• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Hydra

szilard

First Post
Hydras are, in my mind, always tricky creatures to stat up. When I opened the 4e Monster Manual, I was disappointed in how they handled the write-up. It didn't really give the feel of multiple heads, and they had done away with the regeneration.

Then I had an epiphany. Why not write up a hydra as multiple monsters tied together? Each head could be a separate monsters - you could even use minions.

So, yeah. I wrote this up on my blog. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the idea.

-Stuart

Fredrik Svanberg

First Post
It's a great idea but there's a problem with using minions for the heads. The minion heads will get killed off pretty fast by area attacks, and that doesn't seem thematically appropriate (unless a weapon is involved). Perhaps you can solve it by making the minion heads immune to attacks that don't target AC, or something like that.

szilard

First Post
It's a great idea but there's a problem with using minions for the heads. The minion heads will get killed off pretty fast by area attacks, and that doesn't seem thematically appropriate (unless a weapon is involved). Perhaps you can solve it by making the minion heads immune to attacks that don't target AC, or something like that.

Hmmm... interesting thought - though it is possible that just raising their Reflex defense would be enough.

-Stuart

Unlogic

First Post
You'd need to add some comments as to the heads' size and speed.
Having each act as a separate Large creature with speed 5 doesn't really work or make sense.

They probably are okay at Small size, with a speed of 0, and leave all rearranging of them to be done via Twining Necks, and rephrase it to specify that it can shift any of its heads to a different square adjacent to it.

The body also doesn't have its own bite, and the separate position of each head effectively grants it Reach 2 and threatening reach. Hydra Feast and Lurking Strike don't really make sense as properties of the body either, they're things its heads are theoretically doing.

szilard

First Post
Ack. I'd meant to peg the heads at Medium.

I'm probably going to revise this based on the comments I've received.

Thanks.

Stuart

Obergnom

First Post
I love the concept of making the hydra a multi-monster beast. Brilliant! I do not think using minions is a good idea, though. The heads need to be somewhat tougher. (I would give them something similar to Zombie Weakness though. A crit should cut of a head, no matter how many hps it has left.)

Remove ads