• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alter Self

Vraister

First Post
Hello,

can you with 3.0 Alter Self add an extra arm to your character and cast spells with this arm while you are holding a shield and a weapon?

Vraister

Li Shenron

Legend
Mah... 3.0 doesn't say much about it, and even the 3.5 version doesn't strictly forbid it. If you get wings you can fly, if you get gills you can breathe underwater, I don't see much reasons why if you get an extra hand you shouldn't be able to cast spells.

Thanee

First Post
Well, extrapolating from the no more beneficial multilimb attacks rule, I would have to say no.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
Thanee said:
Well, extrapolating from the no more beneficial multilimb attacks rule, I would have to say no.

I imagine that would be a safe ruling that everyone will agree about.

However I wouldn't mind too much letting him cast with the third hand. After all, he cannot use the extra hand to get more attacks, he cannot use it to carry a second shield (depending on the ruling again, but I think 2 shields do not stack even in 3.0), and most importantly he can easily circumvent the weapon+shield encumbrance to casting by moving the weapon to the shield's hand and back, unless the shield is a large shield.

At the same time, I wonder what spellcaster casts Alter Self and uses shields without ASF, because I don't know any :p

I would be more concerned about the fact that with 3 hands you can have 3 rings...

sledged

First Post
Li Shenron said:
I would be more concerned about the fact that with 3 hands you can have 3 rings...
Even multi-limbed creatures are limited to two rings. There is, however, a feat in Savage Species that let's multi-limbed creatures exceed the normal limitations.

Vraister

First Post
I thought somebody would say the thing with multilimb attack rule.
What do you say about not being able to use the weapon for an attack of opportunity until the next round? So my character would just hold the weapon.
@Li Shenron: Switching the weapon to the shield hand is a move action for my GM.
The caster is a 13 lvl druid.

Vraister

Remove ads