• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alignment - What am I?

Winternight

First Post
Hi,
I am playing a wizard and want to read your opinion what alignment I am (the wizard) .
I have assaulted some Orcs, who where trying to raid the same lost dwarfen stronghold than me. The orcs had hired two mercenaries which I spared, but pressed them into my services.
I also assaulted two strongholds, one with some ghouls and one with some drows. I attacked the ghouls’ stronghold, because they had a prisoner and tortured him to extract information out of him. I wanted the same information and I didn’t want the information to fall in the hand of those ghouls. New: I also wanted to save the prisoner alive. I would not have killed him to deny those ghouls the information.
I assaulted the drows because they insulted me and also tried to kidnap (new: and torture to death) a fellow group member. New: and they would have tried it again and again.
In both cases I let no defenders alive.
I use some of the former prisoners now as servants.

Some of my plans for the future: I want to found a kingdom in which all living and undead inhabitants must pay me their 1/3 if their income as tax.

I try to avoid killing but will not hesitate to kill if it is the easer way.

My maximes are:
The end justifies the means.
Let’s try to solve this without violence.

Any suggestion will be appreciate.
P.S.
You may have the Book of hallowed might, we use the variant alignment system from Monte Cook. (For those who haven’t: get it! It uses axes/scales for the alignment. You can be: good 2 or good 7 and lawfull 5 (new: l5g2 – would be a lawfull neutral PC; l4g8 would be a lawful good character which is more good but also heed the laws) .

Edit: major spelling correction I hope I didn’t add to many new ones. Some small changes.

Last edited:

Kodam

First Post
Evil???

HE didn't torture the prisoners. (right?) He freed them all. Some of them are his servants but not his slaves. You don't mind killing but you prefer other methods of accomplishing your goals. Your main concern is you - but you don't like to hurt others.

I'd say you're true neutral.

Thanee

First Post
Yes, definitely Neutral Evil.

Life has no value for him, altho he tries to avoid killing, it doesn't really concern him. He's selfish and self-centered. He does whatever is best for himself with no regards to someone elses needs. Freeing prisoners as a cheap source for grateful servitors is no good act! ;)

"I assaulet the drow because they insulted me"
"In both cases I let no defnder alive."
"but will not hestitate to kill if it is the easer way."
"The end justifies the means."

Bye
Thanee

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Using the BoHM system, you're Chaotic (2) Evil (5). Without the BoHM, I'd say NE (or, in 2E terminology, NE with CE tendencies).

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I'd say your Neutral. Seems like you prefer good over evil, but mostly just do whatever the moment calls for. You seem mostly out for yourself, but you don't like killing unless you have to.

Without knowing deeper reasons for why you want to found a Kingdom and have everyone pay 1/3 of their taxes to you, I hesitate call you "evil". Is it just for greed? How do you plan to recruit subjects?

clark411

First Post
NE or LE.

The evil is there because the wizard made clear that he'll kill his opposition if it's the easiest route to what he wants. So far he has only done this to undead and drow- but if it's easier to get people to pay taxes by instilling fear in them, I don't see him having any problem with flaying a few alive.

Additionally, the interests of the wizard seem to be mostly selfish. "I will raise a kingdom and tax everyone 33%." While a neutral person may want money, or have greed, neutrals rarely kill if it's the easiest way to get money. The death of all opposition in the interest of getting taxes is pretty darn evil... most nobles would parlay and make alliances/peace treaties rather than seek the death of all potential threats to income. Perhaps the wizard has some actual plans that benefit his people beyond "The benefit of living safely under my iron heel... Iron heels don't have arcane spell failure chances do they?"

The potential lawful side to him is that he justifies it with a personal code, and is doing this with the intent of establishing a semblance of order. He may crack a few skulls to do so if it's the quickest route, but it's worth it in the end.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads