• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

alternate 3E dual-classing idea...

Lilaxe

Explorer
Has anyone put forward any rules/ideas on a 1E version of dual-classing but for 3E?

i.e. Fighter/Magic-User starts at levels 1/1, splitting xp between the classes and each class needing level 2 xp before they hit 2/2. HPs would be 1/2 of the two HDs rolled at the same time (i.e. 1d10 + 1d4/2).

the split xp would be fine as all classes use the same xp chart in 3E, but it would basically double the xp needed to level up - allowing single classes characters to hit level 2 3 and then 4 as the dual classed hits 2/2.

any thoughts?

Lilaxe

Explorer

I had not seen that before. But it appears overly powerful. 2 classes at each level is not what I'm thinking. Each class would have to earn the xp to level up, and xp would be divided like original multi-class characters between the 2, so that although the class is stronger, it levels up much slower compared to single class.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
any thoughts?

My basic thought is that this means you have a character with 1st level hit points walking around with 3rd level characters.

You don't say how you're going to deal with hit points going forwards, but if you continue that roll both, take half, then you'll have a characters with 2nd level hit points walking around with 4th level characters, and so on - in general you'd have about half the hit points of everyone else, though you had all the XP. I don't think that works well.

Nebten

First Post
Its a starting point. An easy way to get around that would be that it would cost 1.5 to twice as much XP to get to the next level, like in your OP. So you would need 2000 XP to get to level 2 and 6000 XP to get to level 3. Of course, this means that single class PCs are soon going to out level you, but then again this is how it was in AD&D.

ashockney

First Post
i.e. Fighter/Magic-User starts at levels 1/1, splitting xp between the classes and each class needing level 2 xp before they hit 2/2. HPs would be 1/2 of the two HDs rolled at the same time (i.e. 1d10 + 1d4/2).

the split xp would be fine as all classes use the same xp chart in 3E, but it would basically double the xp needed to level up - allowing single classes characters to hit level 2 3 and then 4 as the dual classed hits 2/2.

any thoughts?

Lilaxe, based upon your initial assertion, I believe the existing dual classing capabilities of the game would work exactly as you describe. A dwarf fighter/cleric, with the only notable exception at 1st level, when they would be all fighter or all cleric, but with an approrpirate feat allocation, you could still play and feel like a "figther/cleric" from the word go. At 20th level you would be a 10 Fighter/10 Cleric (exactly as you describe), and would look and feel different from straight fighter builds and straight cleric builds. What's fun about the 3e version is that the character can truly "evolve" through their career and may choose to over-specialize in one side or the other, ending up a 13 Cleric / 7 Fighter or vice-versa, or go a completely different direction, like Hammer of Moradin. The bigger challenge with 3e dual/multi classing has been that when you "fall behind" your peers in any category, it's difficult to pick up the slack. For example, a 12th level party with a 6th level cleric caster will have real difficulty "keeping up" with the healing required, the powerful magics that need dispelled, and removing/slowing the powerful conditional effects that villians will have at 12th level - ability drains, level drains, poisons, and disease.

If your assertion was that by 20th level, the dwarven fighter/cleric would actually be 16/16, but with "half hit point" dice and "toned down" but "full power" abilities from both classes, that is interesting, but very challenging to execute and balance effectively. The beauty of the 3e system is the inherent balance built into it,and the general availability for everyone to participate/benefit. If the "only" limit is XP, but the fight/cleric can churn and burn through xp faster because of their superior abilities (a distinctly 1e flavor), then this disrupts that inherent balance built into 3e, and really contradicts the recommended xp system (even flow to all players based upon accomplishments) established in the 3e DMG. This xp basis is also a "conceit" to the game, due to the dramatically increased complexity and challenge built into the scale of the game. The difference between 3rd level and 9th level PC's in 1e (original) was pretty minor, and these PC's could interact meaningfully in a set of challenges together. The difference between 3rd and 9th in 3e is monumental, and the 3rd level PC is likely to have the floor wiped with EL9, 10, and 11 encounters, while the 9th level PC could single-handedly cake walk EL 3, 4, 5 encounters.

Garmorn

Explorer
I had not seen that before. But it appears overly powerful. 2 classes at each level is not what I'm thinking. Each class would have to earn the xp to level up, and xp would be divided like original multi-class characters between the 2, so that although the class is stronger, it levels up much slower compared to single class.

It only gives about a 10 to 15% boost in power. The action limitation keeps the party from being more powerful. What is does do is to give the party a lot more staying power over a long combat and/or the ability to have more encounters per day.

I also helps but does not end the problem of small parties.

Remove ads