D&D General Al-Qadim, Campaign Guide: Zakhara, and Cultural Sensitivity

Glad you are finding delight in Al-Qadim @South by Southwest. My players have many fond memories of their adventures in that setting.

Thanks for the link for the Zakhara Campaign Guide - I had heard good things, and need to check that out.
It's pretty good, capturing the feel of the setting while modernizing it and fixing the more problematic stuff. As the OP said, one of the designers is from the region, which definitely helps in both getting an authentic feel as well as having someone who can point out any cultural issues that need fixing...

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well if it's any help at all, I recently created a 3D map of a kasbah, as an experiment. I've already created the topdown 3D image, and I've started cutting out the interiors - meaning I'm showing interior floor plans of each structure, and furnishing each enough that each building will serve as various detailed locations like: roti (flat bread) bakery and mill, drinking establishment (relaxed prohibitions or pre-Islam setting), brothel, restaurant, street vendors, spice merchants, rug merchants, coppersmith, incense merchant, jewelers/gem cutters, physician, etc. I'm doing a ground floor level, 2nd floor (all structures are at least 2 story), 3rd floor for tallest structures, 4th/towers level. Since I just made the 3D illustration, and though I've started cutting out the floors - I've just started, so nothing to post on that yet...

Weird how I just happened to be doing this right when you're showing interest in Al Qadim - which I've never played in, but was always aware of it's existence.

The second image shows the normal view perspective, and plugged in some pre-built models included the software, noting no Arab style people, so that's an orc, but I did have a camel, and the software comes with a library of plants - both types of palms are date palms of two varieties, I modeled the structures only.

kasbah01.jpg
orc-gate.jpg

Last edited:

Dukey

Villager
The 5e campaign guide sounds like a censored version of the original Al-Qadim because of 'sensibilities'. I think nothing beats the uncensored original (with all the flaws it may or may not have), but if you are subject to these sensibilities I'm sure the guide is a welcome addition and a great guide.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yeah, I...basically ignored any amount of that stuff with the setting I built with my players, which was (in part) inspired by Zakhara. That is, there might be some of these unfortunate things occurring somewhere in the Tarrakhuna, but they aren't particularly relevant as a cultural practice.

Frankly, I don't see any reason why "uglier" aspects of past extant societies need to be included in new authored works. For example, it is historically factual that Al-Andalus, one of the primary IRL historical periods/cultural groups I've drawn on, practiced slavery in a way that was, in practice, almost purely race-based. (Technically it was religion-based, but realistically, they imported massive numbers of Central and Eastern European Christians.) Yet, despite the fact that slavery was rampant in Al-Andalus, my setting emphatically forbids it, for its own cultural reasons.* This is not an accident, but it doesn't make the Tarrakhuna suddenly alien and weird compared to either the IRL historical/cultural inspirations nor the literary inspirations both fiction and non-fiction (e.g. the Thousand and One Nights, the Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor, the Rihla, the Kitab al-I'tibar, etc.) My players and I collaborated on what is or isn't in this world, and one of the biggest requirements I had, though I did not explicitly state it, was that the world be "bright" enough to actually be worth saving/protecting. Together, we made sure that that is true.

I did something similar with the primary religions of the setting. The dominant religious force, which is the "new" faith (though "new" is relative--both have existed for well over a thousand years), is the Safiqi priesthood. They accept priests regardless of gender, because their monotheistic deity, the One, is explicitly pre-gender; our concepts of "male" and "female" arise out of aspects of the One. There may be specific, relatively obscure sects that admit only men or only women, and it is known that some monasteries choose to have members of only one gender. But all are welcome in the priesthood regardless of their gender identity specifically because the One is too vast, too infinite. The "old" faith, which is still quite strong despite being a distinct second now, are the Kahina, the shamans and druids who deal with the nature-spirits and quelling the restless spirits of the unquiet dead, and they don't care about gender either, because they were founded long, long ago. Back then, mortal-kind was eking out a hardscrabble existence in the vast wastes between the genie-rajah cities. You never turned down a promising student because you never knew when you might find another. Nature can be a cruel mistress, and she does not look kindly on fools who put pointless restrictions before survival.

We, as creators, have the power to create worlds that are better than our own in various ways. That doesn't mean we must close our eyes and plug our ears. We can still face the wickedness that exists or existed. We can know, as the Shadow knows, what evil lurks in the hearts of men; we can build places and worlds where that evil is real and dangerous and lurking, without one where that evil is entrenched and pervasive and successful.

*Specifically, the current culture of the Tarrakhuna arose in part from throwing off the shackles of slavery to the ancient genie-rajahs, who were forced to abandon the mortal world for Al-Akirah, the elemental otherworld, where they formed the modern "country" of Jinnistan. (Modern Jinnistani nobles, naturally, deny that their ancestors were driven out, and claim that they willingly departed the world. The evidence is highly equivocal, so likely it's a mix of both.) As a result of literally being founded through a mortal slave revolt, the idea of enslaving other mortal beings is extremely not okay in the eyes of modern residents of the Tarrakhuna. That doesn't mean some people don't do it--they surely do, just as some people try here in the US--but it's a crime basically everywhere and being caught in mortal trafficking is basically a one-way ticket to financial and personal ruin.
That sounds fantastic. I have a region in my homebrew world specifically inspired by a mix of Al Andalus and Spanish Colonial California, especially during the period where there were Jewish refugees, Japanese samurai mercenaries, and several other interesting cultural groups doing various things throughout the Spanish colonies. What it doesn’t have is slavery, or religious persecution, or genocide. Instead imagine if Columbus and the conquistadores were replaced with non-bloodthirsty normal people, there was no Great Dying, and native magic and folk practices were successfully used to keep power balanced with the foreign folk. It’s an island chain that has seen invasions, but has seen a lot more trade, where the psuedo-Spanish and pseudo French and pseudo-Persian empires have all gained stable presence in the archipelago, but the controlling cultures are still native.

MGibster

Legend
One thing my recent reading on these settings, on Islam, on the Arabic language, and on Arab culture has convinced me of, though, is how exaggerated some of our popular perceptions of them can be in the West.
We tend to do that a lot, not just with Islamic groups but even Europeans. Ask the average American to describe a German, and there's a good chance you'll get a description of a Bavarian. As I understand it, the leprechaun is a very minor part of Irish folklore, but you wouldn't know that here in the United States. I know once in a while I'll watch some anime from Japan depicting Americans and I'll think to myself, "Is that how they think we are?"

One place where I think the West's popular perception is very skewed is in the matter of honor killings.
It's been a long, long time since I've read Al-Qadim. Were honor killings a thing there?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
That sounds fantastic. I have a region in my homebrew world specifically inspired by a mix of Al Andalus and Spanish Colonial California, especially during the period where there were Jewish refugees, Japanese samurai mercenaries, and several other interesting cultural groups doing various things throughout the Spanish colonies. What it doesn’t have is slavery, or religious persecution, or genocide. Instead imagine if Columbus and the conquistadores were replaced with non-bloodthirsty normal people, there was no Great Dying, and native magic and folk practices were successfully used to keep power balanced with the foreign folk. It’s an island chain that has seen invasions, but has seen a lot more trade, where the psuedo-Spanish and pseudo French and pseudo-Persian empires have all gained stable presence in the archipelago, but the controlling cultures are still native.
That, likewise, sounds fantastic! You'd probably find something vaguely similar in the Ten Thousand Isles of the Sapphire Sea, which stretches between the western coast of the Tarrakhuna (and adjacent lands, such as the northern jungles or the southern "elf" forests) and the faraway east coast of Yuxia, the Jade Home, which is heavily wuxia-inspired (and also mostly unknown to the people of the Tarrakhuna, because it's really really far away, it takes weeks to sail there even with extremely favorable conditions.) The islands themselves are sort of a blend between Polynesia/Micronesia and the crazy variety you see in the various islands visited by Sinbad the Sailor: some are inhabited, others are deserted apart from dangerous beasts; some have thriving local communities, others are xenophobic tribes; many are rich in resources and thus investigated for possible profit. The further westward you sail, the more it looks like Polynesia and SE Asia; the closer you are to the Tarrakhuna, the more it resembles India or, say, the eastern coast of Africa/southeastern coast of Arabia.

Our party's Spellslinger (think gunslinger, but augmented with magic) is a sort of "former wandering sheriff" and magitech engineer type; she's native to the eastern side of the Ten Thousand Isles, but educated in Yuxia. She's come to the Tarrakhuna to expand her knowledge beyond what is known in the world she's familiar with. And, likewise, the Tarrakhuna has only just recently completed formal diplomatic missions to Yuxia, which has caused a huge spike in interest toward imports from there, both in terms of goods and in terms of culture. The party has exploited the clout associated with dining at a fancy restaurant specialized in Yuxian cuisine, and there have been Suspicious Activities associated with some of the "antiquities" dealers selling "authentic" artifacts brought over from Yuxia (most of them being obvious fakes to anyone who actually takes the time to examine them closely.)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That, likewise, sounds fantastic! You'd probably find something vaguely similar in the Ten Thousand Isles of the Sapphire Sea, which stretches between the western coast of the Tarrakhuna (and adjacent lands, such as the northern jungles or the southern "elf" forests) and the faraway east coast of Yuxia, the Jade Home, which is heavily wuxia-inspired (and also mostly unknown to the people of the Tarrakhuna, because it's really really far away, it takes weeks to sail there even with extremely favorable conditions.) The islands themselves are sort of a blend between Polynesia/Micronesia and the crazy variety you see in the various islands visited by Sinbad the Sailor: some are inhabited, others are deserted apart from dangerous beasts; some have thriving local communities, others are xenophobic tribes; many are rich in resources and thus investigated for possible profit. The further westward you sail, the more it looks like Polynesia and SE Asia; the closer you are to the Tarrakhuna, the more it resembles India or, say, the eastern coast of Africa/southeastern coast of Arabia.

Our party's Spellslinger (think gunslinger, but augmented with magic) is a sort of "former wandering sheriff" and magitech engineer type; she's native to the eastern side of the Ten Thousand Isles, but educated in Yuxia. She's come to the Tarrakhuna to expand her knowledge beyond what is known in the world she's familiar with. And, likewise, the Tarrakhuna has only just recently completed formal diplomatic missions to Yuxia, which has caused a huge spike in interest toward imports from there, both in terms of goods and in terms of culture. The party has exploited the clout associated with dining at a fancy restaurant specialized in Yuxian cuisine, and there have been Suspicious Activities associated with some of the "antiquities" dealers selling "authentic" artifacts brought over from Yuxia (most of them being obvious fakes to anyone who actually takes the time to examine them closely.)
Hell yeah. Mine is a world of islands, and the Pacific Island cultures feature in a nearby region called the Expanse in common, so there are Māori and other Islander culture inspired folk in The Turtle (the aforementioned archipelago) as well. In keeping with the oddity of “Samurai mercenaries in Colonial Spain”, there are also warriors and craftsfolk from far off in The 9 Kingdoms (Norse-Celtic inspired land ruled by priestesses of the goddesses (3 sisters who resemble the Celtic Morrigan, Norse Freya, and Greek Artemis)), and from the even more distant Solis Federation, an ancient Persia inspired group of people’s that we’re once an empire and now are a federalist republic of semi-autonomous states.

One thing I am considering adding to the setting, somewhere, is a place where the vibe is similar to the American Colonies in 1765 or so. Just, no slavery.

The gods frown upon the practice, and the spirits (think 4e primal spirits🤷‍♂) will react with violent rage at the practice.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I can understand people preferring to play in a more modern theme park version of historically-inspired gaming, I really can. To me though, it seems disingenuous to present a setting that looks kinda like a place and period in history, but with all the parts we don't like cut out.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I can understand people preferring to play in a more modern theme park version of historically-inspired gaming, I really can. To me though, it seems disingenuous to present a setting that looks kinda like a place and period in history, but with all the parts we don't like cut out.
That might be disingenuous only for a game set that actual historical time. Aside from that, though, I don't see anything insincere about playing a setting that is inspired by, yet more aspirational than, what IRL history can provide.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
That might be disingenuous only for a game set that actual historical time. Aside from that, though, I don't see anything insincere about playing a setting that is inspired by, yet more aspirational than, what IRL history can provide.
Like I said, I understand why people like it.

Remove ads