• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Air Elemental's Whirlwind

Wanderer20

First Post
I plan to summon air elementals against my foes, and I think their power when in whirlwind state is great.

Unfortunately, the rules are not perfectly clear (to me at least), so I ask for clarifications.

It appears that an air elemental in whirlwind state can move into the enemy's squares causing no AoOs, and once a round (balance-wise, I think) its victims whose size is one or smaller than the elemental's must make a Reflex save (DC depending from the elemental's size) or take some damage (depending from the elemental's size as well).

No matter the result of this save, the victims must make another Ref save or be picked up in the whirwind and take damage automatically each round.

A creature with fly speed can make a Ref save each round to escape the whilwind.

(now the unclear part)

"Creatures trapped in the whirlwind cannot move except to go where the elemental carries them or to escape the whirwind.
Creatures caught in the whirwind can otherwise act normally, but must succeed on a Concentration check DC 15+spell level to cast a spell.
Creatures caught in the whirlwind take a -4 penalty to Dexterity and -2 penalty to attack rolls"

Then my questions follow:

-"Trapped in the whirlwind" is the same of "Caught in the whirlwind"?
-"Trapped in the whirlwind" means in the same square of the whirlwind or lifted in the air after have failed the 2nd Reflex?
-"Caught in the whirlwind" means in the same square of the whirlwind or lifted in the air after have failed the 2nd Reflex?

I'd like to know how you interpretated these sentences and which house rules you have eventually used.

Testament

First Post
Trapped, as I understand it, means they've failed the second save, and are actually being flung around inside it.

Caught means that the whirlwind is occupying their space, but they haven't been sucked up into it, ie, haven't failed the second save, or don't need to take it.

Nail

First Post
Wanderer20 said:
I plan to summon air elementals against my foes, and I think their power when in whirlwind state is great.
It's awesome, frankly. Especially against medium-sized fighter-type NPCs. My Clr 14 cleared out an entire room of mercenaries (all Ftr 6) this way.

Wnderer20 said:
-"Trapped in the whirlwind" is the same of "Caught in the whirlwind"?
Yep. No difference. Only those who've failed the second Ref save take those penalties you've listed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads