• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Altar of Bones, Robe of Undead Artifact Questions

Lyrad8791

First Post
So recently I was talking with a friend of mine about controlling undead. We don't see eye to eye on some things about it so I brought up an artifact (minor version by what I read) that I had read about that I would love to get my hands on eventually when/if I ever played an undead controlling character.

Anyway, to the point, I would love to show him where I read it from so we can go over the details of the items and see about incorporating them into a possible campaign adventure in the future. Problem is I can't remember the name of the book I had read it in, nor can I recall the names of the items in question. So after scouring the internet for a good amount of time and coming up with nothing I came here in the hopes that someone else might recognize it by a quick description and let me know where I might find the book or items in question and as to what edition they are from.

The main Artifact in question were the robes of a necromancer. The only power that I can recall them having was the ability to surpass your HD control limit for undead. No other abilities that I can recall. They were made second in a group of two Artifacts created by this necromancer. This one in fact to take control of the undead created by the other.

The other Artifact was a sort of Altar made out of a large single bone. I believe it was the bone of a giant or a dragon, either way it was a single bone. The effects were thus, every hour it would raise skeletons from nearby bones. They would then gather more bones within a certain range, I believe which was 10 miles or something. They would then take these bones to the alter and proceed to construct a tower around the Altar itself. The skeletons would rob graveyards and attack villages when they run out of bones. Eventually, once all the bones within its range were built into the tower it would expand its range to a larger radius and send out bands of skeletons to attack towns and get even more bones and corpses. If at any time the Altar was attacked it could animate more skeletons from the tower itself, not discriminating about size and such but making a general skeleton to do its bidding to protect itself. Normally these were humanoid for the most part, rarely using bones of animals unless of a proper size.

If someone were to pool enough of their own blood on the Altar the Altar would recognize them as its current "Master" and would ignore their presence with the skeletons. They would be able to come and go and take control of up to 5 Skeletons per day or something. The Altar could only ever have one master at a time, and didn't recognize any others as allies in the case of not attacking. Either way, the necromancer made the robe in order to take full advantage of the Altar that he had made, thus eliminating the cap to his HD pool for controlling undead.

I believe that this was either in a book about Artifacts or adventures and was possibly of Mongoose or Green Ronin origin. I would love to know if anyone recognizes what I have put here and knows where I might find more out about these items as they could add a lot to a campaign and would be fun to play around with, but I would need more info then what I recall in order to use them.

Thanks for reading and posting if you have any information on these items.

Remove ads