• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Agricola

Simplicity

Explorer
I have this game and I love it. Strategically very intense, yet easy to understand and explain. Also it's playable in a fairly short amount of time.
I'd really like to try it with more than two players, but I've never found the opportunity.

My wife (not someone who likes boardgames) tolerates it, which is a nice plus. We've played the family game a couple of times and played the E-deck once. I've also played a couple of solo E-deck games.

As for the pieces, I went the FIMO route and built myself a nice set of farmer families and resources. I was rather surprised that they came out so well considering I'd never even touched FIMO before...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Glad to hear it!

Game time is about 30 minutes per player; our 5-player games last over two hours.

Cheers!

Shade

Monster Junkie
We played our first few games of this the other night.

A few observations (on the 3-player game):

1.) He who controls the wood, probably wins.
2.) Don't get caught up in occupations (unless you have the occupation that gives victory points for all successive occupations played).
3.) Grow those families fast!

All in all, a great game, although the components leave much to be desired. It's difficult to tell wood from clay. If you can get animeeples, by all means get them!

Simplicity

Explorer
We played our first few games of this the other night.

A few observations (on the 3-player game):

1.) He who controls the wood, probably wins.
2.) Don't get caught up in occupations (unless you have the occupation that gives victory points for all successive occupations played).
3.) Grow those families fast!

All in all, a great game, although the components leave much to be desired. It's difficult to tell wood from clay. If you can get animeeples, by all means get them!

Oh, my. I once thought as you did...

My wife and I were playing and she acquired the "Hedge Keeper" occupation. Basically, it gave her three extra fences whenever she built one. So, she took almost all of the wood in the game and had a HUGE number of animals at her disposal. I, on the other hand had a few sheep, a couple grain, and a couple of vegetables. I won the game because I managed to upgrade my house to stone using my occupations and because I got a lot of card bonus points.

Wood is not the be-all end all. But it does help...

Agamon

Adventurer
I've only played the game once, but some of my buddies at the club have played many times and own the game. They seemed a bit peeved at the outrageous price for the vegemeeples. $15 seems a bit much for some meeples. At least they pre-ordered and got the animeeples.

Cadfan

First Post
Meeples are surprisingly expensive when they're made in limited runs. Check out meeplepeople.com to get an idea of the pricing. Even in bulk, you're looking at 15 to 20 cents a meeple, and there are a lot of vegetables and grain in the game.

Agamon

Adventurer
Meeples are surprisingly expensive when they're made in limited runs. Check out meeplepeople.com to get an idea of the pricing. Even in bulk, you're looking at 15 to 20 cents a meeple, and there are a lot of vegetables and grain in the game.

Makes sense, it's just like anything else that's normally mass produced. But still, you'd have to be diehard to spend what amounts to a quarter if the game's price to make it look cooler.

Then again, I've spent enough on Rock Band DLC to buy the game twice over again, so I can't say the offer to sell tiny pumpkins and grain for the game is illogical.

Funny they went with pumpkins, I always thought of the veggies as carrots. Pumpkins look better and stand up more easily, I guess.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads