• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[alignment] How long is the "step" for a Cleric?

CyberSpyder

First Post
Actually, given that the base requirement of paladins is quite stringent, (it's not 'within one step of lawful good,' it's just 'lawful good') it would make sense to me that while clerics could be within one step of their deity, paladins would have to be of the precise alignment of their deity. It reinforces the notion of being a Champion of the Cause.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
CyberSpyder said:
Actually, given that the base requirement of paladins is quite stringent, (it's not 'within one step of lawful good,' it's just 'lawful good') it would make sense to me that while clerics could be within one step of their deity, paladins would have to be of the precise alignment of their deity. It reinforces the notion of being a Champion of the Cause.

Would be alright, I think, although I think that Paladins of NG and LN clerics are quite alright. Kelemvor, for example, is a good Paladin deity, even though he's LN: He hates the undead, for they defy the nature of death, and paladin undead hunters who also protect people from the undead do really fit.

Croaker

First Post
If anyone ever read the Maztica novels in the FR line (yeah, overall pretty cheesy books, but they support my point) they depict followers of Helm at their LE best: subjugating an entire people to enforce order, ruthlessly slaughtering thousands as vengeance for a single murder, and basically being all-around non-Nice. People obey the law just as well when it is enforced by impaling and crucifixion as by trial-by-jury (and LE followers of Helm would say that the former is more effective.)

Remove ads