• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Air Elemental and Implosion

DerianCypher

First Post
Does implosion work on an air elemental? The reason I ask is b/c in the description of air elemental it is described as basically whirling air. Implosion says it doesn't work on creatures in gaseous form.

does it work?

DC

shilsen

Adventurer
Yes, it works on an air elemental. Air elementals are corporeal creatures, which is what Implosion affects. Even though an air elemental is described as whirling air, it is solid enough to be hit with a sword, grappled, etc., so the spell should work just fine.

This is one of those things where the rules say it works but my gut says it shouldn't. But heck, I've got better things to do than argue over the degree of gaseousness of an air elemental. :p

UltimaGabe

First Post
Just because air elementals are made up of air doesn't mean they're not corporeal- if they were exactly the same (or even partially the same) as a creature in gaseous form, they would have similar traits- specifically, the ability to only be hurt by +1 weapons and such. They have no such ability, and therefore are obviously different enough.

the Jester

Legend
UltimaGabe said:
Just because air elementals are made up of air doesn't mean they're not corporeal- if they were exactly the same (or even partially the same) as a creature in gaseous form, they would have similar traits- specifically, the ability to only be hurt by +1 weapons and such. They have no such ability, and therefore are obviously different enough.

One could argue that DR x/- trumps DR x/magic. :)

Not that I am necessarily doing so, but still.

Corsair

First Post
the Jester said:
One could argue that DR x/- trumps DR x/magic. :)

Not that I am necessarily doing so, but still.

Based on that argument, a huge Earth Elemental is just as incorporeal as a huge Air Elemental.

Remove ads