• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Airship Rules?

Darthbelch

First Post
Airships, I love em, and they are going to be in my next campaign. But I was wondering, does anyone have any favorite or really well put to together rules for airship construction and combat?

bestone

First Post
Im not really entirely sure, but i thought i noticed while glancing the ebberon books, some sort of airship. If i were you i'd take a browse at the book next time your in a hobby shop. It might just have something of interest in there.

ivocaliban

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
If someone does have some house rules for this, I'd be as interested as yourself.

But all I can personally do is recommend Airships (by Bastion Press). It's pretty cool.

Goodman Games also put out Aerial Adventure Guide: Sky Captain's Handbook, which could prove useful.

Sorry I don't have anything (free) to suggest. Best of luck, either way. :)

Both of the above books are good suggestions. I've been running a campaign centered around an (singular, there's only one that survived from a previous age) airship for around six years now and those books have helped quite a bit. While most of the material in Stormwrack deals with the sea, there is some useful material that can be used as a starting point.

While I did devise my own system of airship propulsion (including an Windtreader Engineer PrC), I can't say that I was ever really pleased with the results. As there was only one windtreader (just a fancy term for airship) in existence in my campaign, it wasn't that big of a problem. The Windtreader Engineer was an NPC whose family had kept the knowledge alive, at least theoretically, throughout several generations.

I've heard that the Halruaan Skyships are in Forgotten Realms: Shining South, but I have no idea how much information is present on the topic. Also, while this download isn't strictly airship-focused, it is free!

NPC Lord

First Post
both books already mentioned are very good. in mmy campaign, airships are rather common. i mostly used Airships (by Bastion Press), ebberon, and, to a certain extent, the starships from d20 modern. also, spelljammer had something rather simmaler to airships.

IMC I used an adapted version of the Stronghold Builder's guidebook to do build ships. Magic could easily be created that would cause the ship to "Sail on Air" - like that of Water Walk; but higher level I guess.

Remove ads