• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Fantasy setting

tecnodemon

First Post
Ok since I have the Scifi/cybrepunkish thread going, I have seperate game idea I have been thinking of and need feedback and help. The alternate game(s) I have bee thinking is different type of fanatsy game but not the typical medieval world. A different time era like Pulp or western or victorian/steampunkish campaign.

I know there is Iron Kingdoms, Forbbin kingdoms, D20 Deadlands and Ravenloft but any other settings out there with a unique feel? No standard wild west setting two of my group members said no already. I know they looking forward to League of Extranorindary Men movie to come out and that is where I got the idea for my second/alternate game idea.

Any help? Thanks..

Gospog

First Post
Tecnodemon,

What exactly are you asking for?

Do you want a list of alternate settings? Do they all need to be D20?

What are your requirements? You've named a bunch of good games already.

Or, if you want feedback on this idea you mentioned, you'll have to tell us more about it.

Steampunk type settings are really great and there are quite a few resources for them "out there".

So tell us what you need, I'm sure one of us can help! :)

Lugh

First Post
One of the coolest alternate fantasy settings I've seen is Providence. It was originally published by XID Creative, then there were some various changes. I know that it is now handled by Wizard's Attic. It is not d20, but the concepts would be easy to port over using M&M or some other supers ruleset.

The basic idea is fantasy, plus supers. You have "normal" people (normal being relative, as the standard race is avian, and has some degree of wings). You have mages. And then you have people who were born with a "shard" of magic, that effectively gives them super powers. It's extremely cool.

The world of Providence is very well done. I highly recommend picking it up. The system is not great. I rank it as adequate. It works, but it's nothing that I would go to the effort of converting to another setting. But the depth and richness of the world, along with accompanying fiction (and art!), is worth the money. As such, it makes for a perfect source to plunder for a very different d20 campaign.

tecnodemon

First Post
Gospog said:
Tecnodemon,

What exactly are you asking for?

Do you want a list of alternate settings? Do they all need to be D20?

What are your requirements? You've named a bunch of good games already.

Or, if you want feedback on this idea you mentioned, you'll have to tell us more about it.

Steampunk type settings are really great and there are quite a few resources for them "out there".

So tell us what you need, I'm sure one of us can help! :)

I am looking for a good two to three mix of genres in a roleplaying game It does not have to a D20 system, but it must more books than just the core-rules.
Lets say for examples: Cyberpunk meets fantasy (D&D type), pulp (1930's) meets fantasy, to give you an idea. Hope this help

Gospog

First Post
Sure, that clears things up a lot!

Have you ever played TORG? It mixes all of the genres you mentioned, and does it really well. I ran a two-year campaign of it, and still get to play on occasion.

And seeing as West End Games has gone bankrupt, and come back etc... I've found that you can get TORG books DIRT cheap. I got the lat one I bought for $3.00. Not too shabby.

Of course, it's not D20. If you do want to go the D20 route, I'd reccomend using D20 Modern, and "plugging in" the sorts of FX you want.

I haven't gotten to my Steampunk-style Shadow Chasers game yet, but this is the approach I plan on taking.

Good luck and have fun!
:cool:

tecnodemon

First Post
problem with TORG, Its hard to find books where I live and they are not printing the game anymore. There is however, that Battlefield Press is doing something similar to TORG. I have to wait on that.

Severion

First Post
Another thing you could do, going the D20 route, is take the Perpetrated Press books "Arsenal" and "Factory", and insert them into whatever setting you have available. They mix fantasy and Sci-fi pretty well added to D20Mod and you have 3 genres.

Remove ads