• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alan Moore still hates Hollywood

Ranger REG

Explorer
I know with Watchmen he made sure to have his name off of it and said he'd give any royalties they tried to give him to Dave Gibbons. Whether this happened with the other movies or not, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Who's Dave Gibbons?

EDIT: Nevermind. Wiki is my friend.

Last edited:

Trickstergod

First Post
Watchmen is awesome, and Moore has written great stuff, but what right does he have to actually wish ill on other people's work?

It is not and never will be Zach Snyder's work, though. It is, plain and simple, Alan Moore's. Moore's right is the fact that it's his work that's being put up on the screen. He has every right to criticize.

That he's criticizing before so much as seeing the movie or bothering to see it is over-dramatic, but it doesn't change the fact that if anyone has a right to piss on the film, it's the writer of the original work.

And let's face it - Hollywood has already urinated on a number of his works. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is most prominent in this. Other films, while not necessarily bad, were rather not the comics - From Hell, the film? Decent. But it significantly warps and twists the work it's based on. The movie goer who has read the comic may not care as much, but it's not their work that's getting redone. The personal attachment there is going to be considerable.

Comparison's to Christopher Tolkein fall flat; he's not someone living off the corpse of his parent. He's the originator of the work.

And, gee, yeah, Alan Moore is so worthy of hate, just because he gets into a righteous fury over Hollywood trampling over his work. A guy getting pissed because people put words in his mouth that he never uttered (such as claiming he supported certain films when he didn't) or significantly change what he's written is all too worthy of hate. Right up there with, oh...child molesting.

Yeah, he's a little over the top in his disdain. But he has the right.

Klaus

First Post
It is not and never will be Zach Snyder's work, though. It is, plain and simple, Alan Moore's. Moore's right is the fact that it's his work that's being put up on the screen. He has every right to criticize.

That he's criticizing before so much as seeing the movie or bothering to see it is over-dramatic, but it doesn't change the fact that if anyone has a right to piss on the film, it's the writer of the original work.

And let's face it - Hollywood has already urinated on a number of his works. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is most prominent in this. Other films, while not necessarily bad, were rather not the comics - From Hell, the film? Decent. But it significantly warps and twists the work it's based on. The movie goer who has read the comic may not care as much, but it's not their work that's getting redone. The personal attachment there is going to be considerable.

Comparison's to Christopher Tolkein fall flat; he's not someone living off the corpse of his parent. He's the originator of the work.

And, gee, yeah, Alan Moore is so worthy of hate, just because he gets into a righteous fury over Hollywood trampling over his work. A guy getting pissed because people put words in his mouth that he never uttered (such as claiming he supported certain films when he didn't) or significantly change what he's written is all too worthy of hate. Right up there with, oh...child molesting.

Yeah, he's a little over the top in his disdain. But he has the right.
The movie is "other people's work". There are professionals working on it, artists did designs, actors have rehearsed and performed their lines, special effects technicians have labored endlessly with Dr. Manhattan, Archimedes, Rorschach's mask, etc.

Blatantly saying that he wishes the movie is never released and is cursing it from afar is, to say the least, rude and petty. Can't he just say he wants nothing to do with the movie, but hope it does well because his collaborator Dave Gibbons would then be getting some nice, well-deserved royalties?

"Hollywood" isn't a monolithic entity. The people working on Watchmen didn't work on LXG, From Hell (a good movie, btw) and V For Vendetta (I hear good things about it).

So "righteous fury"? More like "self-righteous".

Enforcer

Explorer
V for Vendetta is very faithful to the comic, in my opinion, and the article quoted says that Moore hasn't even seen some of the film adaptation, so he doesn't come by his opinion honestly.

Remove ads