• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alignment Differences?

MrApothecary

First Post
What Alignment system do you prefer? 3e or 4e?

First of all let us try to remain civil. We all have different reasons we like each alignment system, let us just calmly state them.

I like the old nine alignments. It covered a broader and more realistic range of morals and ethics.

I just don't like the new system. What is it about Chaos that prevents me from being Good or Neutral? What is it about Law that won't let me be Neutral or Evil? Don't tell mer there are no corrupt politicians, don't tell me their are no freedom fighters. Not to mention this completely screws up all the planes and outsiders. I hear things about Eladrin, what are they now? Have the Baatzeu evaporated. The Modrons have been toast since 3e, and I don't want to know what they've done to the Slaad. I've always been a pit of a Planescape fan, so I can't say this hasn't made me biased.

Tervin

First Post
I disliked the old system and I dislike the new system more. I always felt that the old system dumbed down character motivation and morals - and the new one does that more. What I do like with how 4E handles alignment is that it is now possible to ignore without any rules problems.

I like the Planescape setting too, but I don't really see the new alignment system causing any problems for it. The factions and concepts of Planescape do not need a specific alignment system to work - the new system does not make any old concepts go away, it just changes the label on them. I might be wrong though, after all I am the kind of person who prefers Planescape without any alignment system at all, just factions and affiliations...

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I vote for neither. Too simplistic for good role play. But since the 3e one is less simplistic then I guess I'll give that one the nod over 4e.

questing gm

First Post
Can I vote for d20 Modern?

:D

I have a player in my group that hates the idea of alignment to the bone.

I see alignment in a pretty mechanics term, it only matters to spells that affected Lawful, Chaotic, Good & Evil (Protection from xxx). Not sure if they still have those in 4e...

For my group, i think everyone would play unaligned in 4e instead of chaotic neutral in 3.x :cool:

Edgewood

First Post
I would say that I was never a fan of alignments to begin with. I'm not too familiar with the alignment rules in 4E as I have not read them so I couldn't really comment. I prefer a game where a person is simply who they are with elements of good and bad in their character.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
D&D alignment has always been weak.

The only reason I didn't axe it in 3.5 was because there were mechanical ramifications for doing so.

Having moved past 3.5, I sincerely doubt that alignments in the D&D sense will ever see my table again.

Jackelope King

First Post
None of the D&D alignment systems have ever really done it for me. Gimmie a system like True20's natures or Mutants & Masterminds' complications, or even d20 Modern's allegiances, and I'm a happy man.

DandD

First Post
I like the old nine alignments. It covered a broader and more realistic range of morals and ethics.
Huh? Did someone just imply alignments are somehow realistic?

Wait, someone really did... :p

Alignment systems are stupid. I hope that by 5th edition, there won't be any trace for it anymore anywhere.

AllisterH

First Post
What Alignment system do you prefer? 3e or 4e?

First of all let us try to remain civil. We all have different reasons we like each alignment system, let us just calmly state them.

I just don't like the new system. What is it about Chaos that prevents me from being Good or Neutral? What is it about Law that won't let me be Neutral or Evil? Don't tell mer there are no corrupt politicians, don't tell me their are no freedom fighters. Not to mention this completely screws up all the planes and outsiders. I hear things about Eladrin, what are they now? Have the Baatzeu evaporated. The Modrons have been toast since 3e, and I don't want to know what they've done to the Slaad. I've always been a pit of a Planescape fan, so I can't say this hasn't made me biased.

Actually, way back in the 90s, there was a pretty big discussion on rec.arts.sf.written about Moorcock, the D&D alighnment system et al.

The thing is, if you ever get a chance to read Moorcock, even though he came up with the alignment system, his writings never seemed to give the impression that he believed in it.

Remember, initially, LAW was good and CHAOS was evil, and then Moorcock tried to say that LAW/CHAOSE were one axis and EVIL/GOOD were another.

The problem is that even in Moorcck's writing, I don't think he believed it himself. What I mean is that say for example you have anarchy and chaos, the implicit response is to institute laws (order) however, if you have an heavy-handed authoritain government, the answeer ISN'T CHAOS but to change the laws.

The real confusing thing for most people I guess is distinguishing between Neutral Good and Chaotic Good along with neutral evil and lawful evil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads