• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alignment restrictions on summons for clerics?

Blammoh

First Post
Does a cleric of a certain deity have alignment restrictions on what he can summon from his monster list?

For instance, I have a CN cleric of Farlangh (Neutral). Regardless of his backstory, I argued to my DM that my cleric has no strict evil or good bias. You could say he is not lawful, but he is not anti law. He is very grey in a lot of areas of morality.

This should give him the full monster summon list, I would think. Is that indeed RAW? or do I interrupt it wrong?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I believe that a CN cleric summoning a lawful creature is in fact a violation of his tenets, and therefore punishable by RAW.

However, I don't recall any lawful (or chaotic) creatures appearing on the summon lists. What do you want to summon?

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
Here are the exact words from the PHB:

Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells
A cleric can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity's (if he has one).

Summon Monster I
When you use a summoning spell to summon an air, chaotic, earth, evil, fire, good, lawful, or water creature, it is a spell of that type.​

As a CN character, you cannot cast spells that are of the Lawful type. Hence, you cannot summon LG, LN, or LE creatures.

Edit: @Tequila Sunrise - There are actually quite a few; Archons and Devils being the most common.

Last edited:

Blammoh

First Post
Indeed, and those were the ones I was looking forward to using. ;)

But I might just go for the same solution that I once read in a story hour here where a high enough level wizard planted some pseudonatural templates over said summons to avoid the alignment issue.

My cleric sees the use of summons via the summon spell as 'equally bad' as using a fireball to kill a group of monsters. He won;t deny the evilness of the specific monster or the taint it leaves on the spell, he just accepts the consequences of said action as a means to and end. (And yes, he is that ruthless. ;) )

I admit, it's in the moral dark grey area of CN, but I was very much hoping the RAW wouldn't make it impossible outright. Alas it does.

Remove ads