• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General All About Cormyr

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
In one of the Mages and Sages interviews featuring Brian Cortijo, I heard a bit about the burghers of Waymoot all dying at the same time in the wake of the time of troubles--the idea being they were all secretly assassins. This led me to wonder about the kind, and the extent, of influence the Dark Three (Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul) have had on the Forest Kingdom over its long history.

The thought of followers of Myrkul living in plain sight in Waymoot is both intriguing and inspiring. Here's a snippet of something I wrote for "The Undercellars of the Dread Destination," an adventure found in "Eye on Cormyr #4" on the DMs Guild:

The Doombringers of Bhaal did not keep residences within the Dread Destination; they lived elsewhere in Cormyr. Most were foresters that raised large families, taught the Dark Lessons to their followers, and prayed daily to the Lord of Murder for guidance in protecting the plants and creatures living in the trees that the deity had commanded to be preserved at all costs. They and their followers were Bhaal's eyes and ears in the Forest Kingdom. Through them, Bhaal came to see all of Cormyr for what it truly was—a garden that had gone to seed. Originally tended by the mighty dragon Thauglor, the Land of the Purple Dragon had been sown from end to end with things useful to the dragon. Not merely seeds, though there were plenty of those, but rare insects, beasts, monstrosities, and ancient forms of living magic. After Thauglor's defeat, the elves of the Lithtlorn tended to the forest, not realizing the hidden potential in all they had won from the dragon. But Bhaal did. Soon after humans gained the power to rule Cormyr from the elves, the Lord of Murder saw what the Purple Dragon of old had planned, and the god smiled at the murders soon to come.

I like the idea that Myrkul had a hand in helping Cormyr to preserve its forests. :D

dazzlerdal

Explorer
Are you also considering putting this on the new (or maybe revived is a better term) EnWorld wikis?
Cant say I've heard of the wikis before. I'm already heavily invested in wordpress now (ive put a lot of time into various regions already).
I'm not averse to other systems but it would have to offer something significantly better to make me move.

dazzlerdal

Explorer
In one of the Mages and Sages interviews featuring Brian Cortijo, I heard a bit about the burghers of Waymoot all dying at the same time in the wake of the time of troubles--the idea being they were all secretly assassins. This led me to wonder about the kind, and the extent, of influence the Dark Three (Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul) have had on the Forest Kingdom over its long history.

The thought of followers of Myrkul living in plain sight in Waymoot is both intriguing and inspiring. Here's a snippet of something I wrote for "The Undercellars of the Dread Destination," an adventure found in "Eye on Cormyr #4" on the DMs Guild:

I like the idea that Myrkul had a hand in helping Cormyr to preserve its forests. :D
That's an interesting idea. The worship of malar is already put to an unexpected ise in cormyr so why not the worship of bhaal and myrkul and perhaps Bane.

Myrkuls cult / church has never been developed so there might be some element surviving here.
Given the number of monarchs slain by gorauna, I wonder perhaps if she did not have some help in murdering her relatives from hired assassins.

dazzlerdal

Explorer
Interesting that the rule of no resurrections came about in 1188 DR. The year after King Palaghard died and Pryntaler became king. Did someone try to raise Palaghard perhaps.

Back to Myrkul and Bhaal. I found that Myrkul has a shrine in Skull Crag in the Stormhorns, one of the few shrines to Myrkul in the Heartlands. That seems significant enough in itself.
Bhaal had a group of assassins in the Hullack Forest that were supposedly destroyed by Gochal and the fledgling harpers in 1022 DR, so that says to me that there has been a significant historic presence of Bhaal worshippers in Cormyr in the past, and i wouldnt be surprised if a few hadnt surprised the destruction of the group in 1022 DR and reformed the group decades later.

dazzlerdal

Explorer
Just been cataloguing all of Brian Cortijo's responses to make sure i've got all Cormyr lore.

I was going through and noted a few links between the ahasts and Elminster to the point that i think the Ahasts are all descended from Elminster. Not sure if this is common knowledge or not.

So Elminster trained Amedahast i think, likely he met Alea Dahast (she was in Myth Drannor i believe).

Filfaeril was born in 1306 and her birth prompted the return of Vangerdahast to Cormyr. Filfaeril is a descendant of Elminster.

Vangerdahast trained with Elminster.

Lots of links, why does Elminster have such an interest in the mage royals of Cormyr.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Lots of links, why does Elminster have such an interest in the mage royals of Cormyr.

No doubt because Mystra has an interest in the Mage Royals.

I believe it was Mystra who granted Vangey the power to conjure up a seat made of force by a simple act of will. (This ability revealed in "Beyond The High Road" if I remember correctly.) That way he could be made to sit and learn whenever the opportunity presented itself.

Remove ads