• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airship Piloting

In the campaign I'm playing in, we recently captured an airship. Now, none of us have ever flown, let alone been on one, until recently. My character, however, is an accomplished captain and has a caravel that he sails. The DM has suggested that I could take a feat to let me apply my Profession (Sailor) to Profession (Aviator?). This would work similar to the bardic feat Versatile Performer.

Versatile Performer allows a player to select Int Mod number of categories to have equal ranks in. However, after going from sailor to aviator I don't know what else would be applicable. Submariner? (I don't even know if those exist in this game.)

If I'm going to be burning a feat to use our shiny new doodad I'd like to get the most out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS: I wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the Homebrew forums. I apologize if I made a mistake.

ksbsnowowl

Explorer
Is this for Eberron? Or are these just some homebrew airship rules?

If the former, I compiled a rudimentary Eberron Airship Handbook that covers other ways to pilot them. Within that you'll note that Eberron's Explorer's Handbook calls out using Profession (Sailor) checks to operate an airship through complex maneuvers.

Dandu

First Post
In the campaign I'm playing in, we recently captured an airship. Now, none of us have ever flown, let alone been on one, until recently. My character, however, is an accomplished captain and has a caravel that he sails. The DM has suggested that I could take a feat to let me apply my Profession (Sailor) to Profession (Aviator?). This would work similar to the bardic feat Versatile Performer.

Versatile Performer allows a player to select Int Mod number of categories to have equal ranks in. However, after going from sailor to aviator I don't know what else would be applicable. Submariner? (I don't even know if those exist in this game.)

If I'm going to be burning a feat to use our shiny new doodad I'd like to get the most out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS: I wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the Homebrew forums. I apologize if I made a mistake.
Hire a crewman; this is a job for Hikaru Sulu, not James T. Kirk!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads