• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

AL VS LFR of 4th and why I'm so disappointed

In the end, things will be what they will be. After spending a significant portion of my life doing what I was told to do with minimum reasoning provided, I will continue to enjoy organised play. AL provides the portability for my chars that I find to be important to me, and the opportunity to continually meet new and diverse people that share the passion I have for this iconic game. Sure, I will gripe from time to time, but only because I care about and love this game.

The reasoning and information provided by Skerrit and Kalani have given me the thought process and reasoning behind some of the rulings. While I may not agree with the ruling 100%, I am satisfied that they explained things in a way that didn't portray a "because I said so" attitude. Thank you mates!

peace to all in the thread.

Last edited:

aarduini

Explorer
And honestly, when a prominent personality in this community tells another community member to basically "don't like the rules go play home games" then announcing "welcome to ignore list" does not do much to support the belief that this is a friendly, let alone inclusive, community.

I hear you. I fight the urge to stoop to that prominent personality's level often and many times I lose, but I fear that battle will take away from our message. The more people like you who come on board and say "Hey you are approaching this the wrong way and making my organized play experience not cool" The more the message will get across. But if it is a bitch fest, the people that need to hear will stop listening.

BTW. That prominent personality is not one of the people that need to hear.

aarduini

Explorer
For everyone's info, not just ArlenFrostlockes, the future proofing idea was not the Admins, it was WOTC's. They said "We expect that each expansion is balanced only with the core rules, not other expansions because a DM can just say no if a combo is broken. Since AL might not have that option, we want AL to use the story origin mechanic." So you while some players might say there are no current broken combos, we shouldn't use this, WOTC has told us that its a likely possibility show we should do this to future proof.

Here's another example of blaming Wizards. You state the IDEA was wizards. Did they mandate that you restrict content to be story + PHB, or was that a decision that was made by AL. If the latter, it doesn't matter what Wizards says. If the former, what do you decide on?

Did Wizards mandate that Epics require 5 tables per Tier (10-15 tables to qualify), or was that a decision made by AL. You only need 1 table per tier to pul an Epic off. The experience won't be the same as at a big convention, but it is better than nothing which is what most of the players are getting anyway.

kalani

First Post
It was WotCs decision. In fact, to my knowledge every rule and FAQ ruling in AL ultimately require approval from WotC. While the admins have considerable pull, and can make recommendations, ultimately - the decision falls to WotC as to what the rules of AL will be.

The campaign staff do however, write many of the rulings found on the FAQ (I have written a few myself for example) - but those rulings still require WotC approval before being published. I am not clear whether articles that lack rules content require prior approval from WotC.

aarduini

Explorer
It was WotCs decision. In fact, to my knowledge every rule and FAQ ruling in AL ultimately require approval from WotC. While the admins have considerable pull, and can make recommendations, ultimately - the decision falls to WotC as to what the rules of AL will be.

The campaign staff do however, write many of the rulings found on the FAQ (I have written a few myself for example) - but those rulings still require WotC approval before being published. I am not clear whether articles that lack rules content require prior approval from WotC.

Then why do I keep hearing that AL is separate from Wizards. If they are making granular decisions such as this, then AL and Wizards are one and the same as far as I'm concerned.

Coredump

Explorer
Careful Aaduini - there are those here that will ignore you for daring to question rules utilizing logic, and existing rules. They will fling deflections, ridicule, and outright dismissals of concerns that many of the playerbase have regarding restrictions.

For the love of god! Can you *please* stop playing the part of the whining victim...??!!?? Your passive aggressive "ooh...the bad men are picking on me" is just way over the top. If you have a point, make it. If you don't agree with someone else, refute their points. But please....oh please...stop acting like such a baby.

Coredump

Explorer
AL sanctioned playable races should not be restricted because they appeared in "a book that is not the PHB" While I agree that the playable race resources to draw from should be limited to the PHB + 1 other book - I see no reason why a deep gnome from EE cannot utilize the PHB + SCAG.

Really??? How? It has been explained numerous times, by several different people in this thread alone. Kalani gave you the reasons and you *thanked her*.... but now you 'don't get it'?? WTF?

Let me try this ONe. More. Time.

AL does *not want* the power creep that was so problematic in previous OP incarnations.
PLayers and DMs listed power creep and convoluted player options as a *bad* thing that the players and DMs didn't want either.

To prevent this.... AL has a rule of PHB+1 source. Now power creep will not be an issue. Now convoluted player options will not be an issue.

*That*is the reason.... if you still "don't see it" then the next step is to question your reading comprehension skills....

kalani

First Post
As far as deep gnomes (and only deep gnomes) are concerned - you are in luck. The Deep Gnome exists in both the EEPG and the SCAG.

Your EE Deep Gnome can either use the EEPG to gain the EE spells + Deep Gnome options, or they can use the SCAG and gain the Deep Gnome, class options and cantrips from that source (EE characters are the only characters who have such a choice at this time, although CoS characters may also gain similar options when CoS is released).

If you choose the latter, you can even learn some EE spells (but not cantrips) by copying them into a spell book/ritual book/book of ancient secrets. You can never mix the other EE races with the SCAG, nor can you mix the EE and SCAG cantrips, but there are options to learn EE spells.

With that being said however, given the SCAG rebuild that was offered - there are precious few EE wizards who have the EE spells to copy from (as a great many of them were rebuilt using the SCAG instead). Honestly, unless you really want one of the EE-exclusive races (Goliath, or Genasi), or you really want multiple EE spells (and/or cantrips), there is little reason to choose the EEPG.

Last edited:

For the love of god! Can you *please* stop playing the part of the whining victim...??!!?? Your passive aggressive "ooh...the bad men are picking on me" is just way over the top. If you have a point, make it. If you don't agree with someone else, refute their points. But please....oh please...stop acting like such a baby.
seriously mate? whine and complain, passive aggressive about something that actually happened. I made my points logically and concise. I received mockery, deflection and was told to go play something else then ignored. And this from a very vocal and very visable person on this site that has influence and friends. and as I posted a few posts later - if you do not like me arguing for my POV that conflicts with yours then please do ignore me for the echo chamber you want. It is posts like yours and that other personality that again enforce that this is NOT a friendly or inclusive community. Get off you high horse mate.

Really??? How? It has been explained numerous times, by several different people in this thread alone. Kalani gave you the reasons and you *thanked her*.... but now you 'don't get it'?? WTF?

Let me try this ONe. More. Time.

AL does *not want* the power creep that was so problematic in previous OP incarnations.
PLayers and DMs listed power creep and convoluted player options as a *bad* thing that the players and DMs didn't want either.

To prevent this.... AL has a rule of PHB+1 source. Now power creep will not be an issue. Now convoluted player options will not be an issue.

*That*is the reason.... if you still "don't see it" then the next step is to question your reading comprehension skills....

talk about reading comprehension skills - I have already posted that things were explained to me very well by Skerit and Kalani - way to go with the ad hominem attack at the end there mate

Remove ads