D&D 5E All Spells *At Will*??? (+)

Voadam

Legend
One option to balance things out a bit would be a recharge mechanic so that top level spells do not get blasted every round. Say each spell level got the closest die round up as a recharge like the monster recharge mechanic or one round per spell level slot for recharge, so one of each level spell could generally be used in a combat, with occasional spell levels being recharged for a second use in a combat.

One level slot per encounter would be the easiest to track.

It would be a top level spell every fight, but not typical current nova levels of multiple top level spells blasting one after the next.

It would be at will magic, just not at will every round of combat.

Voadam

Legend
4e rituals were at will but had a component cost and were generally out of combat stuff.

5e ritual spells are at will but have a time cost.

Given some discussions lately, I just had a thought:

What if all spells were at will, but severely curtailed to keep their power level appropriate?

Some spells might have longer casting times, or other restrictions as well, to allow them to be at will. Many spells might just not work, of course, or take some creative "restructuring".

Probably simply a half-baked idea, LOL.
This is the original concept for the warlock, IIRC. The main limitation is that you can only have one spell active at a time. The rest of the design flows from that. So, half-baked at the moment but similar tubers that others had.

Isn't this the premise of most Superhero games?
Champions/Hero System certainly defaults to this method, or at least close to it. Most powers cost END, and you do have a limit, but in general you replenish your pool from empty within 5 minutes or so. It certainly helps that there isn't a solid martial-caster distinction, and most character abilities (other than basic stats) all function the same way regardless of whether they are a 'spell' or not. Regardless, the system works fine.

Divine2021

Adventurer
If this had the impact of wiping out some of the 600 established spells and allowed for more character creativity in on the spot spell creation, that could be cool. Would have to have some well established perimeters though to make it work balanced.

Quickleaf

Legend
Given some discussions lately, I just had a thought:

What if all spells were at will, but severely curtailed to keep their power level appropriate?

Some spells might have longer casting times, or other restrictions as well, to allow them to be at will. Many spells might just not work, of course, or take some creative "restructuring".

Probably simply a half-baked idea, LOL.
It's more formative dough not even in the oven yet. ;) But do I think it could work? Yes, if you work on it.

A good example comes from Beyond the Wall RPG; when you fail a spellcasting check with a cantrip you can no longer cast that cantrip for the rest of the day. The cantrips are at-will...until they're not.

You've got options, but each carries a bundle of design challenges:
  • Rework spells to avoid alphas/peaks - massive undertaking, and may sacrifice fun
  • Longer casting times - doesn't play nice with keeping the player involved though
  • Risky side effect casting - works against current 5e play style that I see predominating
  • Charging up - requiring triggers be met in order to use powerful spells, anti-alpha striking
  • Spell burn - taking damage or other harmful effects to cast, potential loopholes

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I think it could be very interesting to play in such a game/world.

I would say that if one were to try a system like this out, first thing is spell progression tables go in the trash!

No more "2/3, 3/2/1, 4/3/3/2" or such like. You have your cantrips and, like, 2 spells you can do -at will- from first level. Learning new magics to make is a LOT slower and more complicated. Someone who could work, like, 5 different spells in a single day would be a notable/feared/awe-inspiring magic worker.

Magic-users become more about "how can I change this one (two) thing(s) I have figured out/know/learned how to do? [or just woke up able to do and I don't know why. Now I'm a 'sorcerer.'] How can I use this in a different/new/creative way [ideally, a way that benefits the party during adventure]?"

Meta-magics, for lack of a better term -or a jumping off point, would become more tied to your progression. Different alterations of previously specific spell descriptions become much more important. e.g: take your Shield spell and turn it horizontal to carry stuff in... extend/increase it into a full "dome" forceshield with a 10' radius... a few levels later, use your 5' diameter shield turned horizontal as a "hover board" that allows 50'/rd movement... etc...

It'll take a lot more work and/or "buy in" and/or rulings from the DM as to what is permissible/makes sense.

Intelligence checks, maybe, to use your spell in a different/new way...or some kind of mechanic for what some Superhero rpgs term as a "Power Stunt."

And learning additional spells becomes a lengthy process. No more "finding someone else's spellbook and transcribing things for tomorrow." More like, "Finding someone else's spellbook and working at it for a few weeks or months to figure out ONE additional magic manifestation you didn't know before." I'd say additional spells, and new tiers of spells, would be no more than every...let's say, additional 1st or 2nd tier spell at 4th level. 1st-3rd tier spell at 7th. 1st-4th tier spells at 11th... yeah, that could work.

There's definitely a way to make it work...could be fun/interesting.

Voadam

Legend
Charging up - requiring triggers be met in order to use powerful spells, anti-alpha striking
That could be interesting.

Free action at the beginning of combat to begin charging up, first round can cast a first level spell slot only, second round can cast up to a second level slot, etc. Possibly cantrip only on first round to get cantrips into the regular rotation.

It would mean combat casting higher level spells are only for later in longer combats. Shield can get accessed fairly early on. Dimension door and counterspell are only mid combat and on.

Higher level spells are more for long term buffs or utility casting outside of combat.

It would add a momentum build up for combat so that Voltron's sword is not the first round go to.

Remove ads