• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Allies and you

Space Coyote

First Post
New to the 4th edition and am making a 1st level Paladin and just need a few clarifications. If these questions have been answered elsewhere then pointing me in that direction would be good too.

In the rules it states under the heading of "Target" that if a power specifies "ally or allies" then you cannot have that power affect you. But what about the Effect section of a power?

For example, with Paladin's Judgment the "Target" is 1 Creature, but the "Effect" states that "One ally" can spend a healing surge. Does this mean that I can include myself as an 'ally' for determining who gets the Effect? Or does it still follow the rule outlined under "Target", that ally/allies cannot include myself.

Next, Lay on Hands: Can I use this on myself? The target states "1 creature", but the wording is odd because it says that "You spend a healing surge, but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points, as if it had spent a healing surge."

I think that the wording indicates that I can use the power on myself (because the target does not indicate ally/allies), and the overall effect is that I get the healing as per a healing surge, at the cost of one healing surge. Is that right?

Stuntman

First Post
You do not count as your own ally, so any power that affects an ally cannot affect yourself. It does not matter what part of the power affects one of your allies. It will not affect you.

Lay on Hands affects a creature and you are a creature, so you can use it on yourself.

Remove ads