• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alter Self - suggested uses

JoeBlank

Explorer
Playing a sorcerer for the first time, a gnome starting at 4th level. I want him to be versatile, and I have heard all the raves about Alter Self. I want to use this as my 2d level spell. Yes, I know there may be some better choices, but this one fits the character. Plus, he will be using up some of his 2d level castings to metamagic 1st level spells. Mainly I am interested in creative responses to question 1, so 2 and 3 are for extra credit. Thanks for your help.

1. Other than the obvious wings, gills, and disguises, what other uses do you suggest for Alter Self?

2. And a side question, as long as he is growing gills why wouldn't he throw in some webbed hands and feet to get a little better swim speed? This does not seem to be beyond the scope of the spell, to me at least. Any opinions on this use?

3. Finally, not to ramble too much, but I did note that the poor flight usage from growing wings means that he can not hover. Therefore he has to move some each round (half his speed, so 15' minimum), and would not be able to use metamagic, or other spells with extended casting times. Of course, he could choose to fall, planning ahead by being very high up and being prepared to make a risky Reflex save to pull out of freefall. Am I interpreting this correctly?

smetzger

Explorer
JoeBlank said:

3. Finally, not to ramble too much, but I did note that the poor flight usage from growing wings means that he can not hover. Therefore he has to move some each round (half his speed, so 15' minimum), and would not be able to use metamagic, or other spells with extended casting times. Of course, he could choose to fall, planning ahead by being very high up and being prepared to make a risky Reflex save to pull out of freefall. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Sounds good.

Tail - for a Bonus to Balance checks.

My fav. is using it to look like Darth Maul, good way to intimidate those of evil bent into following you :)

Zhure

First Post
My sorcerer with Alter Self used a single form all the time. It had wings, a tail, extra arms, gills, and horns (for attacks). Darn demon blood.

He never used it for disguise, lol.

Antikinesis

First Post
Zhure said:
My sorcerer with Alter Self used a single form all the time. It had wings, a tail, extra arms, gills, and horns (for attacks). Darn demon blood.

He never used it for disguise, lol.
From the SRD:
The character's attack rolls, natural armor bonus, and saves do not change. The spell does not confer special abilities, attack forms, defenses, ability scores, or mannerisms of the chosen form.
I think the "horns (for attacks)" aren't really supported by this spell.

Anyone wanna contribute their thoughts on using Alter Self to grant Reach (10-ft)?

-AK

Zerovoid

First Post
Antikinesis said:

From the SRD:
I think the "horns (for attacks)" aren't really supported by this spell.

Anyone wanna contribute their thoughts on using Alter Self to grant Reach (10-ft)?

-AK

I want to know if you can grow two extra arms and fight with four weapons?

Iku Rex

Explorer
Some old Sage answers on alter self:

Q: Alter Self: "Your body can undergo a limited physical transformation, [...]. If the form selected has wing you can fly at a speed of 30 ft with poor maneuverability. If the form has gill you can breathe underwater." Are the possible changes listed (extra limbs, wings, gills) the only alterations possible?

A: No, they are only examples.

Q: What else is possible? [I suggested Scent, Low-light vision, Darkvision or Blindsightis]

A: The entire sample list shown above is right out. You could, however, give yourself fins, fur, fangs, or claws, or a tail.

Before you ask:
fins: swim speed 30
claw damage 1d4
bite damage 1d4
tail slam damage 1d3 (+2 climb and balance)

Q: Can you have more than one change in effect at the same time (like wings and gills)?

A: Yes.

Q: Do you have to take the form of a specific creature or are the changes made to "your own" body?

A: You can just change your own body.

Q: Can you make more than one alteration (wings and gills and claws etc.) each time you cast the spell?

A: No, once change at a time.

diaglo

Adventurer
only problems with the changes much like the wings example. you don't gain complete prof. just b/c you have the change. so with wings you can fly. but you are the worst flyer possible. so you can't hover.

same with adding a tail. and other weapon like abilities. claws, fangs, horns, whatever....it doesn't give you prof with them. or multiattack with multiple arms.

remember too it won't replace more powerful spells:

water breathing is a 3rd lvl spell with 2hrs/lvl duration. fly is 3rd lvl with 10min/lvl duration. alter self is a 2nd lvl spell with 10min/lvl duration

so keep that in mind when you try and make your alterations.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Many thanks to all who have responded. I should have done this in the first place, so for easy reference:

Alter Self
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: The character
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
The character can alter the character's appearance and form-including clothing and equipment-to appear taller or shorter, thin, fat, or in between. The assumed form must be corporeal. The character's body can undergo a limited physical transmutation, including adding or subtracting one or two limbs, and the character's weight can be changed up to one-half. If the form selected has wings, the character can fly at a speed of 30 feet with poor maneuverability. If the form has gills, the character can breathe underwater.
The character's attack rolls, natural armor bonus, and saves do not change. The spell does not confer special abilities, attack forms, defenses, ability scores, or mannerisms of the chosen form. Once the new form is chosen, it remains for the duration of the spell. If the character is slain, the character automatically returns to the character's normal form.
If the character uses this spell to create a disguise, the character gets a +10 bonus on the character's Disguise check.

Iku Rex, thanks for the Sage advice. Was this from an FAQ or direct email correspondence between you and the Sage? Once again, his advice has helped and confused me at the same time. I liked his example for swim speed, and had assumed it would be similar to flight. Then he gives examples of attack forms, despite the spell description's prohibition against them. Not sure what to make of this, but doubt my little gnome will be wanting to claw and bite very often.

Glad to see he clarified that you can have more than one change in effect at a time (such as gills and wings, I would rather stick with a theme and take gills and fins, or wings and claws). I think he misunderstood your last question, or maybe I did at first. His response seems to contradict the "more than one change at a time" ruling, but I am understanding it to mean pick one form, with multiple effects if you like, and stick with it for the duration of the spell.

I can now see taking any form of movement, including burrow, climb, fly, or swim. Am I missing any? For my purposes, I'd like to come up with an extra change that fits the theme for each type of movement, such as swim and gills. Again, I would rather avoid taking claws or bite attacks, but this could be handy in rare situations. Any suggestions for extra effects to go with fly, climb and burrow?

smetzger, I like your suggestion of intimidating forms, could be handy.

diaglo, I agree with you that the modes of movement are inferior, but I think it will be versatile to have them all available, even in limited forms. Not too worried about extra limbs or claws and such, as a gnome sorcerer ought to stay out of melee anyway. I also agree that, for balance, the Alteration spell should not be usable to take the place of other spells. Instead, it can be a less powerful, shorter duration version of other spells, such as wings v. the Fly spell.

[aside to diaglo: you probably realize that I am talking about my character for Olgar's game, which I am joining starting this Sunday, right?]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads