D&D 5E Al-Qadim Moving Through the Flame

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Nimar listens, nodding obsequiously to Salahuddin with a feral snarl barely suppressed behind his cool thin lips. Before him is a man accustomed to courtly life, even if it is not the courts of mortal amirs and kings. Nimar recalls being around many such courtly men during his glory days serving the Sultan; their words were artfully constructed to pressure, leverage, shame, and manipulate. Not wishing to offend the Vizier Akilah, Nimar offer a smug smile to Salahuddin, "Of course, sha'ir. I didn't mean to presume. My men and I are here to serve the at the Vizier's pleasure. Hakim Oasis is lovely this time of year..."

Nimar's sense of humor is darkly ironic. Hakim Oasis, according to all reports, was likely a charred ruin after attacks from the raiders-in-black.

Sulking back to his rogues, Nimar explains their destination, brooking no dissent despite the grumblings from his men. For now, at least, Nimar seems to be upholding his side of the deal. His dark-eyed sister Fereshte, however, glares silently at Salahuddin from behind her camel as she guides it back into the caravan.[/SECTION]

GM: So [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION] you haven't made sense of geometric margin markings in the spellbook. To really see if there is a pattern, however, you'd need to unbind the spellbook so that all the pages were loose-leaf and then mix-and-match to see. That would be careful work – DC 13 Dexterity (Sleight of Hand or a sensible tool proficiency) to ensure you didn't tear any of the pages (and possibly lose some of the spells in the book).

GM: Sorry [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] I missed your edit!

OOC: So can Sinjin's creation ability duplicate the pages of the spellbook? If yes then I might have him do that so I can mess with the loose pages without destroying the book.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Interesting idea [MENTION=6803188]VLAD the Destroyer[/MENTION], but no. Allowing the creation spell to create spellbook pages would be very unbalanced.

Matthan

Explorer
Husam excuses himself from the Vizier's presence and makes his way towards Nimar and his men. He holds up his hand in greeting as he approaches, "Pleasant evening to you and your men. It occurred to me as you walked away that I lack understanding. The Loregiver tells us that pride leads a man to folly, but humility reaps a harvest of wisdom. I must confess my ignorance and ask your forgiveness of it. I know nothing of this Jabir and his tomb let alone what it means to you and your men. If you would tell me, I would like to hear the story. Who was Jabir? Why do you seek his tomb?"

Quickleaf

Legend
Thereupon, Nimar relates the tale of Jabir bin Hayyan, former moneylender to the Sultan, to Husam.

GM: You can read the tale here in post 172.

It is also summarized below for convenience...

"Jabir bin Hayyan was the Sultan's foremost moneylender. After the Sultan's fall, may Fate look upon him in his prison monastery, many treasures from the palace went unaccounted for. Now, everyone knew that the gold-fingered Jabir had secreted away much of the Sultan's wealth, but what no one knew was where. Until," he pauses for dramatic effect, resuming his story as he begins setting up the copper pieces, "the reading of Jabir's will. Choked on coffee mixed with gold. An expensive habit that cost him his life." Nimar grins darkly, finishing setting up his black pieces and begins setting up his pawns. "Jabir had stashed the Sultan's treasure in his very own tomb, where he was buried without even the knowledge of his two sons Anwar and Kalib, who are just as greedy as their father only far more in debt..." When Nimar enunciates the word 'debt', finishing setting up his pawns, it's apparent to Akilah that Jalib's sons are in debt to Nimar. (thanks to passive Insight 19!)

"The location of Jabir's tomb was kept secret by the priests of Jauhar the Gemmed, for it had been decades in construction relying on blindfolded labor. Jabir's greed eclipsed him even in death. However, one of the engineers, a wizard's apprentice, inscribed a map to the tomb from memory and wrote it within his spellbook to avoid suspicion..."

Matthan

Explorer
Husam nods as he listens to the tale, “So, Jabir was a selfish man in life and death. His greed led him to rob his lord and then having not learned the error of his ways and even passing his sin to his children, he chose to rob them as well in his death. He certainly has no rightful claim to it anymore if he ever did. I must beg your forgiveness again. When I heard you mention seeking a treasure in a man’s tomb, I jumped to the worst conclusion of your character. Instead, you are a man that has learned of an injustice that a wicked man thought his death would prevent ever being made right.”

“That leaves me curious, Nimar. I know Jabir’s tale, but I am still unclear why you wish to join your tale to his. What is his treasure to you? Do you seek justice here or just profit? If Jabir is everything you have described, then he has undoubtedly laid traps in his tombs to kill anyone who would pursue the treasure buried there. What is there that this treasure can do for you that is worth your life?”

Quickleaf

Legend
[SECTION]Trust the hand, not the dog. It was an aphorism that Nimar al-Solak heard many times spoken of himself, his brethren, and the other rogues and spies in his employ. And yet, squinting at the half-orc mamluk who'd been at the Vizier's side for the first day-and-a-half of their journey, he could not help but recall the aphorism. "It is not so simple. You had a father in the Sultan's employ, didn't you?" While he doesn't recognize Husam, Nimar does recognize the facial tattoos. The same tattoos, just on a different face. "He would understand that."

"Your Vizier and I have reached an agreement," says Nimar as he checks the edge of his scimitar, securing the sheath for travel. "The treasure will help us secure our place in Tajar, and she has agreed to speak to Sheikh Ali on our behalf that we no longer be treated as exiles in our own city, forced to crime because the Sheikh has blacklisted our names." Nimar picks his words carefully even as his lips subconsciously sneer at mentioning the Sheikh, clearly uncertain of the mamluk before him.

After a pause, he raises his brows toward the front of caravan. "We are moving again. Life is risk, mamluk. Mine, my kinsmen, yours. Why let a few traps dissuade us?"[/SECTION]

GM: So [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] earlier we established that Derafsh, Nimar, and the other former Haras al-Sirri know how to counteract the effects of zone of truth. Specifically, Akilah wasn't able to deduce Derafsh's true motives in seeking out the treasure. I think we should preserve that, so that no one upstages Akilah who is THE hakima, after all.

You can make an Insight check here, but I'll need to know what you're trying to ascertain, and it shouldn't be something we've already ruled out through [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION]' PC.

Last edited:

Matthan

Explorer
OOC: Husam wouldn’t be trying that hard at this point. I’ll roll an insight just in case there’s something that would jump out at him, but he is very much taking Nimar at his word.

Husam Insight on Nimar: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6

Ha! That’s my black and white, trusting Husam!

Husam nodded again, "I thought as much." He paused for a moment and saw people gathering to continue their journey. "I must return to my post, but I pray that you'll grant me just another minute more. I have not traveled much in my life. I have only seen the sea from the distance, but I met a drunken sailor once who told me a story of it. He spoke of a boat at sea. The wind picked up and the sailors on the deck hurried to catch it in their sails. Below the deck, the boat had a company of rowers that extended their oars and proceeded to row in the opposite direction. The ship sat still in the water as the two forces worked against each other. The drunk thought this was a hilarious picture, but I confess I didn’t see the humor. It seemed sad to never gain ground. Pursuing what’s behind you instead of what life is pushing you towards seems like a tragedy of missed opportunity.”

“My father once served the Sultan. It’s true. He felt the winds of Fate changing, pushing him towards a new life. He was afraid to leave what he knew, I’m sure, but he didn’t let that fear chain him to his past. He made the sacrifices he needed to follow where Fate was blowing. Nimar, look at the wind that has filled your sails. You were an outcast and now you travel with the Vizier, the very daughter of the Sheikh. You break bread in the company of the second highest official in our city. Do not let your attachment to the past hold you back from the future that Fate is pushing you towards. You were once men of stature and honor in Tajar. You can be such again, but you must seize the opportunity you have. Be the man of honor that you truly are, Nimar. The Sheikh and his Vizier are wise. Prove your heart and they will lift you to where you belong. The Loregiver teaches that a good name is worth more than gold. This treasure will not buy back your name in Tajar, but the Vizier can give it to you.”

Husam lifts his hand to stop himself. “I am sorry. I hope that I have not offended you with my words, and I have taken enough of your time. Thank you for speaking with me.” With a slight bow, Husam turns away and returns to mount up his horse for the next leg of the journey.

Shayuri

First Post
When Akilah had a moment to herself, she found Amina there, face turned down.

"Honored, may I speak? I have been speaking with our guides, and Derafsh, and have learned something that may help us."

Remove ads