Alchemist's glove concept

Borthos

First Post
So my friend and I had an idea for an item for an Alchemist.

"The Alchemist's Glove is an ideal addition to any Alchemical repertoire. The glove is created from a special type of material that can emulate energy types with the right solution poured on it. With a vial of Energy Agent (EA), the glove can ooze acid, wreathe itself in flames, arc lightning, or freeze from the touch. Applying a vial of EA is a full round action that provokes AoOs. When activated, the Alchemist's Glove acts as the spell Shocking Grasp but dealing 5d6 damage of the appropriate energy type. Once the energy is used after a single touch attack, the Alchemist's Glove reverts to it's normal, uncharged state. While wearing an Alchemist's Glove, no other magical gauntlets or gloves can be worn over the glove, and the Glove itself cannot be worn over another magical glove. While activated, you cannot hold an item in the hand the Alchemist's glove is on.
An Alchemist must create his own Glove, as each glove is attuned to the creator. The creator must have 5 ranks in Craft (alchemy) to create the Glove or a vial of Energy Agent."

What do you guys think of this item and how would you price it if you included it in your game?

Last edited:

Borthos

First Post
That's why I posted it, so that I could get some ideas on what you guys think of it. Whether it's good, bad, sucktastic, how would you guys price it, all that stuff.

Kaisoku

First Post
Actually... the Alchemist class already gets an extract called "Elemental Touch". Not quite the same, as it does a different and ongoing effect, but it's pretty much in the vein of the idea you were thinking of.

For the actual items in questions. The problem is that the glove itself doesn't really do anything. There's virtually no need for the glove to be there in the first place.
If the glove could do something on top of this (like hold the charge indefinitely, similar to spell storing item I guess), then it might warrant a price in itself.

As it is... I'd probably just price the Energy Agents at a one-time use, non-spell completion, use activated item for a 1st level spell cast at 5th caster level (shocking grasp at 5d6 damage).
Which comes to 250gp per agent.

How about this idea, for a more Torchlight gauntlet that an Alchemist would want:

ALCHEMIST'S FIST

Aura
moderate transmutation; CL 10th
Slot hands; Price 10,000gp; Weight 3 lbs

Description
This heavy gauntlet is a highly sought item for alchemists who make full use of their bombs. It acts as a normal gauntlet in combat, including using the gauntlet while under the effects of the stone fist spell. The gauntlet may be further enchanted as a weapon if desired.
The real benefit to the Alchemist's Fist is towards their use of bombs. First, the gauntlet grants an alchemist 2 additional bombs per day. In addition to this, the user may infuse the gauntlet with the energy of a bomb, and use it to make a melee touch attack to deliver the bomb's damage and effects. This creates an explosion that causes the normal damage to the victim, and splash damage in a 15ft cone in the direction the alchemist attacked. The alchemist may make an unarmed strike to deliver this effect instead. Any area effects added to the bomb (such as with a smoke bomb), use this cone area instead. The Explosive Bombs discovery increases the cone to 30ft.
If the alchemist misses with his attack, he may discharge the splash damage in the area normally (affecting the original target as well), he may hold the charge in the glove indefinitely until he makes a successful attack, or he may release the charge harmlessly and lose the bomb.
An Alchemist's Fist is typically crafted with runes and jutting metal pieces that glow when infused with a bomb effect.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, crafter must have the bomb class ability; Cost 5,000 gp
This gives a neat effect that enhances the splash damage a little (similar to how Ember Shock has that splash effect in Torchlight), and it can do any kind of elemental damage that your bombs are doing.
Pick up Shock Bombs discovery, and you can now punch for d6's of electricity damage that bursts in a cone effect. Or force effects, or whatever your flavor.

This item would probably make for a great weapon for Master Chymists (gauntlets are simple weapons). The Brutality effect, full bomb ability, and the stats to be in close combat...

Last edited:

Borthos

First Post
Yeah, elemental touch is a really meh infusion imo. That's a really cool idea, though. One question, how'd you come up with that price?

Kaisoku

First Post
Well.. I looked at other things that improved and granted extra uses of class abilities. Things like the Monk's Robe and Ki Mat, etc. These all seem to sit around the 10k mark.

I figured the benefits of having a couple extra uses of bombs was already pretty good to begin with (like a free stacking feat of extra bombs), and then slapped on a larger/different shaped area for splash damage, and the ability to hold a charge if you missed dealing the main damage (slightly offset by the need to be up close and personal).
Then I added the cost of a +1 gauntlet.

The only thing I might change is to allow the option of releasing the charge in a burst that deals only splash damage in the cone effect. *Edit* Changed it.

Last edited:

Borthos

First Post
I really love that idea actually, it's like 15x better than mine lol. I've drafted a set of rules for creating Alchemical Items too, but I'm still tweaking them to be in line with current AI costs. My DM is allowing it because we have no wizard, and I'm basically the party caster/half-tank. We have a sorcerer, and he's not bad, but his bloodline is melee centered and he doesn't like getting into melee with him. I'm gonna run this by my DM to see if he'll allow me to make it.

Edit: Wouldn't it be more apporpriate to take craft magic arms and armor for this? or would it fit under wondrous item?

Last edited:

Kaisoku

First Post
Honestly.. I wasn't sure. You could probably leave out the +1 weapon enhancement effect altogether, and just say it can "also" be enhanced as a weapon. This would cheapen it down to only 10k gp.

Just like the gauntlet of rust actually. I think the +1 enhancement might muddy the waters a bit, I'll take it out.

Remove ads