Alchemist class

sineater

First Post
I would like to make a Alchemist class for DND. What I am looking to do is create a person that carries his spells in vials and flasks. So when he throws them at the subject or object it breaks, and casts the spell. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Crothian

First Post
First, this is the type of thing that goes on in House Rules. No big deal, happens all the time.

Could this be donw through the Craft Potions and create Infusions feats? I think you could use a modified version of those feats to get a good fondation.

JohnNephew

First Post
In Occult Lore (off at the printer now), the Arcane Healer is an NPC class that essentially does this. Preparing spells in fact consists of mixing herbs and chemicals into a concoction that is used to generate the spell effect.

There's a thread in the D20 Publishers forum where I prattled on at some length about this, if you're interested.

Hedgemage

First Post
I think rather than a whole class, making a 5 (or at most 10) level prestige class would be cool.

You could even 'break' some of the conventions by creating a prestige class that could be gained at low level, say 4th level.

That way, a spellcaster could get the brew potion feat and/or 7 ranks in Alchemy, and then jump into the class to make fun things.

It would be easier to come up with low-level things for an alchemist to make than high level stuff. Thats why I'm suggesting a 5 level, low requirement prestige class.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Check out Bastion Press' "Alchemy & Herbalists" out now. It contains 3 prestige classes for Alchemists, as well as a whole chapter on integrating "classic" alchemy into a game, a sample alchemy school and tons of alchemical items.

Really an awesome product.

Soltares

First Post
It would make an interesting Core option to have a 'spellcraftsman' class that can create spells with his craft skill (such as potions, in your specific case) and carry them around to use later.

Depending on the craft, one could cut gemstones and crystals to harness their innate magical properties, distill elixers and ungeunts, carve tiny wooden totems and figures, harvest and preserve various animal parts to tap the properties of the animal / monster in question, inscribe mathematical formulae or astrological charts onto parchment to tap into principles of sacred geometry or cosmic power later, fold tiny origami figures and 'breathe' them into life as summoned constructs, create tiny mechanical clockworks to wind up and activate later, etc, etc.

Each spellcrafter would have one craft skill, and have only the smallest list of actual castable spells. Most of his spells would have to be prepared over hours and days, and be carried around as prepared foci that he constructed / shaped in his laboratory, on his loom, in his study, at his forge, etc. and he could activate them later like scrolls (but cheaper to create, as they are his principle spellcasting method, and limited to a certain number, to prevent him from carrying around 10,000 of them).

Soltares

First Post
It would make an interesting Core option to have a 'spellcraftsman' class that can create spells with his craft skill (such as potions, in your specific case) and carry them around to use later.

Depending on the craft, one could cut gemstones and crystals to harness their innate magical properties, distill elixers and ungeunts, carve tiny wooden totems and figures, harvest and preserve various animal parts to tap the properties of the animal / monster in question, inscribe mathematical formulae or astrological charts onto parchment to tap into principles of sacred geometry or cosmic power later, fold tiny origami figures and 'breathe' them into life as summoned constructs, create tiny mechanical clockworks to wind up and activate later, etc, etc.

Each spellcrafter would have one craft skill, and have only the smallest list of actual castable spells. Most of his spells would have to be prepared over hours and days, and be carried around as prepared foci that he constructed / shaped in his laboratory, on his loom, in his study, at his forge, etc. and he could activate them later like scrolls (but cheaper to create, as they are his principle spellcasting method, and limited to a certain number, to prevent him from carrying around 10,000 of them).

As for the Alchemist as a Core class, the best I have ever seen was in some old 1st Edition product called the Compleat Alchemists Handbook, by Bard Games. Nothing I've read since was half so interesting.

Rayston

First Post
Compleat Alchemist

Yes the Compleat alchemist was very cool. I have it.

I believe the company that made that supplement ended up being bought by WotC

I would love if it got reissued with 3e rules. My only real problem with it was that it paved the way for some rather overpowered PC's.

I am slowly working on a workable alchemist class but it is slow going

Rayston

Remove ads