• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Agonizing blast extra damage: once or for each beam?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Basically what the title says.

If you pick this invocation, do you get the extra damage once or for each beam that you create with eldritch blast?

PnPgamer

Explorer
Yes it does. This is the reason why eldritch blast is considered to be the most potent cantrip. It gets immense damage, warlock spells spells support it's damage, you get knockbacks on it and on top of that it is rarely resisted and/or immunified.

Reasoning: The agonizing blast refers to adding charisma modifier to damage on each hit. Eldritch blast hits each time one of it's ray(s)... well, hit. This is the most common understanding around these forums as well.

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
It's also the response I got on Twitter from Jeremy Crawford, with the caveat that it was being watched.

At first I thought "Damn, that's powerful," but then again weapon-users get Strength (or Dex) on each attack, so it basically brings warlocks up to their level of consistent damage, which is good because they don't have the nova capabilities of other spellcasters.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Also the thing is, that if you specialize in it, that is pretty much the only thing you do. while it is powerful it may get dull pretty quickly.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
It's also the response I got on Twitter from Jeremy Crawford, with the caveat that it was being watched.

At first I thought "Damn, that's powerful," but then again weapon-users get Strength (or Dex) on each attack, so it basically brings warlocks up to their level of consistent damage, which is good because they don't have the nova capabilities of other spellcasters.
Thanks. My 5E DM will be seeing this. :D

Pickles JG

First Post
Also the thing is, that if you specialize in it, that is pretty much the only thing you do. while it is powerful it may get dull pretty quickly.

No more dull than a ranger with a bow.

Mind you a ranger with a bow was the most boring class I (briefly) played in 3e and 4e.

Warlock is really the magical analogue of ranger with a different set of support mechanics & hugely different flavour.

Paraxis

Explorer
What makes a ranger with a bow or warlock any more boring/dull than a fighter, paladin, rogue, or any non-full caster class?

PnPgamer

Explorer
Most of the time is that the options to do in combat boils to "i shoot target x"
To me its the same on every class you mentioned.

Joe Liker

First Post
"Specialize"? It takes one invocation, available to every pact and patron.

It's not a matter of specializing. It's just what every warlock is expected to do if they care about ranged damage.

Pickles JG

First Post
Most of the time is that the options to do in combat boils to "i shoot target x"
To me its the same on every class you mentioned.

In 4e and 3e you had no incentive to manoeuvre under most circumstance so it was less dynamic than a melee guy, especially in 4e when they coiuld have a lot of varied options.

I only mentioned two classes who I said were similar not sure what you are saying

Remove ads