• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aiding another and secondary effects like Trip

Nareau

Explorer
Does the bonus from the aid another action apply only to a single die roll, or can it apply to secondary effects as well?

Let's say four wolves are attacking someone, and three successfully Aid Another for their alpha (who's rolling an actual attack). Does the alpha get a +6 (+2 each from 3 aiders) to attack AND the trip check? Or just the attack?

My gut says just the attack, but I could see an argument being made that it applies to the trip effect as well (as that's part of the attack).

frankthedm

First Post
My gut says just the attack, but I could see an argument being made that it applies to the trip effect as well (as that's part of the attack).
I don't really see how any argument can be made based on the rules text. It seems reasonable that they could use the "You can also use this standard action to help a friend in other ways," line to instead assist with the trip attempt. But in no way does aid another help with multiple rolls.

If you want to argue that the Aid another action does not do ENOUGH for the cost of a standard action, that is another issue.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I agree with frank, it would by RAW only apply to the attack roll (or the trip, though by RAW you'd have to ready actions to aid another after the attack lands to do that). I would be fine with applying the bonus to both rolls, though.

It's not the specific case you asked, but IMO by RAW you would get the bonus on multiple rolls in cases where the new roll explicitly uses "the same modifer" as the previous/triggering attack. For example, the critical confirmation roll, or the bull rush performed upon a successful shield bash with the Shield Slam feat. Which again, I'm perfectly fine with.

EDIT: Whoops, Shield Slam doesn't even seem to be a new roll, it just plain uses your total attack roll result.

Last edited:

Remove ads