• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Al-Qadim: Land of Fate (5e conversion)

Quickleaf

Legend
There were two other kits provided in Dragon magazine (issue 198): the Sungazer wizard and the Priest-Defender both of which are interesting but may or may not want to be included.
Just read "Scimitars Against the Dark..."

Priest-Defender (cleric): A secret society cleric operating outside the Clerics of Order (pragmatists, ethoists, moralists), having acquired secret knowledge used to fight a terrible evil. Interestingly, they get the ability to turn genies, bonus ancient languages, a "dark lore" ability that lets them ward off monsters & make monster knowledge checks, and are sort of an anti-sha'ir. Definitely enough to convert into a sub-class, and I think it's got a cool feel. Though I do wonder if it's a bit overkill on the cleric sub-classes...the PHB gives us 7...then we add 3 domains (hakima/truth, mysticism, prosperity)...death in the DMG...that's 10 or 11 already! Plus the name "priest-defender" is a bit weak.

Sungazer (wizard): Very similar feel to the Priest-Defender, and even gets the same "dark lore" ability, plus he can speak with supernatural creatures, detect evil, and his protective spells reduce damage dealt by creatures of darkness, except he goes slowly insane. Probably enough to convert into a sub-class, and it's got a cool feel. Plus we need some wizard sub-classes for Zakhara.

As far as the wizard subclasses go, I'll list my comments on each.
Great comments! And good catch on the Arcane Trickster subsuming the Jackal! So we're cutting the AQ Sorcerer, Jackal, and Spellslayer. And we'll use your Ghul Lord as a Sorcerous Origin.

How do you guys feel about us referencing Unearthed Arcana articles in the product? No problem?

Ok, for Zakharan Sorcerers we have...
  • Wild Magic (PHB)
  • Storm Magic, maybe? (UA)
  • Ghul Lord (MessiahMushroom)
  • 4 Elemental Mages (Quickleaf & MessiahMushroom)

For Zakharan Warlocks we have...
  • Archfey (PHB)
  • Fiend (PHB)
  • Great Old One (PHB)
  • Noble Genie > "Sha'ir" (Quickleaf, but needs revision)

For Zakharan Wizards we have...
  • "Ajami" (existing PHB arcane traditions)
  • Astrologer (?)
  • Clockwork Mage (use the UA Artificer & tinker gnome as a model) (?)
  • Digitalogist (MessiahMushroom, but needs revision)
  • Mageweaver (I think we might adapt this one as a "Fateweaver" toying with Fate/manipulating probability) (?)

I'm uncertain whether there's enough distinction between the various wizard sub-classes we have here. For example, numerology (digitalogist) and astrology have a bit of overlap, and the Digitalogist and Mageweaver both seem to store spells for later. And we've completely stripped out a native "blaster" wizard sub-class (the so-called AQ Sorcerer)... I wonder if we should include a bit about re-flavoring existing Arcane Traditions (the traditional 8 spell schools) to Zakhara? Just so there's a bit more diversity? Or do you guys like Zakharan Wizards being the tinkering scholarly number/star pontificating type exclusively?

Finally, the Mystic of Nog. I looked over the UA Rune Mage prestige class, and I think it's good to avoid for two reasons. (1) We've no official word on prestige classes yet, (2) The Mystic of Nog is really more about improving their physical aptitude and the Rune Mage has more elemental-themed magic (which steps on the toes of the Way of the Elements). So my vote is to adapt this one to a monk sub-class.

looks like we've got our work cut out for us!
:) Yep!

Last edited:

Though I do wonder if it's a bit overkill on the cleric sub-classes

Probably. Though Zakhara is a pretty holy place. I say we either do priest-defender or sungazer but not both. That way, we can incorporate ideas from both into one, complete and unique subclass.

How do you guys feel about us referencing Unearthed Arcana articles in the product? No problem?
I see a few issues here. For one, nothing is "official" in UA articles and the material is highly subject to change. Another thing that might lead us to avoid referencing them would be that they're not currently part of the open license, right?

[*]Storm Magic, maybe? (UA)
A finalized version of this subclass was published in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (SCAG) in case you didn't see it.

I'm uncertain whether there's enough distinction between the various wizard sub-classes we have here.
Fair'nuff. Let's do either a digitologist OR an astronomer tradition (my vote's with the astronomer) for the same reasons as the sungazer/priest-defender dilemma above. We would do well to re-flavor existing wizard subclasses as we see fit. I really can only see the evocation tradition (sorcerer kit) and maybe necromancer tradition (ghul lord kit) as fitting well.

My eyes are tired.

Quickleaf

Legend
Probably. Though Zakhara is a pretty holy place. I say we either do priest-defender or sungazer but not both. That way, we can incorporate ideas from both into one, complete and unique subclass.
Let's go for the sungazer then to round out our wizard sub-classes, and we'll cannibalize the priest-defender's features.

I see a few issues here. For one, nothing is "official" in UA articles and the material is highly subject to change. Another thing that might lead us to avoid referencing them would be that they're not currently part of the open license, right?
Good points.

A finalized version of this subclass was published in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (SCAG) in case you didn't see it.
Hmm, ok, I think referencing "see the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" is legit. I personally don't own the book, but from the reviews I've read it doesn't have much to offer that would be apropos of Zakhara.

Fair'nuff. Let's do either a digitologist OR an astronomer tradition (my vote's with the astronomer) for the same reasons as the sungazer/priest-defender dilemma above. We would do well to re-flavor existing wizard subclasses as we see fit. I really can only see the evocation tradition (sorcerer kit) and maybe necromancer tradition (ghul lord kit) as fitting well.
Let's go with astronomer then. I actually wrote up a Scholarly Mage sub-class here on ENWorld that could be a good addition...could insert some of the digitalogist's stuff in there, re-flavor it for Zakhara, and voila!

So, when it comes to who is doing which of the new sub-classes...here's what I'm thinking...bold indicates it's mostly done already.

Quickleaf
Path of the Civilized Brute (barbarian)
Guard (fighter)
Mamluk (fighter)
Noble Genie / Sha’ir (warlock)
Scholarly Mage (wizard)
Way of Painted Skin / Mystic of Nog (monk) = ?
Circle of Aged Masters / Kahin (druid) = ?
see "Arabian Adventures"
Desert Rider (ranger)

MessiahMushroom
Mysticism domain / Mystic (cleric)
Truth domain / Hakima (cleric)
Elemental Magic (sorcerer) with help from /u/braggadouchio
Ghul Lord (sorcerer)
Astrologer (wizard)
Sungazer (wizard) = ?
see "Scimitars Against the Dark", Dragon 198

/u/coolgamertagbro
Beauty domain (cleric)
Prosperity domain (cleric)

Sub-classes up for grabs

College of the Desert’s Voice / Rawun (bard) = ?
see "Arabian Adventures"
Oath of the Struggle / Faris (paladin) = ?
see "Arabian Adventures"
Barber (rogue) = ?
see "Arabian Adventures"
Clockwork Mage (wizard) = ?
see Complete Sha'ir's Handbook & UA Artificer:
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf
Fateweaver (wizard) = ?
see "mageweaver" in Complete Sha'ir's Handbook

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Here's my first stab at a Desert Rider fighter sub-class...

1000x643_9513_Saracene_charge_2d_illustration_sword_medieval_attack_rider_warriors_horses_charge_desert_warriors_pict.jpg

Desert Rider
Romantic heroes of the al-Badia, desert riders emerge from a sandstorm to rescue endangered travelers and swoop down from the dunes to raid caravans. They are praised in one breath and cursed in the next. The freedom of the desert astride a loyal steed is the only true freedom, according to desert riders. In their eyes the city-dwellers suffer a soul sickness tying them to land and property. But the only possessions that matter to these heroes are their steeds, whether high-spirited mare or curmudgeonly camel.

Bonded Steed
Starting at 3rd level, you and a steed you have trained for one week develop a spiritual bond with one another, conferring these benefits:

Empathy. While within 100 feet of one another, you and your steed intuitively sense each others’ feelings and state of health, and you can telepathically issue commands. You are no longer limited to only issuing commands to Dash, Disengage, or Dodge. In addition, you may issue commands to Attack, Hide, or Help.

Improved Quality. Add your proficiency bonus to your steed’s AC, as well as to any saving throws and skills it is proficient in. Add 5 times your proficiency bonus to your steed’s speed. Its hit point maximum equals its normal maximum or four times your ranger level, whichever is higher.

Sensory Link. While your steed is within 100 feet, as an action you can see thru your steed’s eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the animal has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses. At the start of your turn you may elect to spend an action to maintain the sensory link. Maintaining this link requires concentration.

You may only have one bonded steed at a time.

Saddle-born
Starting at 3rd level, mounting or dismounting costs you no extra movement, you don’t suffer damage for falling from a mount, and your checks to stay mounted are advantaged regardless of whether you are riding bareback or with a saddle. Moreover, you are an expert at identifying the quality of a horse or camel, and training steeds.

Strider
At 7th level, when you roll initiative, are aware of a threat and are not surprised, you gain a special turn that takes place before other creatures can act. On this turn, either you or your Bonded Steed can take the Dash, Disengage, or Dodge action.

Spirited Charge
At 11th level, when you move at least 20 feet before an attack, you deal an extra die of damage corresponding to the type of weapon you wield. In addition, when moving away from an enemy you hit after such a charge, opportunity attacks made against you (or your Bonded Steed) are disadvantaged.

Freedom of the Zephyr
At 15th level, you and your Bonded Steed both gain the benefit of a permanent freedom of movement spell, though it cannot be dispelled or detected in any way.

Quickleaf

Legend
And here's my quick & dirty guide to converting the old AD&D kits to their 5e equivalents...

Converting AD&D Al-Qadim Character Kits

Askar. Folk Hero background, Fighter (champion) or Fighter (guard).
Corsair. Sailor: Pirate variant background, Rogue (swashbuckler).
Desert Rider. Outlander or Caravan Driver background, Barbarian (elk totem) or Ranger (desert rider).
Faris. Paladin (any sub-class, but especially Oath of the Struggle).
Mamluk. Soldier: Mamluk variant background, and Fighter (mamluk).
Mercenary Barbarian. Barbarian (any sub-class, but especially Civilized Brute).
Outlands Warrior. Fighter (any).

Ajami. Wizard (any of 8 arcane traditions in PHB)
Astrologer. Wizard (astrologer).
Clockwork Mage. Wizard (clockwork mage).
Digitalogist. Wizard (scholarly mage).
Elemental Mage / Sorcerer. Sorcerer (elemental).
Ghul Lord. Sorcerer (ghul lord).
Jackal. Rogue (arcane trickster).
Mageweaver. Wizard (fateweaver).
Mystic of Nog. Monk (way of painted skin).
Sha’ir. Warlock (noble genie).
Spellslayer. Fighter (eldritch knight), Mage Slayer feat.

Barber. Rogue (barber).
Beggar-Thief. Urchin: beggar variant background, Rogue (thief).
Holy Slayer. Acolyte background, Rogue (assassin) or Monk (way of shadow).
Matrud. Outlander background, Rogue (thief).
Merchant-rogue. Guild Artisan: Merchant variant background, Rogue (mastermind).
Rawun. Bard (college of lore) or (college of the voice).
Sa’luk. Rogue (mastermind) or Rogue (thief).

Ethoist/Moralist/Pragmatist. Acolyte background, Cleric (any domain, Enlightened gods).
Hakima. Cleric (truth).
Kahin. Druid (circle of aged masters).
Mystic. Cleric (mysticism).
Outlands Priest. Cleric (any domain, any gods).

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Re: Astrologer - check out Seamus' http://collegeoflore.com/astrologer/ astrologer Background. It's not an archetype, much less a class, but it might still be useful.

Mind you, although I browsed some Al Qadim material back in 2e days, I never played in or ran any games in that setting, so I am a bit gun-shy of proposing any needed adaptions from Seamus's work. (Same holds with the Maztica setting.)

Also, he also produced two monk traditions, accessible through the same website: Way of the Wandering Blade and Tattooed Monk. I especially like the latter effort.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Two other sources, adaptations for 5e from material originally produced for 13th Age, have additional Backgrounds that might add useful flavor in a 5e AQ setting:

Midgard Heroes for 5e (7)
Background Page

Corsair p.18
Darkling p.19
Fey-Touched p.20
Guild Merchant p.22
Master Craftsman p.22
Nomad p.24
Raider p.25

Southlands Heroes for 5e (7)
Background Page

Child of the Divine p.13
Temple Slave p.15
Siwali Traveler p.16
Soldier: Quartermaster p.17
Soldier: Groom/Squire p.19
Soldier: Healer p.20
Desert Runner p.21

Midgard is drawn from a mix of quasi-Eur-Asian cultural flavors, including some Mid-Eastern influenced material. Southlands, set in the same game world, moves into a quasi-African setting, reminiscent of Garund on Golarion in the Pathfinder game, from which 13th Age derived.

Both the Midgard and Southlands 5e material is available through RPGNow.com.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6778305]Redthistle[/MENTION] I've heard good things about Midgard, thanks for the recommendation :)

Seamus' astrologer background is interesting, definitely food for thought.

His Tattooed Monk, while it has a good overall concept (almost identical to Sterling Vermins), is without a doubt OP and looks a little like power fantasy fulfillment (nothing wrong with that - just calling it like I see it). For example, the Lion tattoo makes the monk immune to fear and only requires 6th level, whereas an equivalent paladin ability (the ones classically immune to fear) kicks in at 10th. Likewise, Crab tattoo grants resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage and only requires 6th level, whereas the Barbarian gets that only when raging (a core class feature with limited per day use!).

But conceptually, the idea of a sub-class with an array of options to choose from across all sub-class feature levels makes a lot of sense for the Mystic of Nog.

Quickleaf

Legend
Right now I am a corporate lawyer preparing to get married this year! But I hope that I can help you with some cool ideas and concepts. My strongest skills are related to writing, world building and (to a lesser degree) rules development. I can help you with those, considering the material already prepared and some ideas that I have for Zakhara for D&D/FR 5e.

Bravesword! Could I get your legal knowledge on DM's Guild / OneBookshelf? Specifically, I'm trying to track down (and understand) their publisher contract in regards to what art is allowed and whether the publisher needs to acquire all rights to commissioned art?

The DM's Guild page for publishers:
http://www.dmsguild.com/whatisdmsguild.php
http://www.dmsguild.com/whatisdmsguild.php#contentagree

The OneBookshelf E-Book License Agreement (not sure if this applies?):
http://www.onebookshelf.com/agreements/OBS_DTC_Service_Agreement.pdf

Bravesword

First Post
Hello [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]! I can surely check the rules of the Guild and look for some advice. I only must highlight that I am most familiar with Brazilian Law, so I can confirm the full extension of the license basically based upon the information described in the documents themselves. Basically they say that you are responsible for whatever art you include, using commissioned art and establish an agreement with the artist yourself (including payment) and/or using copyright free and or allowed images.

I shall verify how the art should be considered after you publish it under DMs Guild, if you as “publisher” and/or the artist keep their rights to do what you want after you purchased the art, or if they would keep any IP right over it. I shall confirm this and let you know.

In addition, I am consolidating all the story hooks, ideas and concepts that I created before, in order to have a small gazetteer of Zakhara for a D&D 5e and FR Post-Sundering scenario (keeping in mind to keep the flavor of the AD&D 2e and without the large metaplots / Realm Shaking Events of Faerun). However, some specific events (The Great Unbinding, The Dark Omens) may be in place only to justify the appearance of new races, classes, monsters and updates.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads