• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

All the Different Types of Orcs

Shade

Monster Junkie
Filby said:
Yeah, I know, I listed them as 'Deep Orcs'. They're really not the same thing at all. In fact, 'Faiths & Pantheons' mentions that the orc/ogre Orogs also exist in Faerun, so I listed both of them.

My apologies. That will teach me to skim.

Great job, Filby. These are very thorough. I'd recommend one on all the planetouched.

X-Calator

First Post
Thanks again, Filby, for your thoroughness, and the rest of you guys for pointing out things, of course. One question, what are the orcs referred to as from Kingdoms of Kalamar?

Krishnath said:
And there it is. :) Anything else? Goblinoids, perhaps?

You guys are practically reading my mind. I was originally going to just do goblins, but goblinoids would entail much more of what I'm striving for. That way we could include bugbears and all that jazz. Not sure what we'll do after that. Probably giant-kin. But onto the goblinoids! :D

Last edited:

Should all of the templates be included that make sense?

I have used lizard-orc 1/2 breeds

Fiendish Orcs

Dire Orcs

Fiendish Dire Orcs

Orc ghosts (in Darksun)

Estlor

Explorer
Filby said:
Half-orcs, orogs, and ogrillons also exist on Mystara, one would assume.

Half-orcs have appeared in previous works (in fact there is IIRC a half-orc wizard in Glantri whose mother was a ghost for a number of years and could only be put to rest when she saw her son).

The other two, as far as I know at least, have never appeared in anything from Mystara.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Hey orcsters!

Just one to point out one otherwise-unmentioned race of orcs from a very, very oblique, but official, source.

In the D&D comic mini-series, "Tempest's Gate," published by Kenzer, the first issue ("Book One: Born of Fire") has a new orc subrace, the ogh, on the inside of the back cover. Note that this is native to Oerth, the World of Greyhawk.

I hope this isn't breaking any rules, but here are the (3E) stats:

OGH
Medium-Size Humanoid (Orc)
Hit Dice:
1d8 (6 hp)
Initiative: +1 Dex
Speed: 30 ft. (leather armor); base 30 ft.
AC: 13 (+1 Dex, +2 leather armor)
Attacks: Greataxe +3 melee; or javelin +1 ranged
Damage: Greataxe 1d12+3; or javelin 1d6+1
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will -2
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 11, Init 7, Wis 6, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +2
Feats: Alertness
Climate/Terrain: Mountainous land or underground
Organization: Gang (2-4) squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-lvel sergeants and 1 leader or 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 150% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Advancement: By character class

Ogh are a particular subrace of orc that are found primarily in the Barrier Peaks. In general, oghs look like primitive orcs with gray-green skin, hunched shoulders, low foreheads, and very pronounced lower canines. They have large pupine ears, small white eyes with tiny pupils, and they tend to dress in rags or whatever pieces of armor they can scavenge. Oghs are often hairless.

They spend ost of their time raiding, planning raids, or thinking about raids. Oghs are savage, vicious killers who care nothing for fine arts, crafts or agriculture. They live only to please themselves. An ogh's main pleasure comes from wreaking savage death and destruction upon anyone they encounter. Ogh live from day to day, making no provision for the future. When hungry, they steal or kill; when tired, they sleep. Their language can be understood by anyone who speaks Orc. Oghs may also speak Goblin or Giant as well.

Oghs are impressed by shows of power, and tend to be easily manipulated by powerful evil wizards and sorcerers. Oghs follow these masters blindly, obeying their commands with little regard for personal safety. Strangely, it is the rare ogh who thinks of betraying his master.

In other respects, ogh society resembles that of other orcs.

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I have a few orc variations indexed that I haven't yet seen mentioned:

- Boogin (a Realms Orc variant that first appeared in the 'Shadowdale' booklet of the 2E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and is updated in Eric L. Boyd's Bestiary of the Realms, Volume 1, on p106)
- Tel-Amhothlan (these are elf/orc crossbreeds unique to the Kingdoms of Kalamar, and can be found on page 207 of Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene)
- Moonorc (this apparently appears in Dungeon #25, but I don't have that issue, so I can't tell you anything more than that)

Also, Dragon #44 has a variety of half-orcs on page 17:
- Orc-Bugbear
- Orc-Gnoll
- Orc-Goblin
- Orc-Hobgoblin
- Orc-Kobold
- Orc-Ogre

Stebie9173

First Post
There is also the Sand Orc from White Dwarf. Around about issue 60-70, I think..

Sigurd... Snaga was an orcish epithet meaning "slave", I believe. It was applied to any lesser race and also to orcs. The differences between Tolkien's orcs/goblins were rather blurred, except for the Uruk-Hai of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads