• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate History Middle Earth Campaign (3.5 SRD Houseruled)

Aegir

First Post
Time: Saturdays, 10am PAC/1pm EST (OpenRPG)

The game is based in Middle Earth, but runs off an alternate history. The PCs will be inhabiting a world several centuries into the Fourth age (after the end of the War of the Ring), with the twist being that the war was lost, and Sauron recovered his ring.

The "Free Peoples" are mostly in hiding, gone for the Undying Lands, or enslaved by Sauron or any number of his allies, and its this world that the PCs arrive in.

The game works off core 3.5 (SRD only), and is very low power by typical standards; in fact, for those familiar with older versions of D&D (think early 80s Basic/Expert sets), the power level will feel similar. The world is that of the books, not the movies, so while the heroes stand out, they are by no means invincible.

The play style will be rather similar as well, as the game will be designed to make ample use of henchmen and hirelings (cohorts and followers, but not exactly in the 3E sense). While PC magic will be largely untouched power-wise, there will be story-based limitations, which I will cover in detail once everything has been assembled.

This game is very much built for those with interest in Middle Earth, particularly its history and geography. the PCs will in effect be entering a world where the likes of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli were never regarded as heroes, and the stage will be set for the PCs to become such (just not in the ultra-powerful, one-man army sense). While knowledge of Tolkien's writings is not required, its preferable, as it'll help in the understanding of the setting and what options there are.

I'm looking for at least 4 players, but I'm open for upwards of 6-8. There will be limitations on the number of certain classes (wizards, for example), and I've assembled a page of houserules in an attempt to find the right feel for the setting (or at least, as close as 3.5 can get).

If you have any questions, feel free to reply here. I've had several interested parties for Elves and Humans, so I'm particularly looking for players wishing to play Dwarves or Hobbits, tho' I'll give any character consideration.

Last edited:

Aegir

First Post
This games scheduled to begin next Saturday (19th) and is semi-closed, tho' I'd be willing to take on another dwarf PC, and/or 1-2 hobbits.

Remove ads