Al-Qarin: Into the Desert (3-1-24)

Galeman

Explorer
good idea man. the group's getting a little too confident with their abilities. maybe it's time to send some level draining undeads at them. just to stay within the rules and avoid the "rat bastard - dm" title. :D but, just as an update, the game continues, though there was a break of about 2 weeks as work schedules and an impromptu visit to Vancouver, by me, ate in to some of our game time. but we're back on track and the whole group is well on their way 7th level. :] i try and i try, but they just won't die...

ledded

Herder of monkies
Galeman said:
<snip> just to stay within the rules and avoid the "rat bastard - dm" title. :D <snip>
Why would you want to *avoid* that title? It is a badge of honor, sir!

You haven't lived until you have...

1) sent an entire party of PC's (or what was left of them) fleeing for their life, crying and sniveling the whole time, or

2) done a plot twist of some sort that left them so stunned/messed up that on their turn they took the full round action of "sit here, stare dumbly for 6 seconds, and be messed up". :)

ledded said:
You haven't lived until you have...

1) sent an entire party of PC's (or what was left of them) fleeing for their life, crying and sniveling the whole time, or

See, the thing is, this is the way most encounters go in Galeman's campaigns, but after a half dozen or so TPK's in various campaigns, I've learned to spend the first round planning my escape. It's pretty much the only reason I'm playing a wizard in this game after having played one to 14th in another campaign...fighters just don't have as many options when it comes to departing the battlefield in ignoble disgrace... It's also why Khalid's personality is a bit different from what I normally play...this time, when I flee at the first sign of danger, I'm roleplaying ;)

It's been kind of slow around here, since Galeman has been working 3 to 11, and Shayla has been working 12-8 on most weekends, which is the only time I can really play, we haven't even played in about 3 weeks now, but hopefully we'll get a game in this weekend...

As for updates, uh, well I guess the good news is I'm about half done the next one, with the bad news being that I'm averaging less than a page a week....and since my updates are normally about 6 pages long...however, I will say that since Galeman has thus far been unsuccessful in killing us off, there's plenty more story left to be told and I do fully intend on telling it.

Well, it's been a long time in the works but I now have the pleasure to present to you the first part of Chapter 3. It hasn't really been proofed by Gorak, Shayla or Galeman so there may be slight changes and some grammatical stuff I haven't caught. This part is a setup to the actual adventure, which was one of the best I've ever played in. It's funny, in terms of actual session time, this probably only took an hour or so to cover, and it took me like 2 months to write...

Now, without further ado:

CHAPTER 3: THE MINES OF MALAKAI

* * * * * * * *​

"Get ready," Gorak growled as he hastily strung his short bow. "They're damn close." Even as he spoke, the others were leaping into motion. Jalaal drew an enormous two-handed scimitar with a single fluid motion, and Shayla grabbed for her crossbow. Arbaq calmly stood up, dusted off his hands and moved over to his belongings where he pulled out a crossbow that made the one Shayla carried look like a child's toy. Sliding one foot into the stirrup, he began to winch back the cable.

The hounds crested the southern dune, running hard. Khalid squinted through the descending gloom and was struck with an eerie sense of déjà vu as the shadowy forms crossed the distance between them impossibly fast. His eyes widened in surprise as he recognized the markings on the huge dogs. "Ah, they're not natural," he cried, unnecessarily as it turned out.

Jalaal stepped forward to intercept the mastiffs, but before he could level a blow at the lead hound, it skidded to a halt and belched out a thick gout of flame. The second mastiff raced past Jalaal and caught Shayla and Gorak by surprise, bathing them in flame as well. They reeled backwards, coughing and smoldering, trying to gain their wits as the creature pressed its advantage.

Jalaal was the first to recover his composure and stepped forward to deliver a brutal slash with his scimitar. The hound proved too nimble however, and dodged easily away from the blow. Arbaq, having finished loading his crossbow, prudently removed himself from harms way and withdrew into the desert.

Gorak, tossing his shortbow aside, drew out his cudgel and stepped forward to protect Shayla. Even as the hound lunged for his throat, he swung his cudgel in a low arc, smashing the creature aside. The blow only served to enrage the creature further however and was easily absorbed by its muscled hide. Shayla, taking advantage of the protection offered by Gorak, drew back and cast forth a volley of glowing discs, slashing the creature twice. Despite the failing light, Khalid could see thick rivulets of black blood course down the hound's side.

Seeing Jalaal hard pressed to defend himself against the hound's ferocious onslaught, Khalid quickly ran through his prepared spells, realizing with dismay that few, if any would be helpful against the infernal servants of the devil Vestalt. Selecting one of his most powerful spells, a recent addition to his repertoire, Khalid began to chant. As the last arcane syllable rolled off his tongue, a tiny pinpoint of light arced from his hand, and exploded with a soundless detonation above the hellhound. A shimmering rain of golden dust cascaded down over the area, coating the hound completely. Glittering motes of light clung to the beasts fur and swirled around its head. It sneezed once, then fixed its eyes on Khalid. There was no mistaking the malevolent intelligence behind that stare and the undiluted evil that directed the hounds will. With mounting fear, Khalid realized that his spell had been only partially successful. He turned to flee and then shrieked in pain as the hound leapt past Jalaal, taking a slash from his blade, and sank its fangs deep into Khalid's skinny shank.

Gorak and Shayla however, were faring better. They had found a rhythm, with Gorak edging the creature away from Shayla and punishing it his cudgel while Shayla cast spell after spell, slashing the creature's thick hide. Unrelenting, the hellhound ignored its wounds and lunged repeatedly at Gorak. The smell of burning flesh filled the air as its jaws tore into Gorak who returned the wound with a backhanded blow.

Jalaal advanced again, trying to draw the mastiff away from Khalid, but it's thick hide turned his blade. Khalid, driven by fear, ignored the searing pain in his leg and fled out into the desert. As he drew away from the hound, Arbaq loosed a bolt that went whizzing past his head but flew wide of the glittering hellhound as well. Unperturbed he set his crossbow down and began to winch back the cable again.

Again and again Gorak brought his heavy cudgel down upon the infernal mastiff, until finally it could stand no more. Even as it turned to flee into the desert, Shayla began to chant. Before it had made it more than dozen yards, twin lancets of force leapt from her hand and pierced the creature's thick hide. With a strangled yelp, it dropped lifeless to the ground. The other hound, possessed of intelligence greater than its courage, fled howling into the desert night.

Panting heavily, Khalid limped back towards the camp, trailed by Arbaq. Gorak began to tend to the wounds and burns inflicted by the hounds. Jalaal gritted his teeth as Gorak probed a deep bite on his arm, then gasped as Gorak's healing magic took effect. "Gods above, that hurt worse than the bite," he said somewhat shakily. Gorak simply grinned and rubbed the wound. Charred flesh fell away revealing fresh skin beneath.

"C'mere Khalid. It's your turn." Gorak growled.
Khalid who had been watching the proceedings with some trepidation replied, "Ah, no, that's quite, yes, quite alright. I'll be fine." He'd seen the effects of Gorak's healing magic too many times.

"C'mon, it'll only hurt for a second. It's a long ride to Gem-Sharad."

With a heavy sigh, Khalid walked over to Gorak. As he turned around, Shayla began to giggle. "Yes, I'm glad you find my injury amusing," he snapped.

"It's not that, it's…" she couldn't continue.

Khalid looked over his shoulder and cried out, "My robes!" The entire back had burned away from the hellhounds smoldering bite, revealing his loincloth. At that moment Gorak reached out and grabbed Khalid's leg. The ensuing shriek that rent the desert night echoed off the walls of Shalazar.

* * * * * * * * *​

The remainder of the trip to Gem-Sharad passed without incident. By about the midpoint of the journey, Khalid had stopped worrying about the mess they'd left in Shalazar, and began to worry about the mess he was returning to in Gem-Sharad. Despite Arbaq's assurance that he would be safe within his walled compound, the feeling of unease continued to grow. On the eighth day, when the city of Gem-Sharad coalesced like a shimmering mirage from the sweltering heat of the desert, Khalid's eyes were immediately drawn to the White Tower. It rose from the center of the city, past the graceful spires of the sultan's palace, like a great ivory tooth scratching at the belly of heaven. As they passed through the shantytown that surrounded the city proper, Khalid drew the end of his turban up around his face. He knew deep down that it was ludicrous to think that among the thousands of people that passed through the gates of Gem-Sharad, he would be noticed by one of Halaal's men. Nevertheless, he felt as though the eyes of everyone in the street were upon him. Silently he cursed the press of people that crowded around their camels and impeded their progress towards the safety of Arbaq's estate.

In due time, they passed into the city itself and some hours later, emerged on the northwest side before Arbaq's massive estate. If anything, it was larger and even more opulent than his holdings in Shalazar. When Khalid commented on this, Arbaq merely shrugged and replied something about a bigger pond and larger bait. Khalid was relieved to see that security here was no less imposing than it had been in Shalazar. Armed guards patrolled the compound and seemed to possess none of the indolence Khalid associated with the breed. They seemed surprised at Arbaq's arrival he noted, but given the circumstances of their departure, that was not entirely unexpected. Word of their arrival spread quickly through the estate, like ripples in a pond, and soon the entire compound was bustling with activity.

As they dismounted from the camels, several well-dressed men bearing sheaves of paper approached and bowed respectfully before Arbaq. With his characteristic stoicism, Arbaq betrayed no hint of weariness or annoyance as his took the proffered documents. As he walked towards the main building with Jalaal in tow, he called back over his shoulder, "You will have to forgive me, my friends, but I must attend to my affairs. Rooms have been prepared for you, and you have the run of the estate. Take your ease for a time, and then join me for dinner."

Khalid watched him depart, a studious look on his face. Despite having fought, well not exactly beside the man but close enough, and having traveled with him for over a week, he had learned very little about Arbaq. He was witty and urbane, charming to a fault, undeniably intelligent and still a complete mystery to Khalid. He had avoided all questions about his past or motivations with casual ease, and somehow managed to make even the threat of assassination by a planar monstrosity seem a mere inconvenience. Khalid realized with a start that he was standing alone in the courtyard. Hurriedly pulling his pack down from the back of his camel, he glared at the ignorant beast one final time and then caught up with Gorak and Shayla as they approached the main house. Unlike Shalazar, Arbaq's mansion here was only a single story, but was easily twice as large.

As the three wandered through the halls of the mansion, they were once again struck with the sheer magnitude of Arbaq's wealth. Their footsteps echoed on the marble floors as they walked past countless sitting rooms and dining halls. Everywhere, the trappings of wealth surrounded them in tasteful understatement. Arbaq had managed to blend the diverse cultures of the East and West together seamlessly in his home. Rich tapestries and scrollwork from the east complimented open western architecture. As Gorak and Shayla walked ahead, Khalid lingered and examined a particularly eye catching depiction of a line of charging knights crashing through a mass of pikemen. He shuddered to think of the weight of the ponderous armor and the devastating force behind the charge, then quickened his pace to rejoin the others.

A helpful servant directed them through the maze of hallways to their quarters. Gorak took one look at the opulent surroundings, the plush divans and four poster bed and with a disgusted snort tossed his pack out the window. Placing one hand on the frame he leapt through after it, into a large terraced garden. Kicking his pack under a hedge, he began to prowl around and examine the various exotic floras.

As Khalid moved on to his room, he heard Shayla sigh in rapturous delight as she flopped down on her bed. Khalid found his room to be no less luxurious than the others. With a critical gaze around, Khalid made himself right at home, and began to rearrange the furniture to his liking, enlisting several passing servants to aid him in his efforts. Finally satisfied, he dismissed the servants and headed down to the baths. He was pleasantly surprised to discover that Arbaq spared himself no comfort, and promptly made himself at home there as well. Clean and somewhat exhausted, Khalid returned to his room and slept until a servant summoned him to dinner.

Arbaq had an enormous feast prepared for them that evening. A table that would have easily seated two dozen people was prepared for them alone, laden with delicacies from every corner of the world. Arbaq himself was not present, but sent word that they were to begin without him, and that he would join them shortly. Khalid, never one to pass on a free meal, was already sampling the food closest at hand. Despite being unable to identify most of the dishes on the table, Khalid made a point of sampling each one, stopping only briefly to when he came across an infernally spiced rice dish. Quaffing two glasses of wine in rapid succession, he mopped the sweat from his bow and looked up to find that Arbaq had joined them, and was watching him with a faint air of amusement.

Having traveled with Arbaq for more than a week, the atmosphere was more relaxed now, and although still somewhat reserved, Arbaq frequently enjoined in the banter that flew easily between the three friends. After a particularly insulting exchange between Gorak and Shayla, he threw back his head and laughed heartily. Khalid, in the process of draining the last few drops from the bottom of his glass, caught a glimpse of something a little odd, something he hadn't noticed before. Keeping his suspicions to himself, he mulled it over in his head as he ate, wondering if his eyes had deceived him. Finally, having completed his mission of trying everything on the table including, to his embarrassment, what was evidently a decorative centerpiece, Khalid pushed his plate away with a heavy groan and poured himself another glass of wine. The candles were burning low, and Khalid realized that it was well past sunset.

Arbaq, who had been discussing the means of caring for several types of eastern plants he kept in his garden with Gorak, stood up. "Ah, it certainly has been an enjoyable evening my friends but I must excuse myself. I have an early appointment in the morning. Shayla, if you would care to join me, I find a brief walk around the garden before retiring to sublimely relaxing." He offered her his hand.

Shayla took it, and rose from her chair. "That would be delightful," she replied, leveling a devastating smile at him.

Gorak and Khalid watched them leave the room in silence. Then Gorak grunted, "What was that all about?"

Khalid shrugged, "Ah, I should think that's quite obvious. Yes, quite."

Gorak snorted in amusement. "Bah, what's he got that I don't have?" he growled jokingly.

"Ah, it's not so much what he has, but, ah, what he doesn't," Khalid replied.

Gorak raised an eyebrow inquiringly, "Yeah, what's that?"

"Ah, a powerful odor of camel, for one thing." Khalid said with a smirk.

Gorak roared with laughter, "Maybe I should visit the baths."

"Yes, quite."

* * * * * * * * * *​

Over the next several days, Khalid proved himself to be the worst sort of guest. He consumed vast quantities of expensive spirits and exotic foods. He lorded over the servants as if they were his own, and when he wasn't pouring over his spell book, he was in the harem or the baths. He dined frequently with Gorak, but rarely saw Shayla, who he presumed, was spending most of her time with Arbaq. Khalid was somewhat surprised when he heard a slight knock at his door. He had just sat down with a book pilfered from Arbaq's library, and a bottle of wine pilfered from his cellar. He put his book down and went to the door. He found Shayla outside, with a worried frown on her face.

"Ah, Shayla, what a pleasant surprise, yes, quite. What, ah, brings you here at this hour?"

"I'm sorry Khalid, I know it's late." Shayla apologized as she walked into his room.

"Ah, yes, well it's no bother. What's troubling you?"

"Well, I wanted to ask you something." She said hesitantly.

"Ah, well, yes, ah I can't answer it until you ask," Khalid said gently.

Biting her lip, Shayla said softly, "Have you ever heard of the Mirror of Mazgarat?"

Wracking his brain, Khalid tried to recall any wizards he'd read about named Mazgarat, and the names of the more powerful scrying devices. He thought for a bit, but while the name sounded familiar, he couldn't recall anything specific. He sighed, "I'm, ah, sorry, yes quite sorry, Shayla, but I've never heard of it."*

She looked crestfallen. "Oh, well that's okay, I just hoped you could tell me something about it."

"It is, ah, some sort of scrying device, yes?"

Shayla nodded, "Arbaq used it to show me things."

"Ah, yes, well mirrors and the like are usually, yes, usually the focus for such magicks." He looked at her curiously, "Ah, if I may be so bold, what did he show you?"

She was obviously reluctant to talk about it. "He showed me…things about my past, about who I am."

Khalid's suspicions were confirmed, and he said quietly, "Arbaq, he's not, ah, not quite human is he?"

Shayla shook her head. "Not entirely, no. He's like me." She brushed back her hair absently, revealing her slightly upswept ears.

"Ah, yes. I suspected as much. I'm ah, sorry, yes, quite sorry I can't tell you more about whatever that device, that Mirror of Mazgarat, is. But I will caution, yes, caution you that items of particular power, when used by those who are not trained, can be ah, shall we say, unpredictable. Yes, quite. Until we learn more about it, consider very carefully whatever he shows you with it."

"I think…I'm almost certain that he believes what he's showing me is the truth." Shayla replied.

"Indeed. Ah, he may not be deliberately misleading you, but that doesn't mean he can control, yes, control the device properly."

Shayla nodded, then impulsively hugged him. "Thanks Khalid. I'll let you get back to your studying." She paused. "What are you reading now?" she asked curiously.

"Ah, it's nothing," Khalid made a hasty grab for the book but Shayla snatched it away from him.

"The Seven Wives of Al'Afif." She raised an eyebrow. "Wasn't this book banned by edict of the Sultan?"

Khalid flushed, "Ah, yes, well it's a fascinating insight into the Sultan's court."

"And the fact that Al'Afif's wives were notorious harlots has nothing to do with it?"

"Ah, no, certainly not," Khalid replied indignantly.

Shayla laughed and tossed the book back to him, "Good night, Khalid."

* * * * * * * * *​

Three more days passed before the trio was summoned to Arbaq's office. Arbaq was sitting behind an enormous desk that was half buried beneath reams of papers and scrolls. The room itself was utilitarian, devoid of any adornment or artistry. An enormous bookshelf lined one wall and Khalid itched to browse through the titles. Opposite the bookshelf hung maps of every sort, some quite recently made and some, by their appearance, quite ancient. Jalaal was there as well, conferring with Arbaq over a scroll. As they approached the desk, Arbaq looked up. "Welcome my friends. I trust that you have enjoyed your stay thus far." He looked rather pointedly at Khalid.

"Ah, yes, quite," Khalid stammered, then quickly changed the subject. "Ah, I assume that you have, ah, sorted out the details of the task you alluded to when we arrived in Gem-Sharad?"

"Indeed. I need you complete a…transaction for me. A rival merchant has a virtual monopoly on a particular commodity I urgently require. You are to, shall we say, negotiate on my behalf."

"Negotiate?" Gorak grunted. "Like we negotiated that guy in Shalazar right?"

"Ah, yes," Arbaq nodded, "indeed. However, this time the negotiations are likely to be a bit more…intense. This merchant is quite a bit wealthier, and has a particular dislike for me."

Gorak grinned and slowly clenched his hands into fists, cracking each knuckle with an audible pop. "That ain't likely to improve after he meets us. Who is he?"

"His name," Arbaq replied, "is Malakai."

* * * * * * * * *​

*I've come to realize that Khalid doesn't know squat. This is yet another example of a horrible knowledge check.

Last edited:

MetalSlime

First Post
Great Story!

Just wanted to pop in to inform you that you have a new reader! I really love the story! It's hilarious!

It's good to know that I'm not the only person to have played a cowardly wizard who hides from battles in a Rope Trick. :cool: Unfortunately my poor wizard, affectionately known as Joam the Gnome (with familiar Jat the Rat), was knicked with a Sword of Wounding during such an escape up his rope at 7th level. He promptly bled to death in his extra-dimensional pocket, rope in hand. Let's pray this doesn't happen to Khalid.

Anyway, keep up the good writing! Your fan-base is growing :)

Hey, this is Gorak here. I thought EternalNewbie needed a bump and I've decided to let readers know that the plot gets really good from here on in. Some of my favorite game sessions are coming up! Much to Galemans chagrin, we're cruising along in levels. Combat is getting really interesting as well. Since tax season is almost over, hopefully EternalNewbie will get some free time soon to write another post. - Not before he does my taxes, of course ;) -

Remove ads