• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alchohol During A D&D Game?

Thunt

First Post
A couple of my players have been asking if they could have a beer or two (or three, probably) while we play. I've always had a ban on alchohol durin game, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm being too strict. What do you think?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I've never had a problem with moderate alcohol consumption during my games. My games have always been occasions for myself and my fellow gamers to 'unwind', and if some people want a pint of lager or a glass of wine during a session, I see no reason not to indulge them.

If your players are mature (i.e. not likely to become drunk and disruptive), what's the harm?

(I know that I would not be thrilled to game with someone who refused to let me, a responsible adult, have a beer during a game. That kind of patronizing attitude would really rub me the wrong way.)

MonsterMash

First Post
Personally I don't object and I have had a beer during an evening game at a GM's house, but I leave it down to 'house rules' so if it is not allowed by the host then I won't.

Of course if you've got a group that meets in a pub, its pretty mandatory to buy drinks and beer is much better value than soft drinks in pubs. ;) :eek:

BullMarkOne

First Post
Beer and gaming go hand in hand for me. I have one or two beers at just about every session I play or dm. I will add though that my group favors long 8+hour sessions, and my beers do generally get warm before I've finished them.

The thing most people have agains alcahol and gaming is that its too easy for the social experience of sitting around and drinking can easily overshadow the social experience of sitting around gaming.

Fieari

Explorer
Moderate Alchohol consumption does not hurt. Very mild tipsyness, in my experience, does not hinder gaming.

Shots, on the other hand, does hinder gaming. But a beer or two, if consumed slowly and over a long period of time... hasn't hurt anything in my games.

Shadowdancer

First Post
We will often have a beer or two, or a glass of wine or two, during a game session. I'll even occassionally drink a Crown and Coke, or Crown on the rocks (gotta keep those dice bags coming).

But we never drink to the point of intoxication. We save that for the New Year's Eve party.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Akrasia said:
I've never had a problem with moderate alcohol consumption during my games. My games have always been occasions for myself and my fellow gamers to 'unwind', and if some people want a pint of lager or a glass of wine during a session, I see no reason not to indulge them.

If your players are mature (i.e. not likely to become drunk and disruptive), what's the harm?

(I know that I would not be thrilled to game with someone who refused to let me, a responsible adult, have a beer during a game. That kind of patronizing attitude would really rub me the wrong way.)

Same here Akrasia....pretty much agree with everything ya said. We (me and my players) have had a couple of beers, shot of liquor, or even a couple of mixed drinks (none of us are wine drinkers really, except the wifey....) Never had a problem. Like you said, gaming is a way to "unwind" and "escape" for a while. So long as no one's getting bombed or s-faced....I dont see a problem.

Paragon Kobold

First Post
One of my players have come up with the idea that when someone goes up a level they should bring a
bottle of wine to the next session.

I suspect that this is a ploy to make me give out more xp.

JamesDJarvis

First Post
Light consumption seems to be okay. More then 2 or 3 drinks playingh and Dming can suffer.
I drink occasionally and once in bnlue moon someoen bringhsa micro bnrew six pack. All the folks that drive are careful, sometimes one of the players who is getting a lift from another player will be naughty and drink enoungh to get a buzz on buty this is really the exception.

Of course as our kids get older I wonder if drinking during D&D is good or bad: pro- they can learn about responsibnle drinking. con- they will associate drinking with fun, you can have fun without drinking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads