• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alchemy...Too Expensive?

Runestar

First Post
Then don't use it. The alchemy stuff looks like one of the few parts of the book that isn't blatent power creep.

That does not justify it being weaker than it should be either. People pay good money for the AV so they can use premade stuff without having to spend time and effort creating them themselves. Why should I be punished for the shortcomings of the designers?

Snarls-at-Fleas

First Post
That does not justify it being weaker than it should be either. People pay good money for the AV so they can use premade stuff without having to spend time and effort creating them themselves. Why should I be punished for the shortcomings of the designers?

It's not the shortcoming of the designers, but misunderstanding of players. Alchemy is intended for the low-magic campaigns without arcane (and perhaps divivne) power source. So remove wizards & warlock (and maybe cleric & paladin) and here... alchemy is useful and not that expensive. :)

Stalker0

Legend
Alchemy is intended for the low-magic campaigns without arcane (and perhaps divivne) power source.

Ah, of course! I missed the clause in the adventurer's vault that mentions the prices are meant for low magic campaigns.

Except....there isn't one:)

The fact is alchemy is meant to be used in a normal game, and should be balanced as such. My personal preference would be that the attack bonuses are better than my normal powers, but the damage should be the same.

That way I'm more likely to get actual use out of the item instead of it just being a waste of money. Further, since its better than my normal attack, I have some incentive to spend money on it.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
The fact is alchemy is meant to be used in a normal game, and should be balanced as such. My personal preference would be that the attack bonuses are better than my normal powers, but the damage should be the same.

That way I'm more likely to get actual use out of the item instead of it just being a waste of money. Further, since its better than my normal attack, I have some incentive to spend money on it.

In short, new book, everything should be more powerful than what you already have. The fact that alchemy grants new options for players, and not just low magic, isn't enough, they have to be new options that are useful ALL THE TIME by outclassing your current normal attack. :hmm:

Keep that up for a couple books and paragon will be the new epic. Expected damage out/in has already taken a significant jump with AV+FR.

Ahglock

First Post
In short, new book, everything should be more powerful than what you already have. The fact that alchemy grants new options for players, and not just low magic, isn't enough, they have to be new options that are useful ALL THE TIME by outclassing your current normal attack. :hmm:

Keep that up for a couple books and paragon will be the new epic. Expected damage out/in has already taken a significant jump with AV+FR.

you should get what you pay for. If you are dropping large wads of cash on a one shot item it should beat out your at will powers.

SableWyvern

Adventurer
So Stalker0, mathemetician that you are: what is an appropriate increase to the attack bonus of alchemical items?

[Serious question, I trust your judgement]

Runestar

First Post
In short, new book, everything should be more powerful than what you already have.

If an item is too powerful, it gets problematic as everyone wants one, and having it may unbalance the game. Conversely, if an item is too weak, it is equally problematic in that nobody would want to use it, which in turn translates to less options compared to if it had been balanced.

I just ask that they at least not be inferior (which is already a lot of leeway, considering that I have to pay for them). Is that too much to ask for?

Regicide

Banned
Banned
you should get what you pay for. If you are dropping large wads of cash on a one shot item it should beat out your at will powers.

The point is alchemy gives you an option to do something that your at-wills can't. So yes, that large wad of cash you dropped DOES beat your at-will powers.

Remove ads