• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alchemy and Healing Potions

Pour

First Post
Why can't alchemists brew healing potions? One of my players posed the question to me and I couldn't initially answer. The level 5 magic item Potion of Healing requires a minor action to drink and the spending of a healing surge to heal 10 hp. It costs 50gp to buy from a temple (and if I go with the component cost of a level 5 alchemical item the price is also 50 gp).

I don't think this steps on my party's cleric's toes, nor unbalances things, but I'd like to check here and get some impressions. I've currently ruled the Potion of Healing open to Alchemy, with a component cost of 50 gp and a selling price of 50 gp (so no profit, which may make sense from a temple charity standpoint and a price that only covers the cost of components).

Tai

First Post
Presumably large-scale organisations can make potions for less, either by growing their own herbs, or simply by producing them on a huge scale for less money. The price is the price for an adventurer to make one, rather than for a professional to make one, so I wouldn't worry about profit margins...

Eric Finley

First Post
Yup.

In my campaign the Brew Potion ritual does not exist, but alchemical recipes for ALL consumable items can (not necessarily easily) be obtained.

Easy and effective. It's not like Ritual Magic needs the extra advantage. (The thing that really pissed me off about it initially was that for the cost of Brew Potion you got every single Potion "recipe" for free while the alchemists, already struggling to keep up, have to pay for each one off their much smaller list.)

As far as profit goes its the same as for any other equipment. If you buy it there's a 10-40% markup. Make it yourself you get it at cost. That is the markup which is the profit for makers of items.

Remove ads