• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Air Drakes [name change ... pt2!]

Wolf72

Explorer
whew!

okay, first off I went and made name changes for the sake of militant Pernese lawyers (I am not changing the name of my dwarf fighter, Pern, btw!). That was a minor hassle as when you try to upload a new file to replace the old one make sure it has a completely different name and that your word program isn't up (or I'm just a tard ;)).

Then I went and had a grand idea of breaking away from the Pern model. I got an idea, then an image ... anyone remember the Herculoids!? Well the dragon creature there could shoot eye beams. So I went with that idea, I kept it KISS. Basically in place of standard dragons breath weapon the drakes get to use 2 eye beams (burning rays, 3d6 each) once every 1d4 rounds. Damage and range are small, but they only require a ranged touch attack without a saving throw (see PsiHb).

changes:
Name--Air Drake
Special attack--2 Burning rays
Teleport--back to normal template rules, 3x/day

Name and text--Watch Drakes

Name--Air Lizards
Special attack-- to fingers of fire (from eyes)
Teleport-- to dimension door (now with template norms)

campaign rules/ideas
text change-- to drakes from dragons
Impressment [feat]: the requirements for taking an Air Lizard as a familiar are ... 13+ cha or Animal Empathy as a class skill, non-evil alignment, 9th lvl+, improved familiar feat (does not need to take impressment feat as well)

Wolf72

Explorer
Long ago the Air drakes and the humanoid races made first contact. From that first meeting the drakes bonded with riders. They only bonded with certain people, certain ones that met their exacting telepathic requirements.

during the centuries that passed the drake clans split and began warring with each other over limited living spaces.

To keep from total war they split into smaller and smaller clans ... now the larger ones rarely get larger than 100 drakes or so.

Even clans of good drakes fight each other for resources.

Becoming a Dragon rider requires specific training which can only be gained from the Aeries or private tutors whose job it is to search the country side for suitable candidates.

the other requirement is that the prospective riders must posess a certain telepathic or empathic quality. Some Classes develop this ability (Druids, Rangers, some experts) naturally. Others must spend time and look within themselves. Mostly though a Drake and his rider scour the country side try to locate latent individuals.

Sojourn

First Post
"Alligator Lizards In the Air...IN THE AIR!" I am happy for this, but sad that the other drake thread is closed and immune to commentary. I play Magic and frequently use those cards as player handouts so they get a picture of what they're fighting without also getting all the stats for it, but may get a hint as to its powers. There's a buncha drakes and wurms.

Wolf72

Explorer
Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman!

Sheesh, I haven't been in here since Necromancer Games was ready to compile and put out The Tomb of Horrors. (edit: which I got to participate in! it was cool to get a book with my name mentioned in it)

FYI, Sojourn I have done some minor Pathfinder Updates for my air-drakes. I've probably eased them down on any some special abilities, but not to much. They're telepathic (linked minds ability too), standard breath weapons now (cone of fire, limited amount of times/day), skill points done pathfinder style.

If you're curious as to why I stuck with smaller sizes and HD, it was simply to make the more usable at a more reasonable level (my games when I played rarely made it past 12-14th level or so).

My latest pet project (I'm stuck as a substitute teacher at the moment and get bored) is a 3-lvl PrC based around being a rider of a flying mount (doable at 5th level, more likely at 6th or 7th).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads