• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Paladin Class Features

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Daunting Strike looks awfully weak, what with Tide of Iron to directly compare it to.
Tide of Iron has the requirement that you need a shield, so you can only use it with one-handed weapons. Daunting Strike can be used with one-handed or two-handed weapons (it doesn't require a shield), so I felt that it need to be "balanced" by doing less damage. Although, now that I think of it, it could just do 1[W] damage. Another possibility is that Daunting Strike could do 1[W]+Cha mod, but only has the push effect on targets marked by the paladin.

FWIW, the barbarian's Pressing Strike puts both these powers to shame. :)

keterys

First Post
Yeah... the barbarian mostly offends my balance sensor, since they've baked its extra damage feature into all its powers.

Which is not cool, really.

At any rate, requiring a shield on a defender is not much of a limitation. Less of one, than, say, 'must wield a light blade or crossbow', which doesn't appear to be worth much of anything.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah... the barbarian mostly offends my balance sensor, since they've baked its extra damage feature into all its powers.

Which is not cool, really.

It really makes barbarian powers non-transportable doesn't it....The ranger well you can nearly squint a little and use his powers for a defender

Nahat Anoj

First Post
At any rate, requiring a shield on a defender is not much of a limitation. Less of one, than, say, 'must wield a light blade or crossbow', which doesn't appear to be worth much of anything.
I decided to go with it doing 1[w]+Cha damage on a hit and pushing the target if the target is marked.

The only thing that concerns me right now is that paladins with Vindicator's Calling using Valiant Strike get at least a +2 to hit a monster marked by the paladin. That's pretty darn nice for an at-will, especially at lower levels. But I guess with powers like Twin Strike, Righteous Brand, and Pressing Strike out there, this one's not so bad. :)

I got the player of the half-elf avenging paladin in my campaign to give this a try. I'm excited to see how it all goes. :)

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I've gotten every power up to level 20 finished. I just need to do level 17 encounter powers (which will require a bit more thinking from me :p ), and the paragon paths (although those are pretty easy). I'm saving the epic powers for when I have a bit more experience with that level of play, and I've just been too lazy to do the paragon paths. I'll post what I have when I get a chance.

Does anyone know how I could mock up these powers, class abilities, and class background so it looks like it comes from the PH? I don't want to try selling this of course - I just want my personal file to look "authentic." :) What computer program do they use to do that?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I've gotten every power up to level 20 finished. I just need to do level 17 encounter powers (which will require a bit more thinking from me :p ), and the paragon paths (although those are pretty easy). I'm saving the epic powers for when I have a bit more experience with that level of play, and I've just been too lazy to do the paragon paths. I'll post what I have when I get a chance.

Does anyone know how I could mock up these powers, class abilities, and class background so it looks like it comes from the PH? I don't want to try selling this of course - I just want my personal file to look "authentic." :) What computer program do they use to do that?

Cool, hmmm I would use Pagemaker myself if I was inclined, nolonger in production though I think... Adobe has another app.. that takes its place cant remember its name. Not sure if Open Office can do it.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
Just thought I'd update the thread with my progress. I haven't yet figured out how to do layout (end of the semester is a busy time!), but here's what I have, up to level 3.

The biggest change from my earlier version is that I went ahead and made a Con secondary paladin build. I wanted half-elves to be good redeeming paladins, so I just changed the redeeming paladin from Wis to Con. Also, I added in a bit of fluff briefly explaining how paladins came to be.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

PALADIN REDESIGN

CLASS TRAITS

Role: Defender. You are extremely durable, with high hit points and the ability to wear the heaviest armor. You can issue bold challenges to foes and compel them to fight you rather than your allies.
Power Source: Divine. You are a divine warrior, a crusader and protector of your faith.
Key Abilities: Charisma, Strength, Constitution, Wisdom

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide, chainmail, scale, plate; heavy shields, light shields.
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, military melee, simple ranged.
Implement: Holy Avenger, Holy Symbol
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude, +1 Reflex, +1 Will.

Hit Points at 1st Level: 15 + Constitution Score.
Hit Points per Level Gained: 6
Healing Surges per Day: 10 + Constitution Modifier.

Trained Skills: Religion. From the class skills list below, choose 3 more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), History (Int), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Religion (Int).

Build Options: Protecting Paladin, Redeeming Paladin, Vindicating Paladin.
Class features: Channel Divinity, Divine Challenge, Lay on Hands.

At the dawn of time, terrible evils sought to unmake the world. Seeking warriors to fend off these transcendent threats, the gods of law and righteousness shouted a rallying call that reverberated throughout the cosmos. Those who answered this call became the first paladins, shining beacons of hope in a universe wracked by darkness and turmoil.

The paladins of the present age are indomitable souls stirred to action by the still-resounding echoes of the gods' ancient call. Motivated and driven, their zeal and dedication allows them to smite enemies, bolster allies, and defend their charges using divine power. They excel at compelling foes to single combat, and their light-blessed attacks make them the bane of the undead and other foul creatures.

Now, noble paladin, stride forth into battle with holy sword in hand and blessed shield at the ready. Strike down the wicked in the name of righteousness!

BUILDS

[SBLOCK]PROTECTING PALADIN

You defend your allies by making it difficult for enemies to attack anyone else but you. Many of your abilities increase the effectiveness of your marks or make ignoring you an onerous task. Your best ability score should be Charisma. Choose Wisdom for your second-best score, reflecting your dedication to defense and weapon skill. Both Constitution or Strength are good third scores. Choosing Constitution emphasizes resilience and helps with supporting allies, while choosing Strength helps with making attacks. Carry a heavy shield to improve your defenses and wield a one-handed weapon such as a longsword or warhammer. Choose powers that stymie the efforts of foes to hurt your allies.

Suggested Calling: Protector's Calling
Suggested Feat: Toughness (Human feat: Human Perseverance)
Suggested Skills: Endurance, Intimidate, Insight, Religion
Suggested At-Will Powers: challenging strike, warding strike
Suggested Encounter Power: threatening smite
Suggested Daily Power: radiant delirium

REDEEMING PALADIN

You have an overwhelming desire to lead others out of darkness and into the light of righteousness. The majority of your abilities bolster and rejuvenate your allies, compelling your adversaries to target you first. Charisma should be your best score, representing your dedication and strong will. Redeemers need excellent physical reserves of energy to match their zeal, so choose Constitution as your second-best score. Wisdom is a good third score to increase the amount of healing you can do.

Suggested Calling: Redeemer's Calling
Suggested Feat: Toughness (Human feat: Action Surge)
Suggested Skills: Diplomacy, Endurance, Insight, Religion
Suggested At-Will Powers: bolstering strike, daunting strike
Suggested Encounter Power: radiant smite
Suggested Daily Power: paladin’s judgment

VINDICATING PALADIN

You burn with the desire to punish the wicked and smite the unbelievers. You safeguard your allies by destroying your enemies and presenting yourself as an imminent threat. Choose Charisma as your highest ability score. Strength should be your second-best ability score, the physical reflection of your spiritual power. Choosing Constitution as your third score to increase your resilience. To deal more damage to your enemies, consider wielding a great weapon, such as a great sword or great axe.

Suggested Calling: Vindicator's Calling
Suggested Feat: Power Attack (Human Feat: Human Perseverance)
Suggested Skills: Endurance, History, Intimidate, Religion
Suggested At-Will Powers: holy strike, valiant strike
Suggested Encounter Power: fearsome smite
Suggested Daily Power: on pain of death[/SBLOCK]

PALADIN CLASS FEATURES

Paladins have the following class features.

[SBLOCK]Channel Divinity

Once per encounter, you can use a Channel Divinity power. You start with two Channel Divinity powers: excoriate undead and a power determined by your Divine Calling. You can gain additional Channel Divinity powers by taking divinity feats.

Divine Calling

You have heard the ancient call to duty deep within your soul. Perhaps it as an impulse to ardently defend of the meek, a desire to lead others to salvation, or a righteous thirst to avenge wrongs. Whatever the case, you answered the call and gained the ability to channel the power of the gods. Through long years of training and prayer you further developed an affinity for a chosen path.

Choose one of the options described below. The Divine Calling you choose provides you with a Channel Divinity power and also provides bonuses to certain paladin powers, as detailed in those powers.

Protector's Calling
You have heard the call to protect and defend followers your deity and those under your care. Whenever you use a divine power that lets you mark a target, the marked target receives an additional -1 penalty to attacks that don't include you.

Channel Divinity: You gain the Channel Divinity power divine intervention.

Redeemer's Calling
Your calling is to relieve the suffering of others and lead them out of shadow. You gain another daily use of lay on hands.

Channel Divinity: You gain the Channel Divinity power divine mettle.

Vindicator's Calling
Your god has chosen you to be its weapon, smiting those who oppose you and your faith. You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls on encounter and daily paladin attack powers against targets marked by you.

Channel Divinity: You gain the Channel Divinity power divine strength.[/SBLOCK]

SIDEBAR: PALADINS AND DEITIES
[SBLOCK]All gods can and do claim paladins as their divine champions. However, the gods that do so most often are those who desire to impose some sort of order on the world and those who dwell in it, be it for goodness or for tyranny. This generally translates into gods with lawful or good tendencies - lawful gods generally have greater discipline and the desire to advance grand agendas, while good gods are generally more motivated to strike down evil than the converse.

Lawful and good, Bahamut and Moradin are generally considered as having the most paladins in their service. However, Avandra and Pelor are served by large numbers of paladins as well. Erathis and the Raven Queen are propitiated by unaligned paladins with a thirst for order. Evil paladins typically revere Asmodeus, Bane, and Tiamat.[/SBLOCK]

CLASS FEATURES

Each paladin has the Channel Divinity power excoriate undead. Your choice of Divine Calling determines the other Channel Divinity power you start with.

[SBLOCK]Channel Divinity: Divine Intervention
You petition your deity to stymie an attack that would otherwise harm an ally.
Encounter; Divine
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 10
Trigger: An enemy hits an ally with an attack
Target: The attacking enemy
Effect: The enemy receives a penalty to the attack equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle
You beseech your deity to cast off an ally's debilitating affliction.
Encounter; Divine
Minor Action Close burst 10
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: The target makes a saving throw with a bonus equal to your Constitution modifier.

Channel Divinity: Divine Strength
You ask your deity for the divine strength to lay low your enemies.
Encounter; Divine
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Apply your Strength modifier as extra damage on your next attack this turn.

Channel Divinity: Excoriate Undead
You shine like a beacon of righteousness and shout a condemnation to undead foes, searing them with holy light and compelling them to face you in combat.
Encounter; Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Close burst 5
Target: Each undead creature in the burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage, and you pull the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). In addition, the target is marked until the end of your next turn.
Level 5: 2d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.
Level 11: 3d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.
Level 15: 4d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.
Level 21: 5d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.
Level 25: 6d10 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is not pulled or marked.

Divine Challenge
You boldly confront a nearby enemy, searing it with divine light if it ignores your challenge.
At-Will; Divine, Radiant
Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: One creature in burst
Effect: You mark the target. The target remains marked until you use this power against another target, or if you fail to engage the target (see below). A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.

While the target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn't include you as a target. Also, it takes 3 + your Charisma modifier radiant the first time it makes an attack that does not include you. The damage increases to 6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 9 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.

On your turn, you must engage the target you challenged or challenge a different target. To engage the target, you must either attack it or end your turn adjacent to it. If none of these events occur by the end of your turn, the marked condition ends and you can’t use divine challenge on your next turn.

You can use divine challenge once per turn.

Special: Even though this ability is called a challenge, it doesn’t rely on the intelligence or language ability of the target. It’s a magical compulsion that affects the creature’s behavior, regardless of the creature’s nature. You can’t place a divine challenge on a creature that is already affected by your or another character’s divine challenge.[/SBLOCK]

Level 1 At-Will Powers

[SBLOCK]Bolstering Strike
Your attack against a hated foe emboldens and invigorates your allies.
At-Will; Divine, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage. If the target is marked by you, allies adjacent to you receive temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma at 21st level.

Challenging Strike
At-Will; Divine, Weapon
Special: If you are bloodied, the attack is against the lower of AC or Will
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage and the target is marked until the end of your next turn or until you move into a square not adjacent to the target.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma modifier at 21st level.

Daunting Strike
Your powerful assault forces your enemy to fall back.
At-Will; Divine, Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage. If the target is marked by you, you push the target 1 square if it is your size, smaller than you, or one size category larger. You can shift into the space that the target occupied.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma at 21st level.

Holy Strike
Your weapon ignites with holy light as you strike a hated enemy enemy.
At-Will; Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage. If the target is marked by you, you do additional damage equal to your Strength Modifier.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma modifier + Strength modifier at 21st level.

Valiant Strike
As you bring your weapon to bear, the odds against you add strength to your attack.
At-Will; Divine, Weapon
Attack: Charisma + 1 per enemy adjacent to you vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma modifier at 21st level.

Warding Strike
You imbue your attack with protective magic, making it harder for your foe to harm those under your protection.
At-Will; Divine, Weapon
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage. If the target is marked by you, it takes a penalty to attacks that don't include you equal to your Wisdom modifier.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Charisma at 21st level.[/SBLOCK]

Level 1 Encounter Powers

[SBLOCK]Fearsome Smite
When you strike a foe with your weapon, the force of the blow causes him to shudder and second-guess his tactics.
Encounter; Divine, Fear, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage. Until the end of your next turn, the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
Vindicator's Calling: The penalty to attack rolls is equal to 1 + your Strength modifier.

Radiant Smite
Your weapon glows with a pearly luminescence. Creatures of darkness shrink from its pure light, while your allies are inspired by its radiance.
Encounter; Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and one ally within 5 squares of you can make a saving throw.
Redeemer's Calling: The ally gains a bonus to the saving throw equal to your Constitution modifier.

Shielding Smite
A translucent golden shield forms in front of a nearby ally as you attack with your weapon.
Encounter; Divine, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage.
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, one ally within 5 squares of you gains a power bonus to AC equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Threatening Smite
Your weapon flashes with light as you attack, commanding the attention of nearby foes.
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and the target and a number of enemies adjacent to you equal to your Wisdom modifier are marked until the end of your next turn.
Protector's Calling: Instead of marking enemies adjacent to you, you may mark enemies up to 5 squares away from you.[/SBLOCK]

Level 1 Daily Powers

[SBLOCK]On Pain of Death
You invoke a prayer that wracks your foe with terrible pain and causes further pain whenever he makes an attack.
Daily; Divine, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 5
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma modifier damage. Once per round, the target takes 1d8 damage after making any attacks on its turn (save ends).
Miss: Half damage. Once per round, the target takes 1d4 damage after making any attacks on its turn (save ends).

Paladin's Judgment
Your melee attack punishes your enemy and heals an ally.
Daily; Divine, Healing, Weapon
Hit: 3[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and one ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.
Miss: One ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.

Radiant Delirium
You engulf your enemy in searing ribbons of radiance.
Daily; Divine, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 5
Hit: 3d8 + Charisma modifier radiant damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn. In addition, the target takes a –2 penalty to AC (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.[/SBLOCK]

Level 2 Utility Powers

[SBLOCK]Astral Speech

You speak with such compelling conviction that others find it difficult to refute your beliefs and claims.
Daily; Divine
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You gain a +4 power bonus to Diplomacy checks until the end of the encounter.

Aura of Protection

A moment's prayer activates a protective aura of pale white radiance, shielding allies from attack.
Daily; Divine
Standard Action Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain an aura 2. Allies within the aura receive a +1 power bonus to AC.

Martyr's Blessing

You step into an attack made against an adjacent ally to save your comrade.
Daily; Divine
Immediate Interrupt Close burst 1
Trigger: An adjacent ally is hit by a melee or a ranged attack
Effect: You are hit by the attack instead.[/SBLOCK]

Level 3 Encounter Powers

[SBLOCK]Arcing Smite
You swing your weapon in a wide arc that strikes not one but two creatures within your reach.
Targets: One or two creatures
Attack: Charisma vs. AC, one attack per target
Hit: 1[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and the target is marked until the end of your next turn.
Protector's Calling: You gain a power bonus to the attack equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Invigorating Smite

When you hit an enemy with your weapon, you and your allies suddenly feel invigorated by the divine power of your faith.
Encounter; Divine, Healing, Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage. If you are bloodied, you regain 5 + your Constitution modifier hit points. Bloodied allies within 5 squares of you also regain 5 + your Constitution modifier hit points.
Redeemer's Calling: You and your allies regain an additional 5 hit points.

Righteous Smite
Your righteous blow fills you and your nearby allies with preternatural resolve.
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain 5 + your Strength modifier, Constitution modifier, or your Wisdom modifier temporary hit points.

Staggering Smite
With a mighty swing of your weapon, you knock your enemy back.
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma modifier damage, and you push the target a number of squares equal to your Strength modifier.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads