• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alien vs Predator 2 - SPOILERS

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Spoilers welcome but my feeling: IT WAS CRAP!

Okay went in not expecting much and got even less.

Characters, who cares but yet they focus on them and there is nothing to like. Victims one and all, should have been in a SAW movie. Ex-convict hero back in town. Troubled teen brother of ex-con. Girl interest of brother. Cop who is everyone buddy but is over his head. Woman gulf war helo pilot. Kid.

Plot, seen it before; town is overrun by bad men, the aliens and a single kick ass gun fighter with no name, Predator, comes into town and dukes it out.

Who needs eggs anymore and man talk about comeing to term, full grown aliens in 15 minutes.

Just bad.

frankthedm

First Post
And I say it was VERY entertaining. Nice and gorey too. :)

Yes it formulaic. Yes, they did so many homages to previous movies this one seems like a remix. Yes, the Characters were victims, thank the gods! Much more in the vein of an 80's Horror movie, which is the way the trailer looked IMHO.

The fast gestation is the fault of the first AVP IIUC, Preds gene modded the aliens to spede up gestation is howthe fluff goes on that :\ . The plot contrivance of the pred-alien implanting multiple embryos is no worse a plot contrivance than a wrist sized nuclear bomb. Hell, even in the first Alien movie script, the alien was going to have another way to implant embryos into victims.

Darkwolf71

First Post
I liked it. It was better than the first one and that's really all I asked for.

The nods to the previous movies were nice, but sometimes felt forced. ('Get to the chopper.' *groan. Yet, at the same time it was funny.)

Plus plenty of clevage shots of Reiko Aylesworth. (I'm such a pig. :()

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Wonderful movie. We all enjoyed it, especially at the very end where they deliver the Predator weapon to Ms Yutani ('The Company' in the Alien films is 'Weyland-Yutani'); we saw Mr Weyland in the first AvP movie.

Gunslinger

First Post
Worst god-awful piece of trash I've seen all year, hands down. Couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a horror movie or an action flick, so it tried to do both (very badly). The worst dialogue I've heard since Ultraviolet; I'm not sure that any of the characters had a single line that was longer than 2 sentences. The acting was almost as bad as the dialogue. Even the fight scenes weren't very good for the most part. Predator kills some random alien in 1 shot, another alien comes at him - dead in 1 shot, rinse repeat (and it was all too poorly lit). At no point in the entire movie was there ever even the slightest hint of suspense or tension. They just kept introducing more and more nameless characters who would proceed to be slaughtered 5 second later. I knew exactly how it was going to end halfway through the movie.

Also, apparently Predators have NO peripheral vision whatsoever? <sarcasm>That's exactly what I'd want when I was designing the ultimate warrior.</sarcasm>

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gunslinger said:
The worst dialogue I've heard since Ultraviolet; I'm not sure that any of the characters had a single line that was longer than 2 sentences. The acting was almost as bad as the dialogue.

Not to get in the way of your tirade... but where in the marketing materials did they give you the expectation that the characters would even get a chance to speak before they died, much less do so well?

I don't think I saw a single commercial or poster that made any suggestion that this would be a "good movie". It was always going to be a protracted fight scene, and made no apologies for it. I figure anyone actually stopping to speak is merely a way of keeping the special effects budget down to something reasonable.

Darkwolf71

First Post
Gunslinger said:
I knew exactly how it was going to end halfway through the movie.
Funny, I knew exactly how it would end at the start of the movie. I mean they did show the bomb being dropped in the trailers. No suprise ending there.

I do agree about the poor lighting, the film was way too dark.

Gunslinger

First Post
Umbran said:
Not to get in the way of your tirade... but where in the marketing materials did they give you the expectation that the characters would even get a chance to speak before they died, much less do so well?

I don't think I saw a single commercial or poster that made any suggestion that this would be a "good movie". It was always going to be a protracted fight scene, and made no apologies for it. I figure anyone actually stopping to speak is merely a way of keeping the special effects budget down to something reasonable.

But the thing is that fights are boring if you have no reason to care who ultimately comes out on top. The fights were too few and far-between for this movie to really be about them. The movie would have 10 times better without any humans at all. Why can't AvP just be Aliens fighting Predators?

"Funny, I knew exactly how it would end at the start of the movie. I mean they did show the bomb being dropped in the trailers. No suprise ending there."

I must not have seen that trailer. :p

Felon

First Post
Gunslinger said:
But the thing is that fights are boring if you have no reason to care who ultimately comes out on top. The fights were too few and far-between for this movie to really be about them. The movie would have 10 times better without any humans at all. Why can't AvP just be Aliens fighting Predators?
???

So you want them to go from "no character having a line longer than two sentences"--which is bad--to no characters having any sentences? Both the aliens and preds are pretty uncommunicative.

And wouldn't removing the human elements take the movie more in the direction of having no reason to care who ultimately comes out on top?

Personally, I just wanna see Bill Paxton show up in an AvP sequel, ready to give them both some payback. :)

Last edited:

Gunslinger

First Post
Felon said:
???

So you want them to go from "no character having a line longer than two sentences"--which is bad--to no characters having any sentences? Both the aliens and preds are pretty uncommunicative.

And wouldn't removing the human elements take the movie more in the direction of having no reason to care who ultimately comes out on top?

Personally, I just wanna see Bill Paxton show up in an AvP sequel, ready to give them both some payback. :)

My major beef was that they attempted to give the the movie a plot and dialogue and they failed at it Hindenburg-style, so the movie probably would have been much more entertaining if they hadn't tried at all. Wasn't the selling point of the movie supposed to be the AvP fights?

I already had no reason whatsoever to care about who came out on top, so nothing they possibly could have done would have given me less incentive to care. Despite that, the fight scenes were the only portion of the movie which had any redeeming value, thus more fights would have at least provided some extra entertainment.

Remove ads