• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Magic Rules

MaxKaladin

First Post
I'm looking for alternate magic rules for an upcoming campaign. I'd like to set up a setting where magic simply isn't as strong as normal. The problem is that most of the alternate systems I've seen, such as those in Unearthed Arcana, seem to boost the power of casters rather than reducing it.

One caveat is that I want to keep the rules such that magic using characters can still function using the standard rules if necessary. The reason for this is that the campaign area will be under the effect of an artifact that impedes magic. It will be possible for casters from outside of this area to come into it and for casters from inside of this area to leave it. In either case, I need the rules to allow seamlessly transitioning between the standard rules of magic and the new rules I use for this region. I say the standard rules because in a previous campaign, the rest of the world has been established to be operating under the standard D&D rules.

I've thought of eliminating certain spells like teleport and then increasing all casting times within the effect by one "unit" such that a one action spell takes a full round, a quickened spell takes one action, a one full round spell takes a minute and so on up the line. That would certainly help out with combat, but not so much outside of combat.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I've been using 3.0, not 3.5.

Thanks!

wighair

Explorer
simple ones....

You could bump the level of all spells up a level.

Give everyone automatic bonuses to saving throws

Give everyone automatic bonuses to Spell resistance

always require concentration rolls & Give everyone automatic penalties to concentration rolls

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Part of the problem is that easy nerfs (saving throw bonuses or SR for everyone) doesn't reduce the efficacy of spells that don't affect hostile targets, like wall of stone or fly. Here's a thought: the Manual of the Planes has a section on low-magic worlds. That might have decent rules for you.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
You could apply a penalty to caster level - perhaps 50% - just inside the area? Perhaps their highest level spells also don't work?

I'd consider upping sorcerors and wizards from the area in some other ways. They're not going to be much fun if the PCs are spending all their time in the nullified area? Also do something about Druidic Wild shape or they'll be rather a 'strong' choice.

Another possible is to make the bards the most powerful spellcaster. They don't do much 'artillery' magic. The 'compensations' are already built into the class. Possibly allow a focus other than music - mainly for variety.

Make Pcs take 1 non spellcaster level for each caster level. Slowed magic, but get other stuff to show for it?

You could handwave that teleportation does not exist/no-one has developed it. Although, more inventive solutions can be fun - like from casting to arrival takes 10 rounds and anyone within 200 yards of the destination knows who is arriving, where they're going and have a 10 round warm up? Stops Buff/Scry/Teleport, but still allows fast movement.

MaxKaladin

First Post
I'll have to give the Manual of the Planes a look to see what it has to offer. I hadn't thought of that one.

I rather like the caster level penalty effect. I'll have to consider using that. I also like the "slow teleport" idea.

I don't really mind Druids being a strong choice since they're actually the ones behind the "curse". It was their way of hiding their people from a bunch of magically powerful folks. (Picture the Gauls fleeing from Romans backed up by D&D style "artillery mages".) They fled more than 1500 miles across open ocean to a new land and set this magic into place to prevent scrying and teleportation magic and to dampen other magic. It would be logical for them to set this thing up to hinder their foes as much as possible while minimizing the amount they are themselves hindered. (Hehe, I guess you could say it was their way of preventing a strategic military version of "buff, scry, teleport" tactics.)

This is all for a pseudo-Arthurian game where I imagine many of the players will want to be knights so I'm thinking I might not have that many magic using types to worry about but I plan to compensate for the weaker magic by giving them increased ability to make potions as a start. It may not sound like much but I'm hoping it will give any PC arcane casters opportunities for strategic magic use via stored magic in the form of potions. I'm envisioning PC spellcasters being able to whip up potions easier or faster making their selection of spells more versatile, but not terribly powerfully individually.

Spatzimaus

First Post
If you artificially raise one area of magic, such as casting time, caster level, or saving throw, the players will ALWAYS find those few spells unaffected. Caster level? True Strike. Saving throw? Cure Light Wounds. And so on.

I'd suggest some more generic ones, penalties that don't depend on the specifics of the spell. For instance:
1> In addition to the usual costs, all spells deal 2 points of damage to the caster per level of the spell. Nothing can reduce this damage. Anyone who falls unconscious as the result of this damage goes into a coma, and won't wake up after being healed above zero. (Natural healing will eventually bring them out of it, though.)
2> All spells are less predictable. Every time the player wants to cast a spell, roll 1d6. On a 4, 5, or 6 it works as normal. On a 2 or 3 it fizzles. On a 1, it has some negative effect, DM's discretion. (If you want this to be less random, make it a skill; DC = 15 + 2*spell level, failing by 5 or more causes the negative effect.)
3> Make Material components matter by making them rare and/or expensive. Instead of a lump of bat guano, it has to be a lump of Consecrated Vampire Bat Guano harvested on Midwinter's Day, costing 100gp per use if store-bought. The player could always go collect it himself, of course. Heh. Heh.

I'm sure you could come up with more of these.

MaxKaladin

First Post
Spatzimaus said:
If you artificially raise one area of magic, such as casting time, caster level, or saving throw, the players will ALWAYS find those few spells unaffected. Caster level? True Strike. Saving throw? Cure Light Wounds. And so on.
Well, I don't mind them having some effective spells and my biggest worry is keeping the wizards from fireballing the charging knights or the opposing men at arms. Caster level will go a long way towards doing that.

Spatzimaus said:
2> All spells are less predictable. Every time the player wants to cast a spell, roll 1d6. On a 4, 5, or 6 it works as normal. On a 2 or 3 it fizzles. On a 1, it has some negative effect, DM's discretion. (If you want this to be less random, make it a skill; DC = 15 + 2*spell level, failing by 5 or more causes the negative effect.)
Sounds a bit like wild magic :eek: I may just have to use wild magic!

Stormborn

Explorer
You could keep the standard spell casting classes and spells and simply make them pay a price for the spell casting, or maybe even just for Arcane spellcasting if it was the Druids who set it up in the first place. Ability Damage is a simple way to go, or you could have a cumilative effect, say taint or insanity, that built up as they cast spells. If the wizard wants to cast that fireball, let him, as long as he knows that the backlash will probablly almsot destroy him.

Nellisir

Hero
Can you be any more specific about the kind of effect you're looking for? Depending on what you're trying to do, you could...

- remove the ability score modifier to save DCs, turning spell power into a fixed and known quantity;

- double ability score bonuses against arcane, divine or all spells and spell-like effects;

- require a Spellcraft or Concentration check of 10+ spell level (easy), 10 + (spell level x2) (pretty easy); or 15 + spell level (harder), or 20 + spell level (1st level spell DC 21) -- unrushed casters could take 10, essentially (though not actually) changing casting time to 1 minute;

- change the spell levels of all affected spells, either individually or by school and type (all [teleport] type spells gain +2 levels; all Divination spells gains +1 level...);

- cause spells to inflict subdual (nonlethal) damage equal to their level (does not provoke a Concentration check);

- require the caster to make a Fort save or take ability damage...

There are some ideas, anyways

Cheers
Nell.

VirtualWizard

Explorer
A lot depends on the effect you are looking for. If you simply want to prevent access to high level spells, then allow characters to have no more levels in arcane/divine classes than half their charcter level.
If you are looking to reduce the effect of hostile spells, then give everyone spell resistance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads