• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Bard

Midnight Dawns

First Post
I am looking for variant rules for a bard that does not learn magic. I seem to recall having seen this before. Does anyone else know anything about this? If not does anyone have suggestions for how to handle a no-magic bard?

Darklone

Minstrel IIRC.... some mongoose publishing book IIRC. Then there's the UA bard. And one of the Complete books has spell less Rangers, paladins and bards.

two

First Post
bard minus spellcasting

Wow, that's a tough one.

I'm not sure what I would do; Bard's spell casting is at full caster an while topping off at 6, and has lot of very nice spells.

Strip them away...and I'd have to replace it with a lot.

Bard without Spells is a big hit.

Up skills to 8. Increase inspire courage bonus by one (starting at +2/+2). Allow Ch to damage when using a weapon...I am not sure. That's a tough one.

Allow CH to AC? You gotta throw the bard a bone or two here.

Midnight Dawns

First Post
Well thanks for the help. I will look in the complete books and see what I can find. In the meantime anyone with suggestions please post, they would be appreciated.

Machiavelli

First Post
Okay, the bard's spells require actions to use. Replace them with another ability that requires actions to use. Charisma-to-AC and 8+Int skill points (and similar ideas) may not be over-powering, but they are fundamentally different from spellcasting, in that they give continuous bonuses, not activated bonuses.

two

First Post
Machiavelli said:
Okay, the bard's spells require actions to use. Replace them with another ability that requires actions to use. Charisma-to-AC and 8+Int skill points (and similar ideas) may not be over-powering, but they are fundamentally different from spellcasting, in that they give continuous bonuses, not activated bonuses.

Well, ok, what?

A bunch of spell-like abilities, which are just like... spells...?

Some combat options that require a round to activate? Like what?

How do you retain the bard flavor?

There are not a lot of actions the bard can take in combat except those linked to bardic music. You could create a magical-type music for the bard... but this just is another way to introduce spells...

I really am at a bit of a loss here.

I think you are suggesting a bunch of standard action abilities, probably linked to bardic music... like what?

I would suggest maybe giving them a new bardic standard ability per level, like bardic music which could be marged with "inspire courage" to create different effects - much like spells, but without the spell overhead...?

1) charm person
2) shatter
3) shout
4) etc?

?? kinda lame I think

two

First Post
Skald

Thinking about it more, I'd suggest just making the bard more "skald-like."

Get rid of spellcasting and give the Bard martial weapons and full BAB.

That way you have a musical fighter-type with low HD and a full BAB; I like it.

Compares pretty closely to the Ranger.

Artoomis

First Post
I suggest a peak at some Bard prestige classes. IIRC, at least one does not have spell progression, and that may serve as a model to draw from.

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
One possible approach is to go with a skills-based character. Other than losing spells, change nothing except:

Give 8 (or maybe even 10!!) skill points per level.

At certain points give them Rogue-like take 10 abilities. Maybe at level 5 and 10, or even 5, 10 and 15.

Other skill bonuses of one type or another might be appropriate, too.

Possibly some free skill-based feats. Maybe even something unique.

Let them take 10 on some skills that do not allow take 10 normally.

Things like that.

I think Complete Adventurer has a skill-based prestige class - that's another possible place to go for inspiration.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads