• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alter Self suggestions?

IcyCool

First Post
So, I'll be playing a human transmuter 4/Wizard of High Sorcery(Red) 1 in an upcoming dragonlance game. Does anyone have any suggestions on some good Alter Self forms?

noeuphoria

First Post
Lizardfolk and troglodyte are both good for nat armor bonus. Locanth gives decent (+3) natural armor, and a swim speed of 60ft. Good for underwater.

foxwick

First Post
Here's highlights from a list I made for the Druid's A Thousand Faces, which is essentially the Alter Self spell.

Bugbear: +3 Natural armour; +4 Move Silently
Lizardfolk: +5 Natural armour; Natural attacks; +4 Balance/Jump/Swim
Troglodyte: +6 Natural armour; Natural attacks; Multiattack; +4 Hide
Snow Goblin (Frostburn): Small; +1 Natural armour; +4 Intimidate/Move Silently; +8 Climb; 20 ft Climb speed
Goblin: Small; +4 Move Silently/Ride

With Dragonlance you'll also have plenty of +2's and +1's possible from the base races - and don't forget Minotaur, with +2 Natural armour; Natural attack; +2 Intimidate/Swim/Use Rope.

IcyCool

First Post
Thanks Foxwick!

Gargoyle qualifies as well, doesn't it?

+4 natural armor, natural attacks, fly speed, +2 listen and spot, +2(+8 against stone) hide.

foxwick

First Post
Sometimes you can treat such things as fulfilling prerequisites for other feats - kind of a "close enough", but that's not the same as saying you have the feat.

And in this circumstance (Alter Self), I would say no. Remember - racial physical qualities - not racial qualities that are a result of pervasive and common training for the race. Yes, I know, some racial skill bonuses blur this distinction.

gabrion

First Post
If you can use serpent kingdoms from FR, I suggest the form of a tren. +8 natural armor, +4 hide, some natural attacks, and swim speed 40 ft.

Also, if you can handle the slow movement rate, I think crucian (miniature's handbook) has a +8 natural armor.

Remove ads