• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Class Features

Do you allow Alternate Class Features?

• Yes, in 90%+ of cases

Votes: 67 54.9%
  • Sometimes 25%-90% (Or 89 if you want to be precise)

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • Rarely 1-25% (24, see above)

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • No I do not

Votes: 7 5.7%

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I am curious, how many people use the Alternate class featrue from:

Dragon, PHBII, Complete Mage and more?

Seems like they are popping up like mushrooms. Do we need them? I am interested in your ideas

Deng

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
I am curious, how many people use the Alternate class featrue from:

PHBII

In our group there are now two characters using alternate class features from the PHBII

The druid is using the Spontaneous Fast Heal ability (and it's only been used for less than one adventure and is already really useful) although it doesn't say if it's a spell like or supernatural ability (our DM has ruled spell like)

My cleric has chosen the spontaneous casting of a domain instead of inflicts (he's evil :] ) and I can see this is much better than spontaneous inflicts for my character, although YMMV

I personally like them, it gives even more variety without any real power change.

Archade

Azer Paladin
I've got to be honest, I'm not a big fan of them. They water down the base classes too much, of which there are too many.

That being said, if one of my players really wanted an alternate class feature, I'd suggest to build a feat based on that feature, and I'd probably be just fine with that.

delericho

Legend
I voted "Sometimes", but that's not really accurate. The truth is that I haven't ever used the so far, but I'm not averse to them on principle.

However, if I were to use an alternate class feature, it would take the form of a modification to the class rather than something a player would choose for his particular character.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Assuming this includes variants of existing character classes (such as the variant bard and sorcerer of the Complete Book of Eldritch Might), yes, I sometimes do. I really like variant class features. The more options the merrier.

Wombat

First Post
I use my own systems, not those from other people's books. It's easy enough to create much needed variants for classes.

Voadam

Legend
I've used variants from PHII, UA, and Complete Warrior (spell less paladin variant). I'm not aware of any from the few dragons I have and I don't have Complete Mage.

I think the variant options are great and like having the choices.

sirwmholder

First Post
We allow and encourage this... it's no fun playing a character that is not how you envisioned 'em. Mostly it is done on a case by case basis so things do not get out of hand. It's important that each character takes abilities that give them some defining characteristic in the game without stealing all of the spotlight. We tend to have roleplayers and not munchkins so variety is welcome in our games.

Thank you for your time,
Wm. Holder

Remove ads