• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Aligned Magic Weapon

Pbartender

First Post
For future reference.

lottrbacchus said:
nope. i don't want 'holy' with the +2d6 holy damage. just want a 'good' sword that doesn't do any extra damage.

Let's see...

Align weapon is a 2nd level Cleric spell.

Holy smite, which is required for the 'Holy' special ability, is a 4th level Cleric spell.

Special materials that bypass specific types of DR have a wide range of values, fromas little as tens of gp for alchemical silver to 3,000 gp for adamatine weapons.

A +1 bonus to the weapon would probably be appropriate, if you want to add the ability as a houserule.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
lottrbacchus said:
nope. i don't want 'holy' with the +2d6 holy damage. just want a 'good' sword that doesn't do any extra damage.
pony.jpg

lottrbacchus

First Post
ha ha, nice! but seriously, lots of evil nasties have dr x/good. so only a holy weapon or something like sunblade overcomes this?

or do we just have to go (12000+base magic weapon cost)x.7

that is- adding align weapon then knocking 30 percent off the thing for it being alignment restricted?

IcyCool

First Post
Holy weapons, align weapon oils, align weapon spells, blessed weapon spells, class features, a feat for unarmed strikes, and natural attacks from a creature with the good subtype. I think that covers most of what defeats DR/Good.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Additionally, all inteligent magic items have allignments. The section doesn't specificly say that they overcome the appropriate allignment based DR, but being magically alligned, I'm not sure why they wouldn't. +1000 gp to a magic item will get you an allignment, an empathic ability to nudge the weilder towards its goals, and an extra spot and listen check up to 30 ft. +1000 more and it can cast bless 3 times a day.

Any DM worth their salt will, of course, make sure the weapon considers you its servant, not the other way around, but it is another option to discuss.

Voadam

Legend
Kahuna Burger said:
Additionally, all inteligent magic items have allignments. The section doesn't specificly say that they overcome the appropriate allignment based DR, but being magically alligned, I'm not sure why they wouldn't. +1000 gp to a magic item will get you an allignment, an empathic ability to nudge the weilder towards its goals, and an extra spot and listen check up to 30 ft. +1000 more and it can cast bless 3 times a day.

Any DM worth their salt will, of course, make sure the weapon considers you its servant, not the other way around, but it is another option to discuss.

Good alignment is different from the ability to overcome Good DR. LG monks who punch demons do not pierce DR Good.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Voadam said:
Good alignment is different from the ability to overcome Good DR. LG monks who punch demons do not pierce DR Good.
LG monks do not have a magicly imbued allignment. I would compare an intelligent weapon more to an allignment typed outsider.

Not to say that I am sure it would, but it would be a judgement call I would take to my DM. It IS a "good alligned weapon" afterall.

SRD said:
Some monsters are vulnerable to chaotic-, evil-, good-, or lawful-aligned weapons. When a cleric casts align weapon, affected weapons might gain one or more of these properties, and certain magic weapons have these properties as well. A creature with an alignment subtype (chaotic, evil, good, or lawful) can overcome this type of damage reduction with its natural weapons and weapons it wields as if the weapons or natural weapons had an alignment (or alignments) that match the subtype(s) of the creature.

Remove ads