Pathfinder 2E alternate Crafting rules (items from the Treasure chapter)

Philip Benz

A Dragontooth Grognard
If I have understood correctly, you can craft anything up to your level in a week, in this alternate system. Multiple items as long as they total to your level.

I didn't see anything about batches for potions or whatever.

Why is it always a week? Shouldn't something take longer, the higher level it is?

CapnZapp

Legend
If I have understood correctly, you can craft anything up to your level in a week, in this alternate system. Multiple items as long as they total to your level.
Correct.

I didn't see anything about batches for potions or whatever.
"You get four consumables in place of one permanent item."

(Not my rule, just sticking to what Paizo decided)

Why is it always a week? Shouldn't something take longer, the higher level it is?
It kind of does :)

A level 7 crafter will be able to craft a first level item in just a day (=they can craft seven L1 items in one week), while a seventh level item takes a whole week. So something does take longer, the higher level it is! (Then when the character reaches level 14, that same level 7 item only takes half a week to craft = two L7 items in one week).

Thank you for your feedback, Philip, even if I realize this rule might not be for someone more concerned about realism and verisimilitude! My main concern here is ease of use and playability. The "downtime currency" used by Earn Income and every other downtime-related rule is "one week" so I consider it a benefit that Crafting uses that unit of currency. I also want Crafting to remain useful even in campaigns where you only have a few short weeks of downtime here and there. (y)

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
In short, I prefer a rule that hands out the discount "early" rather than one where the discount only appears where downtime is plentiful.

That is, if and when the campaign features a long stretch of downtime, the issue at the oppoiste end of the spectrum - the crafter running out of money - that is the lesser problem.

Why? Because that's not a problem - even when you're out of money, you can still Earn Income just like the others!

What this means is that the discount doesn't only appear at the whims of the particular campaign. As long as there is a week of downtime here and there, that's enough for the crafter to gain the listed benefit.

Since this benefit (roughly 20% off, give or take) already applies (just obscured), it isn't unbalanced. Just clearer and more upfront.

(Based on CaptainMorgan's summary of Age of Ashes, a character does benefit from crafting in practice. He concluded a mid to high character could make thousands of gp, which very roughly corresponds to 20% off of an item appropriate at that level)

Remove ads