Robed One): Link

Note: In Session 8, Sergi gained a familiar. This was the bear cub that was rescued in Session 6 and his name is Audit. His odd name is the result of a complicated group in-joke involving bears, taxes, and a whole lot of grappling.

Last edited:

Spatterlight

First Post
Session 1
June 16, 2006

Scorch leaned back in the chair, his legs sprawled out in front of him on the rough table. Over a bewildering array of dirty bottles, stained wooden plates heaped with small greasy bones, and an overturned tankard, the gladiator watched a mongrel tear into a three-legged dog. The vicious bite drew a spray of bright arterial blood, sending one of the filthy serving girls squealing and the mangy denizens of the Feral Dog into a roar. Scorch distractedly watched as the dying dog was taken to the kitchen and the betters settle their scores. He was not surprised when a disagreement over a wager came to blows.

"So, this is how it ends for our kind." Scorch thought, his good right hand unsteadily lifting a bottle to cheer the doomed dog. His drunken mind wandered and as always it settled on that day, now ten years past. The distant buzz that must have been crowds yelling. The smell of the sea and blood and sweat, the blue-green of the marrow's scaly hide as it jerked him to his feet by his face. A sudden swelling of sounds, howls of approval and screamed jeers. And then falling, dirt, a cracking of bone, and darkness.

A sudden blow to his head catapulted him to the present. The gladiator tried to spring to his feet, but as he was sitting with his boots on the table, he instead went sprawling. With a mighty crash, the table fell and all its contents went flying. Scorch stumbled to his feet, his face flushed with embarrassment and anger, preparing to deliver a crushing blow to whoever threw the first punch.

Instead, he saw Max putting his sheathed rapier back into his belt. Calmly he pulled a comb from a pouch, smoothing his slick hair back into place, "Really, Scorch! I am not sure if you are aware of this, but the sun has not even reached its zenith!" Scorch stared blankly for a moment, his mind reeling. The halfling continued, "And I can not have my prime talent wasting his valuable time here. Now, I suggest you take a brief constitutional. We have business to discuss!" Scorch lurched out of the Feral Dog, holding his hands up to his eyes as the bright sunlight stabbed at them. Behind him, he could make out the sound of catcalls and fought the urge to go back in.

Staggering into the center of the large square that formed the center of Diamond Lake, Scorch spun around to confront the halfling as he came out of the Feral Dog. Scorch thrust a single dirty finger at his manager, ready to explode into a drunken tirade. Max nonchalantly glanced at the gladiator, "Well then, that took a few coins to straighten out. It will, of course, come out of your earnings." Scorch sputtered for a moment, unsure what to say as the rage left him. "But they have been fewer and fewer in these latter days." Max continued, "However, it seems that too might change. Walk with me, Scorch."

Scorch, his anger now forgotten, walked the muddy streets of Diamond Lake with the halfling. "An opportunity has presented itself that may make us both quite rich. It has come to my attention that a trio of treasure seekers out of Greyhawk have recently entered town." The halfling stopped in his tracks, nodding to the side, "Well, speak of the devil, there they are! Do you see them?" Across the street, in front of the general store stood three people, speaking to the owner and apparently asking for directions. They were clearly explorers and adventurers, but that was not what caught Scorch's attention. The larger of two men, handsome and young, wore an oversized belt signifying a high rank in the gladiator circles of Greyhawk. Scorch growled, "I see him."

Max nodded and moved on, "Do not stare then. It appears that they are seeking information on the Stirgenest Cairn, which has long been played out. However, there are other cairns in the hills that might still hold treasure of elder times. One of which I have recently discovered is called the Whispering Cairn. The children of the town use it as a play space, but to everyone's knowledge no one has gone very deep into it." Max continued, in a lower voice, "Particularly after that unfortunate business about that girl disappearing."

Scorch furrowed his brow, "Wait, wait. What that last part?" Max looked up, smiling angelically, "Children play there and it is largely unexplored. I hope I am not going too quickly for you." The gladiator gave him an icy glare, but said nothing. Max continued, "As I was saying, we must act before they do. It is only a matter of time before someone points out they are looking in the wrong place." With a theatrical movement, the halfling swirled around, stopping Scorch. "So, how would you like to expand your horizons a bit? I think the title of treasure-seeker and adventurer suit you quite well. In addition, I have already lined up some excellent talent for this expedition! Really top-notch people."

Scorch scratched his heavily stubbled chin with a dirty hand. "Adventurer, huh? This isn't another scam like that one you got me involved in Free City is it?" Max feigned hurt, "We have discussed that many times. Really that was a series of extremely unfortunate events over which I had no control ..." The gladiator cut him off, "Whatever. I'll do it. I need the coin something bad. When are we going?" Max looked up, "Unless you have more pressing engagements, we shall leave post-haste. I hope, with your busy schedule of drinking, you can find the time to ..." Scorch shot him another angry stare that silenced the smirking halfling and said, "I'll be back with my stuff."

The gladiator weaved his way back to the Feral Dog to get his last remaining possessions; his blades and armor, his helm and shield. As he approached the Feral Dog, his thoughts were broken when a shrill voice called his name out from across the square. Turning, he saw it was Natasha, her red cloak flapping wildly as she ran. Scorch instinctively put his good hand to his temples, preparing for the onslaught, as she raced to him. She hit him like a tidal wave; all news, gossip, names, rumor, girl insight. Threads of information wove and twisted, and like a drowning man, Scorch tried to grasp at anything to keep afloat -- "My father is such a bastard. Did you know he..." "Uh-huh." -- "Did you see the gladiator in town?" "Yep." --

And finally she arrived at something he seized on. "So, me and some of the others are thinking about going to the Stirgenest Cairn and see what we can find. Come with us!" Scorch nodded for a moment, "Yeah, we're not doing that." Natasha looked dejected for a moment as the gladiator continued, "Max has something cooking. Something about a place called the Whooshing Cairn. No, that's not right. Whispering Cairn?" At the mention of the Whispering Cairn, the girl's face lit up, "I've been there! Most of us from town went there when were children...It's a very eerie place." Scorch gave a grunt, "Well, that's where I am going. If you want to lead the way, grab your stuff and meet back here." The girl nodded and darted off, disappearing around a corner. The gladiator watched her go, feeling the first twinges of a headache creeping up from the base of his skull. Deciding he could use a drink to calm his nerves before he got his equipment and left, he entered the Feral Dog once more.

Several hours later, Max and Natasha guided a woozy Scorch to the spot outside of town Max had chosen to gather his team of treasure hunters. Standing in the shade of a tree were three figures. Scorch immediately recognized one of the people and staggered forward, "Doctor Voo! How's it going, man?" The cleric of Wee Jas smiled, his strange eyes turning toward the gladiator, "Good mon, no worries." The gladiator pumped the cleric's hand, "Glad to see you." And then, in a drunken whisper, he added, "I wanted to say, man, I don't know what you gave me the other week. It tasted like crap, but hey, the problem downtown is all good. Thanks!"

Lurching around, he took a look at the other people, a dim flutter of recognition drifting across his sodden brain. His eyes first settled on the pretty young lady standing next to Doctor Voo. The gladiator openly ogled her for a moment, trying to remember where he had seen her before. The girl took a step back and wrinkled her nose at the train-wreck before her, "Wow. I didn't think he could smell worse than last time I dropped medicine off for my brother. But I was wrong." Hearing her voice, Scorch remembered that this was Aiyda, Doctor Voo's uppity little sister.

Unable to think of a snappy comeback, he turned his attention to the last figure. This one he knew. It was Sergi, Natasha's older brother. Scorch grinned, mocking her immaculately dressed brother, "Hey nerdlinger, nice outfit. Extra fancy!" Already staring in disgust, Sergi turned to his sister, "Seriously, Natasha! What do you see in this uncouth barbarian?" Before she could answer, Max gave a shout, "Enough!" Looking around, he smoothed his cloak, saying, "It is of greatest importance that we move out. I believe we have only a limited time before those treasure hunters make their way to the Whispering Cairn. We must make haste." Amidst some grumbling, the group set out along the lonely road toward the cairn.

With Natasha in lead, the group traveled for two days. Late in the afternoon of the first day, the group was attacked by a colony of stirges. During the fray, a mysterious elf and his pet wolf sprang from the forest, assisting the beleaguered group. After the fight, Natasha introduced the elf as Cypress, a friend of hers. The quiet elf explained that he was on an errand of importance, but agreed to travel with the group to the area near the Whispering Cairn, as that was were he was heading anyway.

As twilight approached, the group decided to stop for the evening. The group made camp, but it soon became evident that Scorch had come completely unprepared. Having no tent, bedroll, or even rations, it was only the kindness of Natasha that saved him from a long cold night. Accepting her offer over the protests of Sergi, Scorch proceeded to crawl into her tent, his knees popping loudly as he crouched down. The evening passed without incident, the moon riding high in the cloudless sky.

The next morning, Scorch emerged from Natasha's tent, seeing Natasha standing next to Aiyda across camp. The bard gave him a withering look as Natasha excitedly whispered something in her ear. For a moment, Aiyda's eyes widened, but then narrowed into a hard stare of unadulterated disgust. Not liking the look or where this was going, Scorch began to put on his armor, when Natasha bounded over and began to help him. Scorch looked helplessly to the sky as she fussed with one of the armor's straps, asking for the third time whether it was too tight. Glancing to one side, he saw Max silently laughing as he preened himself. Catching the eye of the halfling, he growled "Shut up." Looking under one arm, he saw an astonished Natasha staring up at him. Sighing, he nodded at Max and said, "Not you, baby. Him." With a grin, the halfling snapped his tin of pomade shut and smoothed the last errant strand of hair into place. Jumping to his feet, the halfling turned to the others, "Let us away! Untold riches await us!"

The group moved out and by noon on the second day, Natasha, Aiyda, and Sergi, all of whom were locals, guided them off the main road. They followed a weed-choked side path they assured the group would take them to the cairn. Before they arrived, however, they stumbled upon a crumbling building surrounded by a low ruined wall. Aiyda, remembering a story a barfly at the Emporium had told her, mentioned that it was an old mining office. Natasha went to one knee, taking a look at some vague patterns in the dirt and lingering over several broken lengths of grass. Glancing at the office and then looking back to the group, she said, "Looks like something has been here lately. Whatever it is, it is definitely not human."

Deciding to take a look in the office, but fearing there may be monsters afoot, the group drew their weapons and approached the building. Scorch took lead and with a resounding crack, smashed in the door with one well-placed kick. Inside a large room, several startled lizard men were already jumping to their scaly feet to meet the invaders. Biting and clawing, they crowded the door and Scorch hacked into them. Seeing he was blocking one of the few passages into the room, he moved in. As he did, a side door swung open, revealing a large lizard man with a spiked club and tortoise shell shield. This thing, obviously their leader, yelled in their savage tongue and gestured to the back of the room, where a large set of doors could be seen. Two of the lizard men broke off and swung open the door.

From within, several large lizards lumbered forth to join the fray. The others in the group had now entered into the room as well, hacking at all manner of reptile. Scorch bellowed a challenge to the leader of the lizard men and soon the two were locked in melee. The gladiator desperately tried to pierce the creature's defenses, but each blow was turned away by scale or shield. With a savage blow, the lizard man clubbed Scorch, dropping him. The others in the group fought vigilantly with spell and steel and soon the lizard men and their pets were defeated.

The battle, however, had taken its toll. Scorch was revived through the curative magics of Cypress and Doctor Voo, but soon their spells were exhausted on the many wounds of the group. Max, who had not been hurt in the battle with the lizard men, decided to take a look around. Climbing into what was once a kitchen through a broken window, the intrepid halfling soon found trouble. While rummaging through a collapsed shelf, he accidentally disturbed several snakes that had made their lair there. The halfling leapt through the window to escape and ran back to the front door of the building, screaming all the way. Scorch, hearing the yelling, strode through the building to see if Max was hurt. As he made his way into the kitchen, the serpents spotted him and attacked. After a brief but tense battle, the snakes were defeated.

After much discussion, the group decided to take a cursory look around the office for any more dangers. In the room the lizard man leader had been in, the group found a ragged nest and also made a gruesome discovery. A dead man in armor lay crumpled in one corner. Examining the corpse, Doctor Voo concluded that the man had been taken by violence and judged the wounds the work of the lizard men. Speaking up, Cypress quietly stated he had been looking for this man and that he would have to leave soon to report his death. Finding a few trinkets under a loose floor board, the group quietly moved back into the kitchen. After searching around a bit, a door was found that lead into a pitch-black basement. Descending a rickety staircase, it soon became apparent that the basement was filled with rats and the group only took a brief look around. However, the quick search was fruitful, as a number of mining implements and an old box filled with coins were found.

Weary from the battles of the day, the group decided to spend the rest of the day recuperating. They set about cleaning up the old mine office a bit, for it seemed an ideal base camp for their forays into the nearby Whispering Cairn. Doctor Voo suggested they give the dead man they had found a decent burial and lead the brief ceremony. Scorch refused to assist in any of the activities, instead lazing about on the sunken porch of the office, watching the others go about their work. Natasha got her revenge that evening after Scorch had fallen asleep. She carefully smeared poison ivy inside of the gladiator's armor and boots and the next day, it was only a pungent ointment provided by Doctor Voo that saved him for the terrible itching.

For several days, the group stayed at the office, still recovering from their wounds. Each night, they could hear the rats in the basement moving about. Deep one night, the rats slunk from the cellar and struck. Max and Sergi, who had been sleeping in the main room, were struck and only managed to give a strangled cry before being swarmed by the little monsters. The others soon managed to make their way into the room to fight the giant rats. Having lost the element surprise, they were quickly dispatched by the remainder of the group. The next day, the group recovered and Cypress and Doctor Voo assured that no one would get sick from the unclean bites of the great rats.

Fully rested and a couple days later than anticipated, the group gathered one morning and set out for their ultimate destination: The Whispering Cairn.

Last edited:

Spatterlight

First Post
Session 2
June 23, 2006

"So, Aiyda. You're a bard right?"

Aiyda rolled her eyes and tried to ignore Scorch as the group made their way to the Whispering Cairn. Never one to take a hint, the gladiator continued unfazed, "Well, I was wondering if you have any stories about adventurers. I am new to this gig and I could use some tips," and then in a slightly louder voice added, "because my manager is mostly useless." The songstress glanced at the gladiator, trying to determine if he was serious. Seeing he was, a smile crept across her face as she pretended to think, "Of course! Let me tell you a story about a hero of antiquity!" Scorch listened intently as the group walked. "In elder times, the great hero Enesto Voritad set out to slay the dread dragon Kelperath. Striding across the world, he brought his own rations, bedroll, and tent, for the journey was long ..." The gladiator threw up his hands, "All right! Message received! Man, I'll tell you what. You are lucky you have your looks, because ..." Aiyda smirked as Natasha cut Scorch's tirade off, "We're here."

The group stepped into a small clearing in front of a sharp uprising of stone in the hillside. Set into the stone was a monolithic gate, its edges weathered by untold ages. Peering through the gate, very little could be seen as the light of day soon faltered, giving way to utter blackness. Natasha took a look around the front of the entrance, reporting there appeared to be some prints of animals. The group drew their weapons and prepared themselves for battle. Binding light with an ancient song of hope in the face of darkness, Aiyda's caused the tip of her spear to glimmer and shine brightly.

Scorch and Doctor Voo went first, followed by Natasha and Aiyda. Sergi, Max, Cypress and Root followed close behind, their shadows dancing wildly in the enchanted light of Aiyda's spear. The group passed beneath the gate and entered into a long stone hallway, its sides carved with a perplexing array of shapes and geometric designs. Many of them had been damaged by the hands of time and vandals, but enough remained to give everyone a strange, uneasy feeling. Aiyda whispered, "When we were children, this is about as far as we would go." Natasha nodded and added, "Well, most of us." Sergi, who had been examining the shapes in the wall closely, whipped around, his voice rising in defense, "I had a gastrologic emergency!" Aiyda and Natasha chuckled at the expected reaction, as Sergi continued, "Well, if you are done having your sport with me, I believe I have found something of interest!"

Leaning close to the wall, he gestured for the others to do the same. "I noticed a slight breeze here and if you listen very carefully, you can hear voices!" He furrowed his brow, "Well, at least they sound like voices. I am unable to determine if they are saying anything." Everyone held still for a moment and soon enough a quiet whispering sound could be heard, coming from all directions in the hall. Sergi inspected the wall once more but was unable to divine anything from the odd glyphs.

The group continued on and shortly reached a crossroads in the path. The whispering of the halls continued faintly in the background as the group decided to inspect the left passage first. Scorch crept forward down a short passage, finding a weird broken sculpture. He called back to Sergi, "Hey fancy pants, this looks up your alley." Sergi walked by the gladiator and harrumphed, "I have a name you know!" The sorcerer examined the thing, which was a large stone sculpture of a long oblong ring covered in runes. One side of ring was clearly broken off, leaving the remains looking somewhat like a horn. Sergi called Aiyda up as well, as she was a knowledgeable sort, but neither was able to determine what it was.

Finding nothing else of interest, the group returned to the crossroads and took the right passage. This hallway was short as the left passage and was strewn with rubble. In one corner, the group found the skeletal remains of a small humanoid, as well as a dry rotted backpack and bedroll. Doctor Voo quickly determined the skeletal remains were of a child, although he was not sure of the race. Sergi, Aiyda, and Natasha all looked at each other with an expression of dawning comprehension. Natasha was the first one to speak, "When we were younger, we all heard rumors of a little girl going into the cairn on a dare but never returning. I thought it was just an old wives tale." The other two nodded in agreement as Doctor Voo reverently gathered the bones for later burial. Scorch retrieved the backpack and slipped it on, despite its sad shape, for he had come so unprepared he did not even have a pack.

Returning to the main hallway, the group continued along straight and found themselves in a large chamber. On either side were two large alcoves, their contents lost in shadows, and against the far wall, the passage continued deeper into the hills. Faintly, a green shimmering could be seen down this passage. Cypress was pointing out this eldritch light, when suddenly a deep growling sound reverberated in the chamber. Several wolves venturing forth from each of the side alcoves, their heckles up and fangs bared. With a sharp bark, the animals loped forward, their sharp teeth snapping at the invaders.

Reacting quickly, Scorch and Natasha took the wolves coming from the left. With sword and sickle, the two cut into the advancing wolves, hacking down three before they could flank the larger group. Meanwhile, on the right, Doctor Voo swung his heavy flail, sending one wolf reeling while his half-sister stabbed with her spear. Cypress and Root struggled against another of the animals, Root and one of the wolves locked in a deadly combat. Max shot several arrows at a beast lurking in the back and Sergi blasted the wolves with fans of arcane fire and globs of sizzling acid. Almost as quick as it began, the battle was over. The cold floor of the cairn was now slick with spilt blood, but most of it was that of the beasts and no one in the group was seriously hurt.

While Doctor Voo and Cypress mended the few wounds of the group, Sergi decided to take a look in the right alcove. Moving carefully into this chamber, he found it choked with rubble. Peering into the shadows, he could make out that there was another small area behind the piles of tumbled stone. Seeing no one was watching him, he scrambled over the debris of the ancient cave-in and skittered down the far side. For a moment, the sorcerer was out of sight. Natasha, however, had seen him disappear and confidently strode up the pile of stone. Sergi jumped as his sister inquired about what he was doing. Stumbling in the loose stone, he gestured to the ground, "I have found the lair of the beasts! Before you startled me, I was simply examining it to see if there was any treasure. But alas, all I have found is this empty satchel." Natasha's eyes narrowed in suspicion, "Empty, huh? You had better not be lying to me." Sergi looked hurt, "Of course not!" He turned the pack upside down and nothing fell out, "See? Empty as Scorch's skull!" Natasha gave an noncommittal uh-huh and helped the sorcerer back over the ruins.

The two Smenks returned and the group explored the left alcove. The bright light of Aiyda's spell revealed a large chamber dominated by a massive fresco. The painting took up the back and sides of the alcove. Seven long halls were illustrated, each seeming to radiate out from the center of the area. In addition, each of these halls was adorned with a painted lantern on a slender chain. The seven lanterns were each a different color: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

Sergi and Aiyda examined the painting, which seemed mostly untouched by ages of neglect. The songstress appeared to be deep in thought and then snapped her fingers. "I got it! The glyphs on that broken sculpture we saw earlier, the use of the seven colors of the rainbow, all point to the Wind Dukes!" Seeing that most of the group had no idea what she was talking about, Aiyda pontificated, "In the previous epoch, an elder race of lawful beings known as the Wind Dukes fought Miska the Wolf Spider..." Sergi interrupted, "At the Battle of Pesh in the great war of Law and Chaos. I have heard stories of that age." Aiyda continued, "Did you know the battle was actually settled quite close to Diamond Lake?" Sergi nodded, the two continuing to discuss the topic for some time. Scorch grew increasingly disinterested and returned to Natasha, who was standing near the central passage. He glanced down the long hallway were the mysterious green light flickered and hooked his thumb in the air, indicating the two people deep in learned debate. He said loudly to Natasha, "It's a freaking nerd-off down there. I hope nothing comes up, like, I don't know ... that weird green light down the hall and eats us while we settle this very important matter."

With both Sergi and Aiyda giving him dirty looks, the group reassembled and continued down the main passage toward the mysterious emerald light. Moving forward, they soon found a set of stairs which ascended to a huge chamber. This chamber split off into seven short passages, five of which had dusty lanterns of colored glass hanging low. The lantern directly across from the passage the group entered was still lit, a light glowing dimly through the green glass. In the center of the room was a large white marble sarcophagus, its cover carved with a regal looking androgynous figure. The group crept into the silent room and began to spread out.

Aiyda and Sergi took one look at the sarcophagus and then to each other, saying simultaneously, "Wind Duke." Scorch examined the green lantern, finding a torch was inside. Gently taking it out, he discovered that the flame gave off no heat. Doctor Voo explained to the gladiator that the torch had been enchanted with a spell of eternal flame. Max ranged around the room, finding several strange circular depressions under the yellow, green, and indigo lanterns. Natasha and Cypress found a shattered skeleton beneath the blue lantern and noted something else unusual. Unlike the other short tunnels with lanterns, the ceiling here vaulted forty feet up. The druid looked up and reported that in the shadows, he could see another tunnel.

After spending sometime examining the room, the group decided to try and open the sarcophagus in the center first. Fearing deadly traps, Max examined it for any signs of sabotage. Seeing none, he gestured for Scorch and Doctor Voo. The priest produced a shovel, which he habitually carried as part of his faith, and he and Scorch began to jimmy the sarcophagus open. The heavy lid began to rise when a gout of flame suddenly shot out, catching both men. With a resounding thud, the lid slammed back into place as the two men danced back, patting out small fires. Scorch wheeled angrily to Max, "I thought you said it was okay!" Max looked at the sarcophagus once more, "I said the outside appeared devoid of hazards. How am I to know what lurks within?" Red flared in Scorch's vision and he stalked toward the halfling, his good hand grasping for his manager. Without fear, Max calmly noted, "But now I see something of interest. I notice that there are circular marks on the ground near the sarcophagus. Perhaps it could be turned?" Scorch stopped to look at the floor. His rage already diminishing, he turned back to the priest, "I see it. Doctor Voo, ready to give this thing a turn?" Doctor Voo nodded, "Yah mon, but let me soothe those burns first." After a few moments, the Green Lady's blessings were called down and the duo was healed.

Grunting and cursing, Scorch and Doctor Voo rotated the heavy sarcophagus clockwise. As the sarcophagus pointed to the yellow lantern, the rumble of ancient machinery deep beneath the earth could be heard. Slowly a circular area below the yellow lantern shuttered upward, revealing a gleaming steel tube. Without a sound, a split appeared in the tube and widened, forming a doorway. Max gave this a quick look, but the group decided to keep moving the sarcophagus.

As the sarcophagus pointed to the green lantern, another steel tube slowly rose. The tube clattered to a stop and a door split open silently. From the shadows of the tube, a swarm of beetles vomited into the main chamber. In addition, picking their way through the trundling horde, were two strange creatures. Vaguely spider-like in shape and larger than a wolf, their central body was dominated by a huge alien eye. The single eye of each gazed at the group with malign intelligence. Sensing prey, the abominations gave a weird tittering cry and charged forward, their hard claws clacking loudly on the stone floor.

The group hastily grabbed their weapons and prepared for battle. Root ran in front of the group and was quickly overtaken by the beetle swarm. Giving a final heart wrenching cry, the wolf went down and was lost in a sea of beetles. Natasha, Scorch, and Doctor Voo hacked into the large spider creatures while Max and Sergi threw vials of oil at the swarm and lit them with torches. Aiyda sang a song of hope, lifting her companions' spirits, and then helped burn the swarm with flaming oil. Cypress launched arrow after arrow into the spider creatures. The beetle swarm, having been stalled by Root's assault, never reached the main group and was soon dispersed by fire. The alien spider-things fought wildly, lashing out with their many legs. Scorch was stabbed several times, eventually falling to one knee and collapsing. Doctor Voo was also wounded severely and fell to the cold stone floor. Natasha and Sergi, using the last of his magics to blast the monsters with sparking bolts of electricity, finished off the two monstrosities.

With many of the group hurt after the vicious battle, the group retreated to the mine office.

Last edited:

Spatterlight

First Post
Session 3
July 7, 2006

The pain crept in under the comforting blackness, bringing unwelcome news of suffering and woe. Scorch awoke to find himself in the ruins of the mine office, Doctor Voo adjusting the makeshift bandages that bound his many wounds. He sat up with a groan, the cleric of Wee Jas helping him. He looked at Doctor Voo for a moment, saying nothing.

The priest’s mouth broke into a wide grin, "Nah, mon. The Green Lady not be reaping any souls this day." Scorch exhaled, relieved. The priest then continued, "But the bugs did be the taking the wolf. Nasty sight." The priest called out to his goddess and mended Scorch's wounds, knitting them cleanly. Feeling better, Scorch got to his feet and stretched for a moment before leaving to see what the others were up to.

Two days passed as the group recovered and they made some improvements to the former mine office, including jury-rigging the well for fresh water. Natasha hunted for the group during this time and Cypress was gone as well, returning to the woods in mourning for his lost wolf and to complete his mission of returning news of the dead man the group had found.

On the third morning, the enigmatic elf returned with a new wolf companion. Scorch was practicing sword-play in the weedy front yard when he caught sight of the druid and his companion. The gladiator yelled to the druid, "Got a new wolf, huh. Is his name Root Two?" Max, who has been sitting on the porch combing his hair, quipped, "Square Root, then." Scorch glanced at his manager inquisitively, obviously not getting the joke. Cypress, however, seemed to like the name and so the wolf was named Square Root.

The group, now whole once more, set off for the Whispering Cairn. Quickly recounting their steps, and finding the place undisturbed, the group made its way to the large room with the sarcophagus. The group set about figuring what their next move was. Sergi used his magic to scan the room for signs of enchantment and found little. Doctor Voo and Scorch tried to pry open the sarcophagus once again, with a repeat gout of flames dissuading them from further attempts.

At Max's direction, Scorch checked out the two metallic tubes the group had previously raised, which were under the yellow and green lanterns, but saw nothing. From the center of the room, Max scowled at the gladiator as he checked out the tube beneath the green lantern, noting that Scorch was not actually entering the tube. The halfling called out, "Get in there, man! How can you see anything from out here?" Scorch shot him a look, "I'm using the Max Sheckles' method of trap detection. I only look for danger on the outside." Max made a distracted shooing gesture toward the tube in response. Scorch grumbled a bit about getting a new manager, but did as he was told.

Scorch stood within the strange cylinder and the door suddenly slid shut. With that, the tube began to groan and shake. Scorch had the distinct feeling the tube was descending. Rapidly. "This will end badly", he thought and prepared for impact. With a mighty crash, the tube hit the bottom of the shaft, cracking open and sending the dazed gladiator to the floor. Getting to his feet and finding no more than his ego bruised, he took a look around. Thankfully, he had taken the eternal torch from the chamber above as the area was otherwise dark. He found himself in a small chamber that lead out into a hallway. Scorch was going to step out a little further, when he heard the skittering of many bugs and decided to stay put. He had his fill of those damnable swarms that infested this place.

Calling out to the group above, including a few choice words to Max, the group eventually threw down some rope and began to descend. All but Square Root, who was now guarding the main chamber above, climbed safety down the shaft. The group then moved forward a bit, finding a crossway in the hall. Scorch picked right and since no one had any better ideas, they went that way.

As the group went forward, the flickering light soon revealed a strange room. This chamber was dominated by a quivering hive of beetles and a weird fountain that oozed viscous orange goo. Scorch groaned as he saw the beetles were the same as the swarm he fought before. Soon enough, the hive spat out a swarm of beetles. In addition, several more of the odd spider creatures crept out from their hiding spaces, surging toward the group.

Better prepared than before, the group broke out flasks of oil found at the mining office and launched them at the incoming swarm. Sergi held out his hand, a glimmer of fire swimming between thumb and index finger, and blasted them with repeated gouts of flame. This ignited the oil as well, but because of the tight quarters, Scorch was also caught in the fans of flame. Sergi tried not to look like he was enjoying it too much, but it was clear he very much was. The swarm surged forward, but was soon burnt to a crisp. Natasha, Doctor Voo, and Scorch fought the spider creatures, easily dispatching them once the threat of the swarm was dissipated.

The room now thick with smoke and filled with the choking odor of smoldering chitin, Doctor Voo and Cypress healed the many wounds of the group. Aiyda and Max had a look around, finding several man-sized lumps crusted over beneath some dried goop. They dug them out, finding several skeletons dressed in red leather and bearing an eight-pointed sigil. Aiyda noted the sigil belonged to a group known as the Seekers, a group of corrupt historians and adventurers. After finding a few interesting trinkets, such as rings and vials on the remains, and seeing nothing else of interest, the group began to move out.

Watching most of group shuffle out of the fountain room, Scorch looked back in time to see Sergi scoop some of the ooze out of the fountain and gulp it down. Scorch stared at Sergi in disbelief, "I have done some stupid things in my life, but man...". Sergi smiled at the gladiator, "It is quite tasty, actually!" He then gripped his stomach as it threatened to rebel, "You want to ... try ... some?" Scorch shook his head, "I may be new to this adventuring gig, but when I see an evil-looking, bug-infested goo oozing from a weird fountain in the middle of a tomb, my first instinct is not: put in mouth. Idiot."

Moving out, Sergi holding his stomach and Natasha berating him for his foolishness, the group decided to find out where the left hallway lead to. The hall terminated in another room, this one dominated by a strange red statue holding what looked like a large staff. There were also several stone slabs, one of which held the skeletal remains of a humanoid garbed in red leather armor. Seeing no immediate threat, Scorch and Natasha entered the room. Almost immediately they were ambushed by two of the strange spidery creatures. Springing into action, the two monstrosities were quickly dispatched by the group. However, as soon as the rush of battle had worn off, Scorch and Natasha found themselves inexplicably fatigued by the encounter. Fearing the room bore some foul curse, they left. Doctor Voo and Aiyda entered to retrieve the remains on the slab, only to find themselves exhausted by the trivial task. Retreating back to the crossway, the group briefly explored the only direction left, finding it ended with a room filled with water.

Seeing no other way to go, the group climbed back to the main chamber with the sarcophagus. As the group took a breather, Max took a look around. He gingerly stepped into the cylinder that stood under the yellow lantern. With a whirl and a click, the door closed and cylinder descended into the earth. After a bit, the door opened and the intrepid halfling was alone in a small chamber. Taking a quick look around and seeing no way to return to the surface, he extinguished his torch and hid in the darkness while he waited for help.

The tube beneath the yellow lantern proved to be a stubborn device. After much trial and error, the group eventually figured out to operate the tube so it would easily transport people up and down. Initially, the tube would not return completely to the surface and the sarcophagus had to be turned many times. After some time, an unseen button in the lower reaches near Max was found and the system was puzzled out. After this debacle, Scorch leaned against the sarcophagus, trying to catch his breath after moving the heavy thing. He hooked a thumb into the air, "So this sucks and I am going home." And with that, he stumbled his way back to the miner's office, followed by the others.

The next morning the group set out once more for the Whispering Cairn. Having divined the mechanisms of the cylinder beneath the yellow lantern, the group set out to explore the ruins beneath. The group assembled in the small room that the cylinder terminated in and moved forward, finding only one hallway out. However, their explorations were quickly cut short as a huge stone block hindered their passage. Putting their backs into it, Scorch, Natasha, Doctor Voo, and Max moved the heavy stone block out of the way. As soon as they did, a mysterious green gas filled the chamber, causing the group to sputter and cough. However, except for a few runny eyes, no one seemed to be seriously effected by the vapors. Deciding the gas must have lost its potency to the ages, the group pushed on and found a strange hallway in front of them.

Looking down the hallway, the group saw six alcoves, each holding a regal looking Wind Duke statue. Scorch looked down the hallway, calling for Max to take a look ahead. The halfling ranged forward, his eyes scanning the shadows and floor, seeking skulking monstrosities and deadly traps. He was looking at one of the statues, when a blur of motion out of the corner his eye caught his attention. Whirling around, he was confronted by a strange monstrosity. The creature appeared to be two huge bloodshot eyes connected by a ropy stand of sinew and nerves. It floated through the air and caught the halfling by surprise. Before Max could act, the monstrosity had wrapped its stands around his neck and began to strangle him. With a shout, the group ran forward to help Max, only to find the abomination had one more weapon at its disposal. Beams of fear shot from the grotesque eyes, catching Scorch and several others. However, the sight of amicable halfling's face turning a terrible purple dispelled any urge to run. The group quickly cut down the abomination and revived Max, who after the careful administrations of Doctor Voo and Cypress, was shaken but otherwise well.

Continuing on down the corridor, the group reached a large room, dominated in the center by a huge stone block. To the left and right, there were openings in the wall, but the rooms beyond were hidden in shadows. In addition, on the right side was another strange oozing fountain, as well as an infestation of a vile looking mold. Since no one was sure what kind of mold it was, the group avoided it and investigated the left chamber. Inside, they found what looked like the personal chambers of an important person. A bas-relief of a mighty Wind Duke dominated the wall and a stone slab formed a bed of sorts. In addition, several drawers made of stone were strewn about, looted in ages long past.

Last edited:

Spatterlight

First Post
Session 4
July 14, 2006

"Anyone else hear that?"

Natasha turned away from the bas-relief of the mighty Wind Duke, tilting her head slightly as she listened intently. With concerned looks flashing between the group, they back-peddled into the main chamber, quietly drawing weapons and preparing words of killing magic. The silence of the cairn was broken by a thick, rhythmic, suck-slosh sound that echoed weirdly in the vaulted chamber. From the shadowy edge of light, a trundling horde of creatures emerged from the main hall. A miserable swarm of fat things, their flesh a putrid pink and studded with cancerous growths, oozed and wheezed down the passage. Malformed claws grasped at the stone wall and floor, pulling the monsters toward the group in a revolting wave. Flapping over the horde of the damned, a tittering imp with a cruel face and wickedly barbed tail sprung into view. The devil pointed a spindly finger at Scorch, saying in a giggling voice, "Run fool! Run to the mold!"

Scorch's brain seized on the command and he turned to run into the center of the mold on the far side of the room. Rounding the great block of stone in the center of the room, the gladiator distantly noted that it seemed to be getting colder. He charged directly into the center of the mold, his breath coming in great plumes of vapor in the frigid air, and could feel the strange brown fungus steeling his warmth and vigor. Realizing the danger he was now in, the glamour that the imp had beguiled him with broke. Turning toward the devil, he staggered toward it to wreak his revenge. But his limbs, now wooden with the deadly chill, failed him and he collapsed shivering to the floor.

Meanwhile, the horde of gibbering pink things swept into the room, claws wildly raking the air in search for mortal flesh. With sickle and hammer, Natasha strode forward and confronted the wave head-on. She slashed and bludgeoned the mindless things, but soon found their spongy hides resilient to all but the fiercest of blows. Aiyda sang a song of hope to buoy the spirits of the group as Cypress commanded Square Root into battle and launched an arrow at the imp. Sergi summoned a quivering blob of acid in his hand and hurled it at the horde, but it ran off the monstrosities like water. For a moment, the sorcerer thought his magic had failed him, but as the acid ran down the abominations to the stone floor, a sizzling hiss could be heard.

Doctor Voo and Max made their way around the great block of stone in the center of the room to assist the fallen gladiator. Doctor Voo and Max crept along the side of the stone block, making sure to stay clear of the chilling mold. With an urgent prayer to the Green Lady, the priest revived Scorch, who jerkily rose to his feet with the help of the cleric. For a moment, the world whirled as he tried to gain his bearings. He saw Doctor Voo and Max surge forward to confront several of the monstrosities.

He saw the monsters. He heard Natasha and Sergi cursing from the other side of the chamber, clearly having a hard time putting the things down. And then he heard his father and the room was no longer there, replaced by the blinding light of the summer sun beating down on the bloodstained field of the coliseum. His father passed the ways of the gladiator to his son, "Now, you are going to fight a lot of strange things here and some of them are going to turn your blade with ease. But, they all have a weakness. For instance, if you got something that looks like you want to sleep with it or it looks demonic, or if it's both, use cold iron first. If that doesn't work, go with silver." Max's panicked scream for Scorch to kill something brought him out his fugue, his good hand already reaching for his cold iron morningstar.

One of the last things the gladiator had not hocked for booze or whores over the long years of decline, the cold iron morningstar smashed into the first of the pink things. However, the creature merely deformed slightly then sprung back, the force of the blow dispersed. With a curse, Scorch dropped the morningstar and drew another vestige of his former career: a silvered short sword. Stabbing furiously at the creature with the glittering blade, he easily pierced the creature's defense and two of the slavering things were slain in short order. Max and Doctor Voo picked off another of the monsters, while Natasha and Square Root slowly but steadily felled several of the things through sheer brute force.

Meanwhile, the impish leader of the horde chose to bedevil Cypress, Aiyda, and Sergi who were behind Natasha and Square Root. Cruelly teasing Aiyda in Draconic, the impish flittered about and stung several times with its barbed tail. Each poisonous jab brought a numbing of the limbs and the songstress was stung numerous times. By the time Scorch and the others finished the last of the pink things, Aiyda was almost unable to stand. Seeing its horde slaughtered, the imp gave one last giggle and vanished. Poisoned, almost dead from exposure, and all wounded, the group once again retreated to the mine office.

Once back at the mine office, the group had a long conversation about what to do next and how they could avoid having to retreat so many times. Eventually it was decided that two members of the group would return to Diamond Lake and purchase some supplies, such as healing potions and scrolls, with the coin unearthed from the basement of the office. Assisted by his half-sister, Doctor Voo also wrote a note to the other clerics of Wee Jas in town to ask for assistance in divining the powers of a magic ring that had been found. As they were not really needed at the office and neither of them were locals, Max and Scorch were chosen to return to town.

The duo set out and by noon the second day had arrived in Diamond Lake. Max and Scorch crested a small hill, looking down on to the small town. The gladiator gazed across the town saying, "So we are going to the bar first, right?" Without skipping a beat, the halfling responded, "Absolutely." Ambling down the hill, the two men made their way to the Emporium and drank the rest of the afternoon away.

After night had fallen, Max and Scorch emerged from the bar. They made their way to the nearby graveyard, figuring this was the best place to meet up with the followers of the Green Lady. Before Max could stop him, the gladiator boldly pushed open the decrepit iron gate to the cemetery and shouted, "HEY, WEE JAS PEOPLE! I HAVE A NOTE FROM YOUR FRIEND DOCTOR VOO!" Scorch gave a thumbs up to his manager, who shook his head in disbelief. For a moment, there was no response. Then a thin figure with long black robes crept out from the shadows of an ancient mausoleum.

The silvery light of the moon revealed a pale young woman with eyes as dark as midnight. The woman hissed, "What does he want?" The gladiator gave the note to the priestess, who unfolded it with long spidery fingers. Reading it quickly, the woman furrowed her brow and looked to the duo, "Have you read this?" Scorch and Max shook their heads, the gladiator adding, "Of course not, it was for you people." She handed it back and Scorch and Max quickly read it, seeing it was filled with wild demands for strange items and services, in addition to the request for aid with the divination of the ring. The woman darkly glared at the two men, "For the services Voo wants, we request a hundred gold coins." Scorch and Max looked at each other in surprise as they were not planning on spending any gold for this, with the gladiator exclaiming, "I thought you were all on the same team here! Ah, screw this!" Without a look back, Scorch turned and stomped back to town with his manager close behind.

Making their way down the moonlit roads to town, the two decided to go to the house of Allustan Neff, a wizard who was rumored to be the smartest man in town, to see if he could identify the properties of the magic ring. Despite the advanced hour, Scorch pounded on the wizard's door until the shutters on the upstairs window flew open. From the window, a ruffled older man peered down into the darkness, telling the duo to return tomorrow during more reasonable hours. Having accomplished nothing of note on the first day in town, Max and Scorch spent the night at a local inn.

The next day, the two returned to the home of Allustan. This time they were welcomed in and the wizard asked how he could help. Max produced the magic ring, explaining that they had recovered it from the Whispering Cairns and needed to know what it did. The wizards seemed quite interested in the Whispering Cairn and asked several questions about it. After this, he explained that he could cast the spell required, but it would cost quite a bit of gold. Not wanting to deal with the Wee Jas people, Scorch agreed to have the spell cast, but said they could not pay for it immediately. The wizard smiled and explained that this was not a problem at all, if the gladiator was willing to sign a writ that he would perform an unspecified task of equal value for the wizard in the future. Not seeing another option, he signed the papers and the properties of the ring were divined. After an hour of intense study, Allustan revealed that the wearer of the ring would float like a feather if he ever were dropped from a great height.

Max thanked the wizard for his help, but before they left, Scorch gestured to several bookcases overflowing with a bewildering assortment of tomes and scrolls, "Allustan, you got anything in there about adventurers that I can borrow?" The wizard arched an eyebrow and said haughtily, "I am surprised you can read." The gladiator glanced at the stacks then back to the mage, "Yeah, I minored in it at Kick Wizard Ass University. Want to guess my major?" The wizard appeared unfazed by Scorch's bravado and pulled three volumes from the shelf, "I believe these three will be of some assistance." Scorch took a look at the titles briefly before shoving them in his pack:

• The Adventures of Enesto Voritad: An Epic Struggle against the Dread Dragon Kelperath. By Enesto Voritad.
  • One Thousand and One Ways to Die: A Compendium of Hazards, Traps, Poisons, and Various Other Unpleasantries Commonly Encountered by the Adventurer. Fourth Edition. By Kassandra Pennington
  • Sufog and Tanlag: Adventurer Do's and Don'ts. Twelfth Edition. By Tam Annick.
The duo then set out from the wizard's home to secure some healing potions and scrolls. After asking around, they were told that the best place to find these items would be the Church of Saint Cuthbert. When the two arrived, services were being held. Having dealt with Scorch's impatience before, Max wisely suggested that the gladiator go have a drink at the nearby Feral Dog while the halfling dealt with this. Seeing no problem with this plan, the gladiator took his leave.

Max waited quietly outside the church until the mass was over. Once the congregation had left the church hall, the halfling approached an acolyte to ask about the availability of healing magic. The acolyte explained that while potions and scrolls were available, he had to be sure that they would be put to uses appropriate to the doctrines of St. Cuthbert. Max answered several questions about his activities and also signed a contact that he and several others would attend a service at the church in the near future. With everything in order, the halfling purchased the healing supplies and headed for the Feral Dog to pick up Scorch. Finding him at his old table, Max smiled as he approached, "Let us away! I have secured all of the healing supplies. Oh, and you have to go to church in a couple of days." Scorch made a sour face at the news and finished his beer.

Max and Scorch completed their errands with a quick stop at the general store, buying some rope, rations, a new bedroll and backpack for Scorch, and a heavy iron cauldron that Doctor Voo had requested. Their job done, the duo walked back to the mine office and rejoined the rest of the group. Having rested for several days, the group was healed of all their wounds and the last lingering stiffness induced by the imp's poison had also passed. Supplies were distributed and Max informed the group of the mystical properties of the ring. After a heated argument between Scorch and Natasha over who should bear the ring, the gladiator eventually gave up and Natasha claimed the enchanted ring.

Now complete once more, the group set out for the Whispering Cairn. Retracing their steps from several days before, the group returned to the large chamber beneath the yellow lantern. Having found the left room to be the ransacked remains of a private chamber, they decided to have a look around the larger room. In their haste, they had not seen a door in the far wall of the large chamber and decided to open this first. With blade and spell at the ready, Scorch kicked open the door, only to find that it was a latrine. Seeing no danger here, Scorch and Doctor Voo decided to clear away the mold to allow for exploration of the last room. Lashing Doctor Voo's staff to his shovel, the gladiator and priest slowly scooped up the freezing mold and deposited in the latrine. The process was time consuming, but except for an occasional shiver, was uneventful.

The dangerous mold now cleared, the group examined the last room. The flickering lights of the group revealed a sculptor's workroom filled with tools of the trade, as well as several sculptures in various states of completion. In addition, several large black egg-shaped sculptures could be seen. Sergi, an artist himself, gave a gleeful shout and sprung into the room. As he did, the black ovoid sculptures changed shape, transforming into crudely man-shaped things. The creatures ground forward, flailing with stone fists, to assault the group. The battle was brief but intense, with the group reducing the things to rubble in short order.

Last edited:

Spatterlight

First Post
Session 5
July 30, 2006

The rocky monsters dispatched with ease, the group set about to give the sculptor's room a thorough search. Among the dusty tools and half-completed sculptures, several things of note were found. Max pointed out a heavy square of strange red metal, whose purpose was not immediately clear, was likely valuable and should be taken. In addition, one of the sculptures had a fine wooden quarterstaff that Cypress took. Finding nothing else of interest, Natasha and Scorch carried the chunk of metal back to the tube, while the rest of the group gave the large chamber a final look over.

Max carefully investigated the large stone that dominated the central chamber. After several minutes of diligent search, the halfling found a hidden lever. He raised it and with the great rumbling sound of unseen machinery, the stone retracted with glacial slowness into the ceiling. Peering beneath the rising stone, the shattered remains of an unfortunate treasure hunter could be seen. Doctor Voo carefully scooped the remains out and Max sorted thought them. Several tiny sculptures had miraculously survived the ancient trap, although the fragments of several less fortunate relics were also found. Lastly, a pair of goggles was recovered. A quick cantrip by Sergi determined that the eyepiece was magical and Max immediately put them on. His eyes suddenly loomed comically large behind the thick, dirty lens. Staring intently at a button on the cuff of his sleeve, the halfling reported that the goggles had improved his eyesight dramatically, but only for close up work.

The halfling was rubbing his eyes, the goggles now dangling loosely about his neck, when the gladiator and ranger returned. Scorch hitched his thumb into the air, "Looks like something weird happened upstairs. Something washed the tomb floor." Natasha rolled her eyes, "We went upstairs with that block of metal. It looks like something crawled out of the shaft beneath the green lantern and was very wet. We didn't stick around to see what it was and I couldn't tell anything by the tracks." The members of the group looked at each other for a moment before Aiyda said, "Looks like the flooded room had something in it after all." Taking one last look at the central room, the group prepared for battle. Two by two, the group used the tube beneath the yellow lantern to return to the main chamber.

Expecting a fight, the group cautiously advanced into the center of the chamber of seven lanterns. Natasha once more investigated the dripping trail, which clearly lead from the shaft beneath the green lantern down the hallway that lead out of the cairn, but was unable to determine what had dragged itself from the deeper recesses of the tomb. The ranger looked up from the puddles just in time to see the dead men pouring into the main chamber, their grim claws dripping with putrid water and long tongues lolling wildly. Giving a warning shout, the rest of the group turned to face these horrors. The gaunt hunched things launched into a frenzied attack with filthy claws and fangs, ravenous for living flesh after being denied for untold ages.

The group met the undead in brutal melee. One of the things was cut down quickly, but the group soon learned that even the slightest scratch brought by claw or fang brought the threat of paralysis. The muscles of both Scorch and Square Root locked up in revulsion, but the others fought on. Fearing all would be brought low by the ghouls, Doctor Voo produced his holy symbol in one hand and held out his skull-tipped staff in the other, calling upon the name of Wee Jas. As the Green Lady's name echoed in the chamber, the creatures gave a thick garbled moan and fled in terror, their arms covering their dead eyes. The undead vanished into the shadows, running down the hallway toward the entrance of the cairn. The cleric turned to the others saying, "They will not be going far. We best be setting them on their way to hell soon."

The brief respite proved enough, for before the dead could regain their senses, feeling returned to the limbs of the afflicted. Unwilling to let the creatures get too far, or worse escape the tomb into the wilds, the group followed the glistening tracks of the ghouls. The wait was short, for when the group reentered the large chamber where they had once fought wolves, the undead launched themselves from the shadows. Attacking from both sides, the creatures attempted to bring down the cleric of Wee Jas. After a brief melee, they were successful, causing the deathly chill of the grave to seize him. The brutal battle continued, with several members of the group eventually paralyzed, but one by one the ghouls fell. Most were cut down with Scorch's blade or Sergi's spells, but the last one, which was menacing Doctor Voo, was felled with a vicious stab delivered by his half-sister.

The danger of the undead put down for good, the group healed their wounds and waited for numbed limbs to regain sensation. After a quick discussion, the group decided to return to the chamber of seven lanterns. Scorch and Natasha turned the heavy sarcophagus once more, causing the last of the metal tubes to rise from the ground beneath the violet lantern. Max slipped on his enchanted goggles and carefully looked at the tube and found the device was not what it appeared. After a few moments of silent examination, the halfling revealed that this tube was a trap designed to crush and grind those who entered it. He noted several shards of bones and torn shreds of cloth and leather; all that remained of the tomb robbers who had come before. Doctor Voo once more reverently collected the bones with his shovel and it was Max who spied several glittering baubles among the remains. Collecting their loot, the group decided to explore the strange shaft that ran above the blue lantern.

Here, unlike all the other tunnels with lanterns, the ceiling vaulted forty feet up and another tunnel could be faintly seen at the top. Natasha looped some rope around her and prepared for the climb. Rising slowly but steadily, the ranger made her way up the ancient stone wall. Soon, she pulled herself up onto a small ledge and secured the rope for the others. As they climbed, she peered down the tunnel, which appeared to extend for quite some as she was unable to see the end. Cypress, with Square Root held close to his chest, was hauled up last. Once more reassembled, the group made their way down the tunnel with Scorch and Doctor Voo in lead.

Moving down the hall, the group soon saw the tunnel terminated in a huge stone face. Easily as big as a man, the face had a stately, serene expression and its great eyes were closed. In addition, on the floor and walls, many gouges and scrapes could be seen, as if something had been dragged down the hallway toward the main chamber. Having witnessed the trickeries of the long vanished Wind Dukes, Natasha and Scorch made a makeshift safety net at the end of the hallway out of her tent. Once this was complete, Max secured the ring of feather falling from the ranger and headed toward the great face, each step cautious and measured. With bated breath, the group watched the halfling creep forward.

Nothing of note happened until Max began to examine the face. At the halfling's touch, the eyes of the face suddenly snapped open and shown brilliantly, filling the tunnel with a dazzling radiance. In addition, the mouth, once calm and neutral, opened wide and a tremendous gale began to blow out. At first, the wind was moderate but soon it began to howl with ever greater force. Max was the first to be tossed back, as he was smallest, and was soon ejected from the tunnel. The magic of the ring activated as he fell and he floated safely to the ground. Doctor Voo began to climb back down the rope, his sister following him. In Aiyda's haste, she missed a knot in the heavy rope and crashed to the floor, losing consciousness. Meanwhile, Scorch and several others in the group were befuddled by the strange light and could not fight against the wind. The gladiator, his spiked armor throwing sparks as it gouged the stone, was drug down the tunnel and eventually flung over the ledge. He plummeted to the floor, his manager already shouting orders to him before he reached the ground. Reacting to the commands through a haze of pain, he gradually saw Max was doing. Using the fallen Aiyda's bedroll, he spread it between them and they pulled it taught, attempting to catch the others in the group as they fell.

The plan was mostly successful and likely saved the life of the lithe Sergi, who had been knocked senseless by the lights. Natasha was the last of the group to leave the tunnel, for instead of trying to escape, she fought forward through hurricane-strength winds and mind-bending flashes of light toward the face. Using all her strength, she managed to get to the face and for a brief moment, glimpsed another room beyond the mouth of the great face. Then she too was blown away.

Catching their breath at the base of the blue lantern tunnel, the group listened to the wind howl for some time before it finally stopped. The healers in the group revived Aiyda and Sergi, but Natasha had been knocked out and for the moment, there was nothing they could do. While waiting, Scorch shook out the bard's bedroll, which was now quite tattered and bloodied, and guffawed, "Now who doesn't have a bedroll, huh?" Everyone in the group turned silently to the gladiator in disbelief, glaring at him. Scorch shuffled uncomfortably for a moment, the quietly rolled it up, muttering, "Everyone's a critic."

Battered and bruised, the group returned to the mining office to recuperate from the trying experience. The rest of the day, Doctor Voo and Cypress cared for the group; applying strange salves and making them drink pungent teas that dulled pain. As night fell, Natasha awoke, but was still in a great deal of pain. She still had enough energy, however, to berate the gladiator as he attempted to make peace with Aiyda. He tried to replace the bard's ruined bedroll with Natasha's, figuring they would not need two. However, the ranger began to yell at him for giving away what was not his. Finally, the gladiator exclaimed, "Baby, I was trying to be nice!" She held out her hand, "Whatever! Get out of here. We can share." Throwing the blanket over herself and the bard, Natasha made a final shooing gesture and the bard stuck her tongue out at the gladiator. Cypress was passing by and spied the two girls, arching an inquisitive eyebrow at Scorch. "It's not what it looks like", Scorch said as he closed the door behind him, "Unfortunately." Walking with the elf to the next room, he spread his own bedroll on the bare floor of the ruined office and soon fell into a dreamless sleep.

The night was uneventful and as the sun rose, the druid and cleric, their spells renewed with the day, healed the last of the lingering wounds. Hale once more, the group set out for the Whispering Cairn. Seeing that the only area that had not been explored was the flooded room in the chambers beneath the green lantern, the group descended to this chamber.

Moving down the hallway, it soon became apparent that in times long past, the flooded chamber had been something else, for a set of great stone stairs could be seen leading down into the murky darkness. The group lingered for a moment and Sergi stooped down at the water's edge, cupping the water in one hand and drinking it before anyone could stop him. Natasha was berating the sorcerer for his foolishness, when suddenly the still waters swelled upwards, flowing around the startled sorcerer, and pulled him down. Springing into action, Scorch, Natasha, and Max took a deep breath and leapt into the water. For a moment floundering in the unfamiliar environment, they soon found the slippery stone floor and began to move toward the panicking sorcerer. As they drew closer, they saw a pair of thin blue eyes hovering about Sergi and could see that the current was different about him. Although none of them knew it, the sorcerer was in the grips of a water elemental.

Struggling to free Sergi from its clutches proved difficult, but Natasha was able to rest him from it, only to have the elemental grab her. Meanwhile, the battle had attracted unwanted attention. From deeper in the watery chamber, several more of the ghouls emerged from a shadowy passage. The group despaired, for surely being paralyzed under the water would mean death, but Cypress and Doctor Voo had other plans. Summoning porpoises from elemental planes and celestials seas, the holy men turned the tide of battle. The battle raged for quite sometime, but the timely assistance of creatures native to the water proved invaluable. Eventually, the water elemental was dispersed and the restless dead were put down. Gasping for air, those who entered the water staggered out and fell to the stone floor, their only thought on their next breath.

Last edited:

Spatterlight

First Post
Session 6
August 4, 2006

Note: I was unable to attend this session, so this will be a short update. Special thanks to Sergi's player, who helped write this summary.

The gladiator pulled himself to his feet, water running down his armor, and wearily leaned against the wall, "So, no more fighting in water. Agreed?" Everyone nodded. After a few moments to catch their collective breath, Natasha and Scorch dove back into the murky water to retrieve several items that been lost in the battle. Looking about, the two found several other items of note. One of the ghouls, as well as the tattered remains of another corpse found in the depths, had some coins and each bore the signet ring of the Seekers. Furthermore, one of the corpses had an enchanted short sword and a ruby lantern. Bringing the red lantern into the light, the group could see it was made of a strange crimson metal and red crystal panes. It quickly became apparent that it was nearly identical to the other lanterns hanging in the chamber of seven lanterns. Although they had paid it no mind earlier, they had noted that both the red and violet lanterns were missing in the main chamber above.

Climbing back up the shaft to the chamber of seven lanterns, the group hung the ruby lantern in one of the empty slots, so that it matched the painting found earlier in the cairn. Seeing that now only one lantern was missing, the group began to discuss their options. Suddenly, Sergi gave a flourish and produced the indigo lantern, claiming that he had been keeping it safe in his possession. He had discovered it in the lair of the wolves in an earlier expedition of the Whispering Cairn. The sorcerer was berated at length, but Sergi asserted that his actions were true and heroic. Natasha venomously disagreed, calling her brother a jerk. After everyone calmed down, they hung the indigo lantern and waited patiently for something to happen. When nothing happened, Max suggested that the lanterns may need to be lit. Many a backpack and traveling bag were overturned in search for the correct number of torches and sunrods to complete the task. The lanterns now glowing and the chamber filled with a rainbow of colors, the group decided to challenge the great stone face once more.

Ascending to the tunnel high above, the group cautiously advanced down the hall, waiting to be blown back once more. However, this time, the mouth was wide open and revealed the chamber Natasha had glimpsed before. Clambering through the open mouth, the group strode into a large chamber that appeared to be half filled with grapefruit sized iron balls. A slender stone bridge spanned the length of the room to a door on the other side of the chamber. There were also were many holes in the walls and ceiling, each about the size of the iron balls. Sensing a trap, the group elected Max to go forth and investigate this strange room, with Max being the only descending vote. Grumbling about how a man of his obvious importance should not be undertaking such hazardous tasks, the halfling made his way across the bridge. When he reached the halfway point, numerous iron projectiles shot forth from the openings in the walls. With catlike reflexes, Max darted back towards the entrance of the room. However, even his quick reaction was not enough, for he was pelted by the metallic projectiles.

The group began to deliberate their next move, when Natasha became frustrated and attempted to cross the bridge. Carefully stalking across the bridge, she trigged the trap and the iron balls began to fly across the room. One of them caught her square in the stomach, sending her into the pile of iron balls. A strange creature with many tentacles squirmed out of the pile and attempted to devour her, but the thing was quickly dispatched. However, as the group battled they heard a strange voice begin to fill the room. The voice was that of a child and it provided a running commentary on the brief melee.

Rising from the floor, a ghostly spirit appeared and before the group could act, possessed Aiyda. Claiming to be of the Land family, he told the group he would open the door on the other end of the bridge if his bones were laid to rest with his family on their plot on the outskirts of Diamond Lake. Seeing no other way to proceed, the group returned to town.

Once back in town, the group traveled to the Lands farmstead. The group found a decrepit house surrounded by the remains of several fields, which were now being reclaimed by the forest. After searching around for a bit, they found the burial plot of the family. Much to their surprise, they found that the graves had been recently dug up. Unsure of how to proceed, the group decided to investigate the farmstead, only to stumble upon several bears who had taken it as their home. A brief battle broke out and several of the more knowledgeable in the group were surprised to see such aggression in the bears. Once the fight was over, the reason became apparent as a small bear cub came mewing out of a darkened room. Natasha immediately adopted the orphaned creature as her pet. Max quickly searched the house for any trinkets but found none. However, he did make a gruesome discovery: a human arm with a single tattoo. The tattoo was familiar to both Natasha and Sergi, as it was the sign of a gang of thugs that worked for their father and often hung out at the Feral Dog.

Returning to town, the group entered the Feral Dog and scanned the crowd for any faces that the Smenk siblings knew. Almost immediately, the two spotted a large half-orc named Kullen that they recognized as the leader of the gang. Aiyda was chosen to go over and talk to him. However, the half-orc had other ideas and forced the bard outside the tavern. The group followed and Doctor Voo was unable to contain himself any further. He pointed a finger at the brute and demanded that he release his sister. He also then accused the bandits of grave robbery. At these accusations, a fierce melee broke out. Sergi attempted to invoke his father's name to stop the battle, but this only seemed to enrage the half-orc. After a prolonged and bloody battle, the group was victorious. While three of the men were killed, the fourth was taken alive for questioning. Severely wounded by the vicious battle and depleted of spells, the group retreated to Jalek’s Flophouse. They spent the night at the seedy establishment, hoping to avoid drawing attention as best they could.

Remove ads