• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alcohol and D&D

Undead Pete

First Post
Have you ever downed a few too many while gaming and regretted it the next day?

Let's hear some incidents where you may have had a lapse of gaming judgment due to a few too many mugs of dwarven spirits.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Not too many, nah. :p

Still, a friend of mine used to run an all-orc game whenever he and his group were too drunk to do something else. I hear that this campaign was kinda... silly... at times. :p

Telor

First Post
We often consume alcohol amongst other things at our table. I'd say on any given night we spend about 2/3 of the time doing real DnD stuff the rest of the time is spent cracking OOC jokes or telling hilarious stories.

Last time we played we spent an hour playing DnD as hick players (almost all of us are from central PA so we know what we're talking about).

[Everything spoken with a hillbilly accent]
"Tell me where I can find me the way out of these parts."
"Well ya go on down the road here a ways until you come to a big rock, old man Johnson's farm use to be there but it burned down I'd say 20 years ago. Anyhow, make a right and if you see Cooter on yer way tell him we're gonna do some drinkin tonight."

"Well let me whip out my bastard sword."
"Hey thats just like me, ever since my pa run'd off with his sister."
[End Quote]

Yeah, I would say that drugs prevent us from ever getting too serious at our table... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Telor

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Well, I always drink when I'm DM'ing, and it's never done me anything but good (loosens me up, lets me not sweat the small stuff etc).

But this one time while playing Champions, one of my players brought over some cookies that were liberally laced with a certain herb that I'm not sure Eric's Grandma would appreciate my naming. One cookie for each player, and one for his DM.

Now, I'm not much for this herb. I don't use it in my everyday life because I don't smoke (period) and have trouble holding the smoke in for the time necessary.

The cookie seemed like a decent way for me to enjoy this experience with my friends.

Apparrently it had a lot of active ingredient in it (so much so that the regular users in our group commented on it's strength) and about 11pm I just, literally, could no longer think.

I couldn't rememeber what part of the game we were in, what my NPC were supposed to do, what the plot was etc.

at about 11:05 I just called it.Just "OK, we are done for the night"

One of my players said "Uh, can I finish rolling?" (he was in mid-action)

My response was "you can, but there's no way I can tell you what effect your actions will have."

I was stunned how empty my mind was while under the influence. Just "empty". Until that moment I was unaware that I have a near-constant inner dialogue. You miss it when it's gone:)

I just stick with my Scotch or Vodka/Fresca Nowadays:)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Telor said:
...Yeah, I would say that drugs prevent us from ever getting too serious at our table... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

-Telor

If you ever find your way out to Vancouver, you're welcome at our table...the 2/3rds figure you quote sounds familiar:)

arwink

Clockwork Golem
Low Key drinking from the players. High degrees of drinking from the characters.

Nothing seriously out of hand yet, although the game tends to get a little silly after a few beers. We have at least one player who prefers not to drink, which keeps us all under control most of the time.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
NO

(spoken in a cold, grim tone utterly devoid of any humor)

I have never inbibited alcohol during a D&D game.
I have never inbibited alcohol during any RP game.
I have never inbibited alcohol in any social setting.
I have never inbibited alcohol, in the presence of any other people.

I have never inbibited alcohol, period.

Considering how alcoholism has destroyed my father, destroyed my family, adversely affected my mother, adversely affected me, and considering the enormous amount of pain and suffering that alcohol has meant for me and mine ...

I do not think I will be inbibiting alcohol during a D&D game.

I do not think I will be inbibiting alcohol, ever.

- - -

(thumbs down)

Oh yes, where I have seen players drink, their capacity to think, make judgements, roleplay well, and get along with the other players their friends, decreased drastically.
The beginning of drinking, usually was the beginning of the end of that gaming session.

Edena_of_Neith

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads