• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alchemy

Kaji

First Post
Looking for a little help.
I've got a character who I would like to have an alchemy focus. However, alchemy items are spread all through various Dragons and sourcebooks. Has anyone put together a spreadsheet listing items and sources to make my life a little easier?

Ghostwind

First Post
Probably the best sourcebook on Alchemy is by Bastion Press (Alchemy & Herbalists). I believe it may still be on sale at Bastion's online store.

Edit: The sale ended Sat. the 21st.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Sorry Steve, but I would have to disagree on Alchemy & Herbalists by Bastion Press. I've gone through a similar process of collecting alchemical preparations and rules from a wide variety of sources, and A&H really stood out as being a totally separate system, unbalanced with respect to just about *any* other published source of alchemy - and that includes the DMG! You can read some of my arguments why I feel that way on BP's forums

So, what do I recommend then? The best single source for alchemical preparation is probably Crystal Keep. Check out their Index of Equipment (3.0), which has almost nine pages of alchemy, including almost everything from Dragon 274 to 308 (naughty, naughty!)

Another good online resource which includes stuff from Dragon 280, plus a bunch of homebrewn items (but very well balanced) is Stormkeep. Check their Alchemist's Laboratory.

For other published sources, there is quite a bit spread out across different source books. Spells & Spellcraft has a nice collection, so does Quintessential Elf, Kalamar Player's Guide, and the Ultimate Equipment Guide.

Kaji

First Post
Conaill said:
Sorry Steve, but I would have to disagree on Alchemy & Herbalists by Bastion Press. I've gone through a similar process of collecting alchemical preparations and rules from a wide variety of sources, and A&H really stood out as being a totally separate system, unbalanced with respect to just about *any* other published source of alchemy - and that includes the DMG! You can read some of my arguments why I feel that way on BP's forums

So, what do I recommend then? The best single source for alchemical preparation is probably Crystal Keep. Check out their Index of Equipment (3.0), which has almost nine pages of alchemy, including almost everything from Dragon 274 to 308 (naughty, naughty!)

Another good online resource which includes stuff from Dragon 280, plus a bunch of homebrewn items (but very well balanced) is Stormkeep. Check their Alchemist's Laboratory.

For other published sources, there is quite a bit spread out across different source books. Spells & Spellcraft has a nice collection, so does Quintessential Elf, Kalamar Player's Guide, and the Ultimate Equipment Guide.

I've heard both good and bad things about Alchemy & Herbalists by Bastion Press. I looked at it myself at one point, and I was not super impressed. The links to the alchemists laboratory are prett useful, and might be a good place to start where I can create my own deal and fill in the blanks. I think this might be my next project, adding all the alchemy stuff together. I just finished putting all the text for spells (or at least most of them) into one massive document so I don't have to carry all my books around from session to session. Lots of work, but not legal for distribution. Sad.

Conaill

First Post
Kaji said:
Lots of work, but not legal for distribution. Sad.
I'd send you my own list if it wasn't for that little detail... I've got well over 200 alchemical items so far, and that's *without* using A&H.

PS: One thing you *have* to consult your DM about to make an alchemist a viable PC choice is the issue of crafting time... PC crafters in general are pretty much hosed because everything takes so damn long to make. If you want to be an *adventuring* crafter, it's essential to reduce the crafting time by at least a factor of 7 or 10 (i.e. calculating progress in sp/day or gp/week). You'll still be way behind magical crafting (1000 gp/day), but at least now your character concept is somewhat viable. (Even a factor of 70 - gp/day - would not be all that unbalanced.)

Another thing you should try to acquire in-game is a movable lab. Not just portable, but one that you can actually *use* while moving. I've got a lab set up in our ship, and we often spend days sailing from one place to another, which leaves my alchemist time to craft some stuff.

Kaji

First Post
Conaill said:
I'd send you my own list if it wasn't for that little detail... I've got well over 200 alchemical items so far, and that's *without* using A&H.

PS: One thing you *have* to consult your DM about to make an alchemist a viable PC choice is the issue of crafting time... PC crafters in general are pretty much hosed because everything takes so damn long to make. If you want to be an *adventuring* crafter, it's essential to reduce the crafting time by at least a factor of 7 or 10 (i.e. calculating progress in sp/day or gp/week). You'll still be way behind magical crafting (1000 gp/day), but at least now your character concept is somewhat viable. (Even a factor of 70 - gp/day - would not be all that unbalanced.)

Another thing you should try to acquire in-game is a movable lab. Not just portable, but one that you can actually *use* while moving. I've got a lab set up in our ship, and we often spend days sailing from one place to another, which leaves my alchemist time to craft some stuff.

Does your list contain the full description? I'm not sure it's illegal if you send me just the names of the items and the sources they are derived from. Maybe you can hack just that part out and ship it my way via e-mail? I'd appreciate it. gnomemaniac66@yahoo.com

That way, if I don't own the source, it's worthless to me (or I'll go buy it) and if I do own the source (and I have a ton) I can use your sheet as a guide and fill in the rest of the details myself.

Conaill

First Post
Done.

If you had to buy a single sourcebook, I'd probably pick Spells & Spellcraft or the Ultimate Equipment Guide, because both of those have lots of additional utility as well. Combined with Crystal Keep and Stormkeep, you should be set.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads