• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alright WotC, fess up...who came up with "Emerald Frost"?

Klaus

First Post
Mixing Cold and Acid is a really weird combo anyway. One freezes you up, the other dissolves you. Sound pretty antagonistic to me. Fire + Acid, sure. But Cold + Acid?

That being said, I liked "Iron Sigil" and "Golden Wyvern". The first is an awesome battlemage school, whereas the other is a nifty paladin order.

JamesP

First Post
So in summary...

Actual real-world applications, latinised naming traditions and colours of imaginary "energy types" aside, I think we can all agree that

ice + acid = stupid.

Seriously, that sort of spell belongs in a campaign with mimics, phantom fungus and Robert Jordan fans.

EDIT: Sorry, that was un-called for. I just imagined how I would feel if someone had written that about Frank Herbert fans. Sorry, folks!

Last edited:

jasin

Explorer
Baduin said:
The Order of Seekers for Truth and Penitence
Group of Seventeen
These are the torturers and the rulers of the Ascians from Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.

Septentrions
Eclectics
Venefices
These sound vaguely Wolfeish, but this is just a hunch.

Blue Men
Green Men
... of Burroughs' Mars? Not sure about the Blue, really; I've only read A Princess of Mars, which has just Green and Red.

Green Legion of Valdaran the Just
Vance's witch hunter ranger types, from T'sain. (Or was it T'sais?)

The Instrumentality of Mankind
From the stories of Cordwainer Smith.

jasin

Explorer
Dr. Awkward said:
Diverse Tendency
Fat Sun
Finally We Can See
Three Quills
The political parties in China Mieville's New Crobuzon. I probably couldn't place the other three, but Fat Sun is unmistakable.

jasin

Explorer
Klaus said:
Mixing Cold and Acid is a really weird combo anyway. One freezes you up, the other dissolves you. Sound pretty antagonistic to me. Fire + Acid, sure. But Cold + Acid?
Both acid and ice are forms of water? Not really, in the case of acid, of course, but for a (pseudo-)medieval mind, it might seem so.

Eh. I still don't like it. :\

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Please don't embed giant images that force the page into side-scrolling.
Hey, some of us have widescreens and can view it just fine... but yeah, best to stick to the LCD (mathematics reference and pun preceding).

All I can say is that I agree with AffableVagrant and others; the names just sound cheesified to me.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

teach

First Post
I agree with those who don't like the name emerald frost. I have to admit, upon opening up my 3.5 PHB when I first bought it (didn't play 3.0), I was surprised to find named dieties in the book. I know they are traditional deities, but I thought it would have fit better in the DMG. Personally, I'd like as much of the PHB to be as generic as possible, and allow the players/DM to add names like emerald frost or Kord later. But who knows what the PHB will hold when they finally finish their playtesting and design.

teach said:
I agree with those who don't like the name emerald frost. I have to admit, upon opening up my 3.5 PHB when I first bought it (didn't play 3.0), I was surprised to find named dieties in the book. I know they are traditional deities, but I thought it would have fit better in the DMG. Personally, I'd like as much of the PHB to be as generic as possible, and allow the players/DM to add names like emerald frost or Kord later. But who knows what the PHB will hold when they finally finish their playtesting and design.

So a player of a religous character needs a copy of the DMG just to create their character?

"Ummmm I worship the God of Knowledge. I don't know his name, or what else he stands for, but that's what my new cleric worships."

"But the god of knowledge in the DMG is EVIL! You can't worship him!"

"Oh, I don't own the DMG"

Doesn't work for me.

Remove ads